Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 over analyzing caliber >

over analyzing caliber

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

over analyzing caliber

Old 03-06-2005, 11:38 AM

Default over analyzing caliber

You know, I spent the morning reading the "inferior round" post...... all 11 pages of it!! Honestly, I like the "which caliber" is better debate as much as the next guy, but honestly in 99% of all circumstances I don't think it matters as much (if any) as we talk about. Let's face it 99% of hunters are the once/twice/three times a year types. 99% of their shots from deer to elk to moose fall within the 250 yard mark (100-200 being the bulk). Now, I'd argue most of us on the board are avid shooters and pretty handy with a gun....... if I gave you all a 200 yard shot at a whitetail or mulie you can't convince me that there would be much difference (considering we made a good shot) between a 243, 25-06, 270, 30-06, 300 WSM, 338 winchester mag, 35 Whelen, or 350 Remington magnum! I'd take the bet everytime that most of you on the board would make that shot with any of the above or like calibers most of the time and that the deer would die within 50-75 yards of the hit. If we move up to elk, start with a 270 (I'd even go as low as the 25s) and I think the results would be the same!

So, while I enjoy the magnum vs. standard debate, the 30-06 vs. the 270 debate, etc. Let's be honest that pretty much any caliber you choose, practice with, and can shoot well will do the job.

Granted a 300 magnum at 400 yards will perform better than maybe a 300 Savage, but seriously how often do average hunters take a 400 yard shot in the field (better yet, how many should?).

The fella who started the other post was bent on saying there are so many worthless calibers that should be discontinued...... well heck then if I became supreme dictator of the world and said the only gun allowed to be used in deer up to moose was a 30-06 we'd all still be successful hunters, but what fun would that be????

I own three rifles.... a 260 Remington, a 30-06, and a 35 Whelen. I've shot deer, bear, caribou, elk, and hogs for about 25 years and I'm telling you within 250 yards the result on deer, bear, caribou, elk, and hogs is pretty similar with all three rounds...... there's a shot and there's an animal that goes down!

As far as shotguns, the fella was saying he sees no point in a 410, 28 guage, 16 guage, and a 10 guage. It's the same argument as with the 30-06, If I said we could only hunt with a 12 guage we'd all still be successful hunters, but what fun would that be! Plus, my 28 guage is simply fun to take rabbit hunting!

Let's be real....... all the WSMs may be ballistically superior to standard rounds, but so what???? The deer, bear, elk don't know the difference between a 300 WSM and a forty year old 30-06! Given the ballistic edge of the magnums vs the cost of ammo, I'd opt for the old standards everytime...... but that's just me! To each his own (which is what makes these boards fun), but let's just remember that in 99% of all situations it doesn't make much of a difference.

Please continue the debate.
Old 03-06-2005, 12:21 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: over analyzing caliber

Broey1,
I have many rifles in different cal's,
but prefer 6.5, .270 and 35REM here in FL. for Deer and Hogs....
You said it RIGHT.......PRACTICE!....PRACTICE!.....PRACTICE!.. .
Old 03-06-2005, 02:24 PM

..... So, while I enjoy the magnum vs. standard debate, the 30-06 vs. the 270 debate, etc. Let's be honest that pretty much any caliber you choose, practice with, and can shoot well will do the job. .....
Agreed! Select a good/reasonable cartridge, good ammo/bullets, PRACTICE, and given decent shot placement, at reasonable ranges, the deer, etc. won't know the difference.
The gun makers just like to bring out something new to try to get us to buy more rifles,
handguns, etc. (UltraMags, WSM's, 500S&W, etc.). The old standards will still get it done,
and cheaper too, but won't sell many new guns that way.
Old 03-06-2005, 03:42 PM
Fork Horn

Broey1,

I'm going to tell you something that my wife will never hear..........

I agree with everything you just said
Old 03-06-2005, 04:39 PM

WHOA, HOLD ON THERE FELLAS[:-]

It is obvious that none of you received the memo. There may be spouses reading this post so be careful. We NEED many different calibers, actions, bullets, and cartridges. We need to spend our money on new scopes and the latest and greatest. Evolution man evolution... the deer, bear and caribou have become immune to the lowly 270, 308, and 30-06 and can't be seen with a 4x.
Old 03-06-2005, 05:47 PM

You know, this is a very good post!!!! I get in trouble on many forums for picking on the long range shooters. I also get squacked at for my position on needle blowers (Small high velosity stuff like 22-250s) for big game, do not use them! But the bottom line is shoot straight, put the bullet where it is suposed to go, pass up shots that are iffy and shoot with the rifle you have faith in and you will do fine if you practice.
Now me, I do not like to pass up shots due to angle and such which is a small part of why I like the big bores. Now I will not take a running shot on an un injured deer for example. If he is hit then it is up to me to put it down as quickly and humainly as possable so in the case of a wounded deer I might take that running shot. On the other hand I have not run into this situation more then twice and never since I switched to my .366DGW. The only problem with this round is that if a deer is facing you and you shoot for the center of the chest you better hope you blow his tail off, you will have an exit hole even stem to stern. Maby this fall I should switch to the 45032 N.E. I am building.
Old 03-07-2005, 12:42 PM

Your all on the money. There is a reason I hunt mostly with my trusty old .308.....because it works and so far everything I've hit with it goes down.

But I like to toy around a little and thats why I just picked up a Remington SPS in 270WSM. There is a place where I hunt that big whitetails grow and most of the shots are on the longer side, 200 yrds and up. Over crop fields hidden in blinds and hides is how we hunt them. Now my 308 killed one just fine last year at 250yrds and I'm sure the deer wouldn't know the difference if I hit him with the 270WSM, but I like to collect things and play around with loads so I picked up one of them new fangled things to give it a try.

Its all about having choices.[:-]
Old 03-07-2005, 08:41 PM

I agree with you completely. That "Inferior Round" post was one of the dumbest things i've heard. You can't just stop making a round because other rounds out perform it. You got guys collecting antiques, collectible, wild west shooter competitors. All kinds of stuff that use those rounds.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:09 PM

ORIGINAL: broey1

I own three rifles.... a 260 Remington, a 30-06, and a 35 Whelen. I've shot deer, bear, caribou, elk, and hogs for about 25 years and I'm telling you within 250 yards the result on deer, bear, caribou, elk, and hogs is pretty similar with all three rounds...... there's a shot and there's an animal that goes down!
Serious question, not being a smart a** . . . If they're that close to each other, why own 'em all? If you own 'em all as a hobby, I can see that, but if you want the best success rate, wouldn't you be better off getting as good as you can get with only one?
Old 03-08-2005, 03:05 PM

Simple answer to why own them all........ every now and then a man just "wants" something.... not that he has a "need" for it. Seriously, most of my hunting is for deer/hogs.... in those cases the 260, 30-06, and 35 Whelen all do a superb job. I bought the 35 Whelen for elk/moose.... which I used on elk a couple times & will take moose hunting this fall. If I get right down to it, the 30-06 would be just fine for both, but what would be the fun in owning just the 30-06. Buying the 260 was nothing more than I saw it, liked it, and bought it. I've only shot deer with it..... no complaints.... they all died. I might take the 260 on Pronghorn in a couple years.

The point about there being many rounds that will dispatch deer/elk/hogs equally has no effect on the fact that we gun people just like to buy guns!!! I've owned a bunch of different calibers over the years (some magnums too), I just think it's crazy to say a 300 WSM is "better" than a 30-06, 270, or whatever beacuse it will "outperform" it....... when the truth is that they'll all do just fine! Now if a fella (or lady) wants to own 50 rifles all in different calibers, that's cool too!!

Quick Reply: over analyzing caliber

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.