Guns Buy, sell, or trade your guns and gun accessories here.

30-30...

Old 04-04-2005, 12:32 PM

Default RE: 30-30...

what i can tell ya is more deer have been shot with a 30 30 than any other rifle made .and a good gun in the hands of a good shot is all you need .
Old 04-07-2005, 12:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 30-30...

Center Fire
Fawn

will the .30-30 take an elk?
It has killed many elk and it can do it again, but I sure would advise against it. You have been given good advice that 100 yards would be about the max yards for elk. People have to remember that back when most of the hunters carried them that the shots were limited to 100 yards, because hunters didn't want to or couldn't shoot further. Scopes were new at the time and not dependable overall. Compared to today their was not much hunting pressure at all. Reading older hunting articles written in the 40's and going back if they saw game at 200 yards they would try to cut that distance in half or even closer. With today on a gereral seaon elk rifle hunt, if you see a elk at 200 yards you had better shoot it if you want it. If you don't you might not get another chance at it. Because of the hunting pressure, it is getting harder and harder to harvest an elk during general seaon. If you draw out on a special tag well thats another story. But trying to draw a good elk tag is like winning the lottery. Good luck