Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 boss brakes and chrome barrels/other projects. >

boss brakes and chrome barrels/other projects.

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

boss brakes and chrome barrels/other projects.

Old 03-13-2005, 06:25 AM

Default boss brakes and chrome barrels/other projects.

I on a blued model 70 fiberglass feather weight 270 win and was wondering if I could get the barrel chromed by a gunsmith and get a boss brake put on to tune the rifle. The russian's and some german firearm industries have been chromeing barrels so that they won't rust and wear is much better and more rugged. I was wondering if there is space to chrome the barrel for the bullet to pass through.

I am plaining to scout mount a scope on my 357mag marlin 1984C and a magna port job done to my s/w 642 38 and my ruger SRH 44mag 9.5" hand cannon. I was thinking a millet dot handgun scope for my SRH or an illumated crosshair hangun scope. Any suggestions and tips or opinions will be very helpful.
Old 03-13-2005, 06:35 AM

Default RE: boss brakes and chrome barrels/other projects.

ummmmmmmmmmm
Old 03-13-2005, 09:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: boss brakes and chrome barrels/other projects.

If you want to "tune" your rifle, I'd suggest you try handloading. If you want to have a muzzlebrake installed, a gunsmith can install whatever brake you want for roughly $150 plus the cost of the brake.

Chrome lining a barrel is probably something you wouldn't be able to get done aftermarket. There are a few gun makers in the U.S. that chrome line the bore and chamber of their rifles; most AR-15 clones, as well as their big brother the M16A2+, have chromed bores and chambers. The simple fact of the matter is that chrome lining a bore is expensive and doesn't yield any real advantages for most civilian shooting applications. Chrome lining is something that is common among military rifles and machineguns and has a definite place there. Military weapons, unlike their civilian counterparts, are used under MUCH harsher conditions than any civilian firearm is likely to ever see. And I'm not just talking about climate or the presense of rain, mud or dirt. Military weapons are fired quickly and often when they are fired without much concern for heat buildup or throat erosion. I've seen M16A2's shot so hot that the handguards were starting to smoke and melt and the Marines on the line (myself included) had to hold their offhand on the magazine, and this is in a non-combat situation out in the California desert. Yet my weapon never failed to function (it did cook off a couple of rounds, though! ).

Chrome lining in an M16A2's bore increases service life under such conditions, where a non-lined bore would be shot smooth inside one firefight. Chrome lining the chamber also greatly increases reliability in these situations. Hot metal expands, and very hot brass, combined with a very hot chamber and very high pressures can easily create stuck cases, which are deadly in a firefight. This was one of the main shortcomings of the original M16, as it did not have a chromed bore to save cost. The troops in Viet Nam quickly learned that sustained full auto firing in 95+ degree heat equalled a failure to extract and a badly jammed rifle. The A1 varient that replaced the M16's had a chrome bore and corrected this shortcoming.

But the simple fact is that your deer rifle will never see as much ammo as fast as a military battle/assault rifle, nor is it designed to. Chrome lining the bore in your bolt-action is a needless and costly extra step that would just drive the cost of the gun up with no real advantage. You'd be much better off spending your money on a good trigger job and glass bedding the action.

Mike