Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Slug Question >

Slug Question

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Slug Question

Old 03-24-2005, 09:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Slug Question

It very simply comes down to this. This gentleman just acquired a new rifled barrel. He is not very familiar with slug guns. He asked our recommendation on whether he should shoot rifled slugs. We know nothing about his gun or his maintanence habits.
To simply answer him "yes" would be doing him a great disservice. Why would anyone want this man, to sit at home cleaning lead fouling out of his barrel, when there is absolutely no reasonable reason to do that? Why? So he can shoot a substandard projectile down his brand new barrel?
With todays available ammunition choices, good judgement says NO..
Old 03-24-2005, 09:38 PM

you can shoot both. as long as you clean the barrel, you will do fine with rifled slugs. this is what i use because i would rather spend $3-4 a box for rifled slugs than $8-9 for sabots. yeah, the sabots are the best thing to use and if money is not an issue you should go for it, but i find rifled slugs to shoot great as well...its up to you
Old 03-24-2005, 10:07 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: 12 pointer

you can shoot both. as long as you clean the barrel, you will do fine with rifled slugs. this is what i use because i would rather spend $3-4 a box for rifled slugs than $8-9 for sabots. yeah, the sabots are the best thing to use and if money is not an issue you should go for it, but i find rifled slugs to shoot great as well...its up to you
I AGREE WITH YOU! I ALSO SHOOT BOTH.IF THAT'S WHAT YOU CAN AFFORD,
HEY! THEY SHOOT GREAT TOO, I DON'T BLAME YOU.
Old 03-24-2005, 10:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Another issue with rifled slugs is the need to be sensitive to barrel length. Todays factory rifled slug guns, as well as most aftermarket rifflled barrels tend be at least 20+in. This makes shooting rifled slugs even more detrimental to downrange trajectory.

With rifled slug design....
Once all the powder is burned and the slug reaches terminal velocity (and the rifling has imparted spin to the slug), the barrel's job is done. That happens in the first 18-20 inches of barrel - a longer barrel only slows the slug down with friction.

This means that in todays rifled slug guns, many of which are 24in length, you have an extra 6in of barrel length accomplishing nothing but slowing your bullet.
Old 03-24-2005, 10:17 PM
Dominant Buck

jcc,he says he can't afford the sabots.
Old 03-24-2005, 10:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Which he are we talking about...think I'm getting lost here Kbrumback?
Old 03-24-2005, 10:31 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: jcchartboy

Which he are we talking about...think I'm getting lost here Kbrumback?
12 Pointer.
Old 03-24-2005, 10:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Oh..I understood him, thought maybe I missed something.
Old 03-25-2005, 05:49 AM
Spike

Gentlemen,

I apologize for all the controversy. I posted this msg and was called away for work.

After reading all the posts, I think it would would be best to provide some additional information.

Long winded version:
When I was a kid (I'm 38 now) all we had was lead shot and I don't remember it ever being a problem or any friends or family saying it was a problem for a shotgun.

Then they came out with steel or non-lead shot. All I heard was "Steel ammo could blow up your barrel" or "Don't use a full choke with steel or you'll blow the end off your barrel". All of a sudden, it seemed very important to know which ammo was safe for a shotgun.

Short version:
My question was to find out if the slugs in question were safe AND not damaging to the rifling of my barrel. If coating my barrel with lead works and means extra cleaning; that's fine, so long as I don't explode or damage the barrel.

I clean my rifles or shotguns after going to the range. Cleaning during hunting season depends on how many rounds I have fired. Also, I can afford rifled slugs or Sabots. I plan on using Sabots during deer season. Just trying to understand more about slugs.

Sorry to all for the poorly worded question.

Ken
Old 03-25-2005, 06:20 AM
Typical Buck

Stick with the sabots for accuracy from your rifled barrel, lead won't blow up your gun,just lead the lands and make accuracy very eratic.Leave the lead for smooth bores,also experiment with different sabots to find what your gun shoots well,Lightfields seem to shoot well in most rifled barrels.Good luck

Quick Reply: Slug Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.