Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 WHAT IS HAPPENING TO REMINGTON? >

WHAT IS HAPPENING TO REMINGTON?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

WHAT IS HAPPENING TO REMINGTON?

Old 03-30-2005, 10:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: WHAT IS HAPPENING TO REMINGTON?

jderddish, well said I agree. I do own or have owned rifles in Remington, Winchester, Ruger, Savage, and Weatherby. I have yet to own a Browning rifle but I do own a Browning Gold shotgun, my inlaws all own Browning A-Bolts. Everyone has their pro's and con's. Believe it or not my most problematic rifle was my very first .300 WBY in a WBY Mark V Sporter. I don't know what was wrong with it but it was sticky and didn't want to extract the emptys out. After 5 to 8 quick shots the bolt would not even open until it cooled down. I was only 15 when I bought that rifle and only used it for 2 years and I sold it and bought a Winchester Model 70 in .300 WBY that gun was very accurate. The only draw back was I am left handed and it was a right handed gun. I sold it a few years ago, because I mostly bowhunt and I had a lot of medical bills to pay. I can't complain about my left hand Rem 700 LSS in .300 RUM that I bought a year ago.
Old 03-30-2005, 10:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: frizzellr

Spoken like a true Remington fan that is in pure denial. You show me one cheap made Ruger. Rugers are built like tanks. Not so with your precious Remington POS.

The Ruger triggers feel just like a tank also I'd say it would also be easier to hit something with the tank gun...so there may be a lot of similarities there As far as a Savage goes..ya cant go wrong with em.

From a proud Remington POS owner!
Old 03-30-2005, 11:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Doe Dumper

The Ruger triggers feel just like a tank also I'd say it would also be easier to hit something with the tank gun...so there may be a lot of similarities there As far as a Savage goes..ya cant go wrong with em.

From a proud Remington POS owner!
Actually my friend and I just went through this scenerio because we both got trigger jobs done from our gunsmith at the same time. His 700 classic was reduced from 5-3/4 lbs down to 2-3/4 and my 77 MKII was reduced from 4.5 down to 2-3/4 so actually his Rem had a harder trigger from the factory than my Ruger. Sorry DD I am pickin on you alot aint I
Old 03-31-2005, 01:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SWAMPMAN

I WAS KILLING TIME AT THE GUNSTORE TODAY,(SOMETHING I'M VERY GOOD AT) AND I CAN'T HELP BUT NOTICE HOW CHEAPLY MADE THE NEW 700'S FEEL. THE BOLT WAS STICKY, IT EVEN RATTLED A BIT WHEN I SHOOK IT. THE OVERALL FEEL OF THE RIFLE WAS DIFFERENT AND THE LOP SEEMED SHORT. HAS ANYONE ELSE NOTICED THIS? MAYBE I JUST FORGOT MY PILLS, BUT I WAS SHOCKED.

sounds like you were looking at a model 710..............
Old 03-31-2005, 04:15 AM

Remington isnt cheaply made. If its anyone that is cheaply making rifles then its savage and ruger. lol???????

Ok I own Remington's, Ithaca's, Mossberg's even Winchester's .....Actually going out to Buy a Nice 700 BDL SS in 300 SAUM here soon, But Savage rifles are ugly, which everyone knows, But can & has been shown to out preform Remington rifles in 308 Models as well as 223 etc etc etc As for Ruger I find there Bolt action Loose & sloppy , This does not mean its A bad built gun, Just maybe That (1) gun Wasnt built properly.....To each there own, But Savage & some rugers Are the best built guns around as well as Remingtons, & esp Ithaca shotguns, Iam a NYer We live on Ithaca made guns here......If you want a truely Built rifle thats on the market, Look up Kimber & pay the price to own one....

Raymond
Old 03-31-2005, 04:58 AM

Sounds like I started something I didn't mean to. I was merely stating that my older remington 700 feels better, has a slicker bolt, and , in general, is a higher quality rifle than the ones I was handling yesterday. I am not a Remington basher. With regards to the 710, Let's not go there. I own several Remingtons and wouldn't trade them for all the custom rifles made. The biggest gripe i have ever had with Remington was their marketing department ruining my favorite cartridge....The 280 Remington.[:@]
Old 03-31-2005, 06:06 AM

Ok, guys. I'm probably going to start something here, sound like a moron, or more, but here it goes: Unfortunately, I can't try out all the new guns on the market that come through the shop (can't sell them as new if I did that..... fraud, ya know?). However, when something comes in as a trade, I can take it out back and fire a few rounds. Now I don't own either personally, but last spring (or maybe the spring before, I'm getting old), I took my own personal 700 BDL, a Rem 710, and a Savage F116 out back. Truth is the old BDL looked better, felt better, etc. but the ugly, POS 710, and the ugly cheaply stocked F116 shot just as well. I will admit the 710 is gaining a reputation as having mechanical issues, but I know a bunch of folks who love their Savages. So, the point I'm really going for here is that some of these ugly, cheap guns are good shooters. When the 710 first came out (even before the recalls), I took one on a boar hunt...... dead pig at 125 yards! I wouldn't buy one today, but also have to admit they can do what they are supposed to do.

You all are correct though, my 1988 Remington 700 feels better/looks of a higher quality than the stuff being sold today!

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, my lovely wife uses a newer youth model 7..... the birch stock looks cheap, feels cheap........ but boy can she shoot that gun!
Old 03-31-2005, 06:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Actually my friend and I just went through this scenerio because we both got trigger jobs done from our gunsmith at the same time. His 700 classic was reduced from 5-3/4 lbs down to 2-3/4 and my 77 MKII was reduced from 4.5 down to 2-3/4 so actually his Rem had a harder trigger from the factory than my Ruger. Sorry DD I am pickin on you alot aint I
Please don't even say something like this. I am not taking anything away from the Ruger but its trigger unless completely replaced cannot come near a Remingtons..
Old 03-31-2005, 06:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sounds like I started something I didn't mean to. I was merely stating that my older remington 700 feels better, has a slicker bolt, and , in general, is a higher quality rifle than the ones I was handling yesterday. I am not a Remington basher.
I know the feeling ..pick up one of the old ones and compare it to new and no comparism
Old 03-31-2005, 06:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

You all are correct though, my 1988 Remington 700 feels better/looks of a higher quality than the stuff being sold today!
Right about that year is when I had my first problem with a Remington..prior to that not one .

Quick Reply: WHAT IS HAPPENING TO REMINGTON?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.