Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 LEFTIES AND RH ACTIONS >

LEFTIES AND RH ACTIONS

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

LEFTIES AND RH ACTIONS

Old 03-16-2005, 03:33 PM

Default RE: LEFTIES AND RH ACTIONS

SKEETER 7MM,
BOY, IF I HAD A NICKEL FOR EVERY TIME I HEARD THAT ONE. (BOY, YOU AIN'T HOLDING IT RIGHT. )(YOU'RE USING THE WRONG SHOULDER.) HAHA. THAT BROUGHT BACK OLD MEMORIES.
Old 03-16-2005, 04:00 PM
Typical Buck

I'm also with the others. I grew up shooting RH bolts and just got used to operating them. My Mom and Dad couldn't really afford to buy me a "new" LH bolt and there were very few used ones on the market around here back then. I did end up buying a used BDL 30-06 once, but it felt very awkward after shooting the righties for so long. I got hooked on T/C's single shots a few years back and don't see myself ever looking back.[8D]
Old 03-16-2005, 04:25 PM

I avoided bolt actions like the plague except for bench rest shooting, where it comes in handy slipping a cartridge into the open chamber. I learned to shoot them right handed when I had to use one. Then I lost the vision in my right eye, and it has been southpaw firearms ever since. I even bought a left handed pump shotgun, but was never bothered by the ejecting shell before I got it. Now that I don't see from the right eye, autos are no problem. I have found that some ambidexterous firearms are in reality right handed ones. Try to slip a cartridge under a low mounted scope on a Ruger #1 with your left hand.
Old 03-16-2005, 07:34 PM
Fork Horn

Grew up shooting RH guns because that's all that was available. Rifles and shotguns. I liked the O/Us and SxS shotguns, my 1906 .22, and the model 94 the best as they didn't seem to care if you were RH or LH. Started buying leftys as soon as possible and now I would have a hard time going back.

One place that I really like a RH bolt gun is on the bench at the range. It's easier to get the shells out and put them back in the box. Half the time when I cycle the bolt of a lefty, the shell hits the dirt.
Old 03-17-2005, 11:48 AM

I'm left-handed and have tried shooting right-handed bolts, but I just can't get the hang of it. I wouldn't trust myself to get off a quick follow-up shot that way.
Old 03-17-2005, 02:52 PM

I'm left handed and have been shooting right handed guns and compound bows for years.I just bought a left handed bolt gun but have not shot it yet.
Old 03-17-2005, 03:44 PM

Buckmaster9, Thanks for your response. The method you described is what I used to find out that I am indeed left eye dominant. I will stick with my RH bolt action and follow your advice. Again, many thanks.

Californiadoctor