Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Anyone have a .22 mag? >

Anyone have a .22 mag?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Anyone have a .22 mag?

Old 03-10-2005, 01:27 PM

Default Anyone have a .22 mag?

Looking for something that I can shoot a lot and cheaply. Ideally, I would like a .223, but most are little out of my price range. So I am looking at either a regular, old .22 or a .22 mag. is there any advantage of the mag? any disadvantage? Thanks
Old 03-10-2005, 02:50 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Anyone have a .22 mag?

Mag is great. so is a 22LR.

I would look into the `17WMR. Everybody I see if getting amazing results with them. And at 100yards. Something a 22LR has trouble doing.

Old 03-10-2005, 02:52 PM
DM

Advantage of a 22Win. mag. is more power and range.

Disavantage is the ammo cost a lot more!! Also they make quite a bit more noise than a 22lr, but of course not as loud as the 22 centerfires such as the .223.

I really like a 22 Win. mag. and have used one a lot over the years. On smaller animials like squirells, they will blow a fairly big hole through them, so you have to pick your shots, on the other hand they kill much better on bigger varmits like coyotes too.

Really it's all about what you plan to use the rifle for, and are you willing to pay 5 times more for the ammo!

Drilling Man
Old 03-10-2005, 03:04 PM

bigcountry
I would look into the `17WMR
Thats 17HMR, and ya its a little better than a 22Mag in my opinion. But you should go with the 22mag over the 22lr. You should look into the 17hmr, the ammo price is about the same as a 22mag, and maybe a 17 mach 2.
Old 03-10-2005, 03:19 PM

Well I already have an old .22 with a bent sight and the action jams alot and I always feel like I have to upgrade calibers. I am mostly just going to be plinkin and short range targets. Probably not hunt with it except the occasional squirrel that looks at me funny.
Old 03-11-2005, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you are just using it for plinking a .22 LR is hard to beat. You can buy a brick of shells for aywhere from $8-$12 and shoot all day. We have several different .22 Lr's and we'll go through a couple bricks a weekend just playing around. We also have a .22 Mag but we don't shoot it as much because the additional cost of the shells. Though for hunting it has more punch.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:27 AM

ORIGINAL: Busch7596
Well I already have an old .22 with a bent sight and the action jams alot and I always feel like I have to upgrade calibers. I am mostly just going to be plinkin and short range targets. Probably not hunt with it except the occasional squirrel that looks at me funny.
For the use you cited, go with a 22LR. Recommend take a look at a Ruger 10/22 as the
standard carbines are pretty inexpensive, and can be a very accurate & reliable gun.
There are also several models of Marlins bolt action rifles to consider, and Savage makes a few good ones too - also very inexpensive.

BTW, I have both, the 22LR and a 22mag. My 22LR is a Ruger 10/22, and it makes a great little plinker/target gun, and fun to go squirrel hunting with too. The 22mag is
a Ruger 77/22 target model. It's very accurate, and lots of fun to go after crows wth.
Old 03-12-2005, 04:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: aborquez18

Thats 17HMR, and ya its a little better than a 22Mag in my opinion. But you should go with the 22mag over the 22lr. You should look into the 17hmr, the ammo price is about the same as a 22mag, and maybe a 17 mach 2.
aborquez, im sure bigcountry knows that its a 17hmr given his knowlege he shares in these forums......no need for corrections please! And as far as your quote of "its a little better than the 22 mag"?????? better for what? Shooting groundhogs at 150 yrds? Coyotes? I dont think the advantage (velocity) of shooting a 17 gr bullet over a 40gr bullet verses the disadvantage of wind drift and less energy warrants saying that it is an all around "better" cartridge. I own both and can tell you that if Im groundhog hunting Ill take my Ruger 77/22wmr over the 77/17hmr anyday for varmits.

Now back to Busch's question. I agree that a 22lr is the gun to have for fun, and a semi is the way to go for hours of fun at the range. Nothing like blowing through 15 rounds before reloading, a bolt can be a pain sometimes for plinking.
Old 03-29-2005, 06:59 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: mossy33oak

aborquez, im sure bigcountry knows that its a 17hmr given his knowlege he shares in these forums......no need for corrections please! And as far as your quote of "its a little better than the 22 mag"?????? better for what? Shooting groundhogs at 150 yrds? Coyotes? I dont think the advantage (velocity) of shooting a 17 gr bullet over a 40gr bullet verses the disadvantage of wind drift and less energy warrants saying that it is an all around "better" cartridge. I own both and can tell you that if Im groundhog hunting Ill take my Ruger 77/22wmr over the 77/17hmr anyday for varmits.

Now back to Busch's question. I agree that a 22lr is the gun to have for fun, and a semi is the way to go for hours of fun at the range. Nothing like blowing through 15 rounds before reloading, a bolt can be a pain sometimes for plinking.

MOSSY,what are you saying? Man, the 22lr and 22mag is not for plinking! It's the round of DAH South!

Old 03-29-2005, 08:43 AM

ORIGINAL: mossy33oak

Alright old timer, no need to get butt chaped. Notice I said my OPINION?
And thats your opinion. So please keep those comments to yourself, if you feel the need to give me a lecture because I dont want to hear it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.