Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Help! – New Bell and Carlson Stock Problem >

Help! – New Bell and Carlson Stock Problem

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Help! – New Bell and Carlson Stock Problem

Old 03-21-2005, 12:49 PM

Default Help! – New Bell and Carlson Stock Problem

I was wondering if anyone here has experience with Bell and Carlson Carbelite Classic stocks? I just bought a Bell and Carlson Carbelite Classic “drop in” stock from MidwayUSA for my Winchester 70 (.300 Win Mag) and I have a problem. The action fits into the stock properly, however the barrel channel of the stock seems to be molded slightly off-center. When you look down the length of the stock and barrel, the barrel appears to point to the left due to the barrel channel’s crookedness. Has anybody come across this before? I was hoping for a true “drop in” fit, but it doesn’t seem to be working out that way. Any advice or helpful hints are much appreciated, thanks.

Also, I do have a Dremel but I am very hesitant to use it on an otherwise nice stock. [8D]

Thanks!
Old 03-21-2005, 01:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Help! – New Bell and Carlson Stock Problem

Not unusual problem with a lot of so called drop in stocks in the raw . I would call them and ask them for the next step. Do not attempt home gunsmithing on it or they may void the warranty
Old 03-21-2005, 01:13 PM

Thanks oldelkhunter, I think I’d probably return it to Midway before I start amateur gunsmithing and ruin it. I’ll try to give them a call this afternoon to see what they say.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

A good gunsmith could fix it but it would be money out of your pocket. Let them fix it at no charge
Old 03-21-2005, 04:43 PM
Fork Horn

I had A similar expreience with Bell& carlson stocks I didn't want to send it back to Bell & Carlson so I fixed it myself [voiding the warranty] The last 4-5 stocks I have bought have been Hogue Overmold with the full-length bedding block all of these I have bought have been true drop-in and they are alot quieter than the Bell & Carlson the Hogue stocks seem alot better but that is just my opinion I hope this helps chad
Old 03-22-2005, 02:40 AM

I have had two B&C stocks installed on Remington actions. Both were done by a smith and both "drop ins" needed a little work. Look at the HS Precision stocks. I'm thinking of one next time.
Old 03-22-2005, 07:17 AM

Its not uncommon. I have not seen a really good drop in till you get to things like HS and McMillan. And even at that rate they all really need bedding. Even the HS with bedding blocks need bedding to perform the best.

FWIW IMHO if you don't bed the gun then there is really not much reason to swap stocks.
Old 03-22-2005, 09:25 AM

Thanks everybody for the words of wisdom. I’m not sure I want to undertake a huge expense replacing an otherwise good factory stock. I can foresee gunsmith charges doubling the cost of this stock in the end. Part of the reason I bought the B&C stock was that it was a nice color contrast with the matte black barrel/action and gray w/black spider web stock, but function-wise, the factory stock is sufficient (the recoil “pad” sucks though). I called B&C yesterday and a tech rep is supposed to be calling back, though I haven’t heard anything yet. I do own an HS Precision stock on a stainless Remington 700 7mm Mag and they’re nice, but expensive. I’ll have to see what B&C tech says.