HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   wal-mart guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/93224-wal-mart-guns.html)

Todd1700 03-10-2005 10:39 PM

RE: wal-mart guns

This is a total lie usually started and perpetuated by smaller gun stores to try and scare people into buying from them instead of Wal-Mart and as a means to justify their higher prices. No matter where a gun sells it still bears the company name of the manufacturer on it. In other words it's still their reputation shot to hell if the gun is a P.O.S. No way are these companies going to make a substandard gun just to sell to Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart can sell cheaper simply because they buy in a volume most small stores can't even imagine. Call Remington up and order one hundred thousand 870 pump shotguns and they will cut you a far better deal than someone that orders 12.

I have a Beretta 390 12 gauge that came from Wal-Mart. A friend of mine has the exact same model that he bought from a local sporting goods store. When I first heard this now tired old rumour I compared our two guns in look, fit and function and can say with total certainty that there is no difference. Well, except for the fact that he paid more for his.

driftrider 03-10-2005 11:37 PM

The M700 ADL synthetic I bought at Wally World is the exact same M700 I ADL I could buy at Scheel's or Gander Mountain, and any ma 'n' pop gun store in the land...lock, stock and barrel. The only thing wrong with it was that it had been sitting around for a couple years in their store room until someone decided to unload it cheap and clearanced it for $275, and had a VERY slight bit of surface rust that came off with a CLP soaked patch. Can't even tell it was ever there. I bought it to play with and to provide a barrelled action for a 7mm-08 for my wife to hunt with when we move to Colorado. Bet you can't talk your dealer into selling an ADL for $275, no matter how long it sat there. $450 at a gun store or $275 at Wal-Mart...isn't a tough call for me.

On a side note, I guess I can't see why people rag on Wal-Mart so bad. Wal-Mart is a product of good, old fashioned free market capitalism and was built from a one man operation into the biggest retail chain in the world. And while like all the other retail chains, it sells a lot of foreign made stuff, it's still based right here in the United States. It's a far cry better than shopping at Target and providing wine and cologne money for a bunch of stinking commie Frenchmen. --Steps off soapbox--

Mike

Highpower 03-11-2005 07:46 AM

Anyone who has ever owned their own business or even worked in retail can understand how this works. A local firearms dealer calls his distributor and orders 1, 2, or 10 guns. He might be able to work a little better price ordering 10 vs 1. Wal-Mart goes direct to Remington (or whichever), and orders a traincar full. They're ordering by the hundreds, if not thousands, direct, not through a wholeseller/distributor. Thats how they get better prices, not by selling lesser quality firearms. I do know that some electronics companies will change the nomenclature on models sold at Wal-Mart, but only for warranty reasons.

oldelkhunter 03-11-2005 08:52 AM

Anyone who has ever owned their own business or even worked in retail can understand how this works. A local firearms dealer calls his distributor and orders 1, 2, or 10 guns. He might be able to work a little better price ordering 10 vs 1. Wal-Mart goes direct to Remington (or whichever), and orders a traincar full. They're ordering by the hundreds, if not thousands, direct, not through a wholeseller/distributor. Thats how they get better prices, not by selling lesser quality firearms.
Yes Walmart buys in larger quanitities to get a break on price. Manufacturer has to make more guns and faster to supply Walmart and find ways to make his gun cheaper in order to be able to sell that volume, that means hiring more people and increasing facilities, at this point Walmart has them by the ahem. Walmart knows this and then demands further price cuts, where do you think the manufacturer will cut..(A) outsource to another country (B) spend less time possibly finishing the item (C) making a line just for Wallyworld or (D) telling walmart where to go. They can't do D because they already have probably purchased machinery and facilites for the increased workload..to dump Walmart would mean layoffs and plant closings. Since Walmart has already been sued multiple times for making suppliers cut their prices or threatening to drop them if they don't meet them this is a proven fact just look it up., They copied this from GM who was also sued when they did it. Bottomline if the good old American way of making money was practiced Walmart wouldn't be in business , they are simply throwing their weight around and punishing manufacturers(ie Deal with the Devil) who in turn deliver more and more substandard items.

Todd1700 03-11-2005 10:15 AM

Manufacturer has to make more guns and faster to supply Walmart and find ways to make his gun cheaper in order to be able to sell that volume,

There's only one problem with that theory. Neither myself, any of my friends, or anyone I personally know has ever actually seen any physical or functional difference in a Wal-Mart purchased gun and the same model from a sporting goods store. All we have ever heard is internet rumours of such quality differences. I also have a Tikka T-3 25-06 purchased from Wal-Mart. My friend who loved mine so much bought one from a sporting goods store over in Butler, Al. They function identically. In fact his gun ordered from the sporting goods store actually had a small defect in the wood stock while mine from Wal-Mart was in perfect condition.

Other guns my friends and aquaintences have purchased from multiple sources that include Wal-mart are Rem 870 pump shotguns, Rem model 1100 shotguns, Savage 110 rifles, Rem model 700 ADL rifles, Marlin 336 30-30 rifles, Weatherby Vanguard rifles, and Ruger 10/22 rifles. Can't see or find any differences in them.

In fact the tightest grouping Remington model 1100 shotgun I have ever seen came from a Wal-Mart store.

I think this rumour is also aided by the fact that in general Wal-Mart is going to only have in it's rack the more economical (i.e. cheaper) models that a company produces. Why? Because those are the ones that will sell the fastest. You won't walk in any Wal-Marts and find a Weatherby Mark V or a Sako 75 Deluxe in the rack (Although they can and will oder you either) but the models they do stock are the same as any found anywhere else. Hell, the same truck probably delivered them to both places.

oldelkhunter 03-11-2005 11:46 AM

There's only one problem with that theory. Neither myself, any of my friends, or anyone I personally know has ever actually seen any physical or functional difference in a Wal-Mart purchased gun and the same model from a sporting goods store. All we have ever heard is internet rumours of such quality differences. I also have a Tikka T-3 25-06 purchased from Wal-Mart. My friend who loved mine so much bought one from a sporting goods store over in Butler, Al. They function identically. In fact his gun ordered from the sporting goods store actually had a small defect in the wood stock while mine from Wal-Mart was in perfect condition

Not theory but proven fact and hundreds of businesses have been sued for predatory tactics. I didn't say they made separate guns for Walmart I just said they cut their quality on the guns they sell Walmart which in turn lowers the quality of that line to all sales outlets.

soarkrebel 03-11-2005 12:13 PM

Hey folks wal mart doesnt go looking for them they come to wal mart!!!

If you ever get the chance to see wal marts little negotiating rooms in thier corp. headquaters you would understand.
Folks the manufacters line up to try and sell the product to wal mart. wal mart doesnt allow elaborate negotiations for a product. simple little room and they work it out. wal mart gets it for the lowest price and then passes it on. it's simple!

I used to work for wal mart not in the retail side but the aviation dept.
Carter field in rogers ar is referred to as the field for the whos who in the corp. world.
folks companys like lays, goodyear , and even slim fast fly in to sell to wal mart. oh and by the way slim fast did have a gulfstream G IV they flew around in. wal mart flew learjets all but one was bought used!
Now they had a G IV for overseas travel only.
They have nicer now but they are needed.

Anyway these poor companys that are just trying to hang on fly some pretty expensive planes in to sell to that old devil store wal mart.

The guns wal mart sells are the same guns you would buy ANYWHERE else just a MUCH better price!

oldelkhunter 03-11-2005 12:22 PM

You people that support Walmart just don't get it Oh well.

soarkrebel 03-11-2005 12:48 PM

ORIGINAL: oldelkhunter

You people that support Walmart just don't get it Oh well.
What do we not get??

Haganwood 03-11-2005 12:56 PM

Hmm, I shop at Walmart and I would not have any issue with buying a firearm them either if I can save 100 or more off of what I would have to spend at a local gun shop.

I work hard for my money and I don't want to spend more of it than I have to when I do spend it on something as expensive as a weapon.

Anyhow,.. What is it we don't get about Walmart?