Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 WHAT IS HAPPENING TO REMINGTON? >

WHAT IS HAPPENING TO REMINGTON?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

WHAT IS HAPPENING TO REMINGTON?

Old 03-30-2005, 05:20 PM

Default WHAT IS HAPPENING TO REMINGTON?

I WAS KILLING TIME AT THE GUNSTORE TODAY,(SOMETHING I'M VERY GOOD AT) AND I CAN'T HELP BUT NOTICE HOW CHEAPLY MADE THE NEW 700'S FEEL. THE BOLT WAS STICKY, IT EVEN RATTLED A BIT WHEN I SHOOK IT. THE OVERALL FEEL OF THE RIFLE WAS DIFFERENT AND THE LOP SEEMED SHORT. HAS ANYONE ELSE NOTICED THIS? MAYBE I JUST FORGOT MY PILLS, BUT I WAS SHOCKED.
Old 03-30-2005, 05:28 PM

Default RE: WHAT IS HAPPENING TO REMINGTON?

Please, just press this button.

Old 03-30-2005, 05:58 PM

^^^^^ Bwahhahahaha...yeah, I think remington is gradually forgetting what made them a big name.
Old 03-30-2005, 06:38 PM

Remington isnt cheaply made. If its anyone that is cheaply making rifles then its savage and ruger. Their bolts rattle, the sling swivels make noise even if you dont make them move. Remington's rifles dont do that. If remington has made a mistake then it was canceling the 700 ADL synthetic line of rifles and creating the SPS. The absolute only difference between the 2 is the SPS has a hinged floor plate and the ADL dont. THATS IT.
Old 03-30-2005, 07:27 PM

its anyone that is cheaply making rifles then its savage and ruger.
Savage has always seemed a little cheesy, but their rifles will outshoot anything out of the box,Ihave very little experience with Rugers but i do own several Remington 700's. None of mine feel like the 2005 i was handling today. My 78 vintage bdl is several times the quality of the rifle i handled today. N ot trying to ruffle any feathers, I love Remington as well as anyone, just pointing out my observation.
Old 03-30-2005, 07:45 PM

Ah, bitch, bitch, bitch ...... What model did you look at? A 710?
Anyway, I like my Remington 700 (LSS Mtn. rifle, 270Win.); Very good quality, and very accurate too!
As for the others in the Remington line-up, I think the SPS may be an improvement.
I prefer sights on my rifles, but I'm in the minority on that issue these days. Then too,
I can always put a set of Williams sights on it if really needed.
The Remington CDL may just be the best looking rifle they've made in some time.
Also like the LVSF(?) - lightweight varmint rifle - now if they would just bring it out also
in 243Win. Until then, I guess I could take a stainless SPS, and cut the barrel back. This would make a great varmint rig (IMHO - ?). Ah, humble my butt - IMO!

I used to be a big Ruger fan, and I still like the model 77 a lot, but I miss the tang safety, adjustable trigger, and five round capacity. Guess I'll just have to stick with the
one I've got (77RLS carbine in 358Win.). The International model would be a must have though if they made it in 6.5x55.

And, Winchester came out with a real winner again this year with their Featherweight model in stainless with walnut stock. Now, it's available in 6.5x55 - uhmmm?

There's a lot of good stuff available out there. Now and then anyone can run into a "lemon" from any of the majors. Personally, I like the choices we have available today. Sure a heck of a lot more than was available 30-40yr. ago, and the quality is much better too, overall, and especially with barrels. It used to be you counted yourself dang lucky if you got a rifle that would shoot 1-1/2" groups with any factory ammo.
Now, everyone gripes if it don't shoot 1" or better out the box!

And, ammo is another story. Selections for factory ammo today are so numerous as to border on being too much. And, for the most part, it's dang good stuff too! Consistency
from lot to lot is much better with todays manufacturing standards. And, I haven't shot a bad round in so many years I can't remember when I last had a dud or a squib.
Old 03-30-2005, 08:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Jeep4x4

Remington isnt cheaply made. If its anyone that is cheaply making rifles then its savage and ruger.
here we go another Savage basher!!! Dude do you realize you just bashed 7 of my 10 deer rifles!!! (5) Rugers and (2) Savages. I guess I just dont know quality guns huh????
Old 03-30-2005, 09:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

If its anyone that is cheaply making rifles then its savage and ruger.
Spoken like a true Remington fan that is in pure denial. You show me one cheap made Ruger. Rugers are built like tanks. Not so with your precious Remington POS.
Old 03-30-2005, 09:43 PM

Seems to me this is a "two headed monster" type of an argument. Remington, Savage, Ruger, etc..... COULD make a dandy of a rifle that was truly top notch quality in every way....... but not too many of us would buy them at $1500-$2000 a pop. Thinking of it from a purely business standpoint, they all can (and do) sacrifice some on quality to sell rifles at $500 -$800 (which means they'll sell a lot more!).

Besides, if every new rifle cost a pretty penny, we couldn't all own four or five "deer" rifles, right?

Easy solution..... start saving now.... and in a year or two have your dream rifle custom made for about $2000. Once you have that perfect rifle, you can go back to playing with new (more affordable) rifles of various calibers, lengths, etc. All the fun stuff we like to experiment with on $500 rifles that we wouldn't dare do when we are dropping two large!

With all that being said, look at used rifles..... since all the WSM hoopla, a guy (or gal) doesn't have to look too far to find some REAL quality used stuff. I know a guy who picked up a Winchester Super Grade in .270 Win for $400 with not a mark on it!
Old 03-30-2005, 09:50 PM
Fork Horn

hmm well I've owned em all so let me put my 2 cents in here. My Savage my be a clunky POS but it will out shoot any other rifle I have. My Ruger is nothing less than beautiful and very well made, but 3" are all I expect out of that inaccurate SOB. My Remington Looks nice, feels nice, and shoots nice I have no complaints. My Browning is just plain sexy, and shoots almost as good as the Savage.
I don't hate Ruger just becuase my M77 could'nt hit water if it fell out of a boat. They all have their good points & bad points and yes believe it or not every once in a while you come across a dud.

Quick Reply: WHAT IS HAPPENING TO REMINGTON?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.