HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   "HELP" need to identify an old single shot shotgun (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/92591-help-need-identify-old-single-shot-shotgun.html)

HighDesertWolf 03-03-2005 02:17 AM

"HELP" need to identify an old single shot shotgun

i have an old single shot shotgun i got from my grandmother after my grandfather past away, i was told it was made by crescent but im not sure. The only markings on it are "Ranger" engraved on the left side of the reciever and a 4 digit serial on the inside of the reciever where the reciever cradles the barrel chamber and on the barrel the only markings it has is "12 ga Proof" and "model 1929" I was told the shotgun was more then likely one of the many single shot utility shotguns made during the depression and that the reason for not having a brand or trade mark on it was because somany were made by many different companies for the sole purpose of offering an affordable firearm to maybe put a rabbit or squirrel on the dinner table of starving america during the great depression. The shotgun is in good condition with not one touch of rust the only flaw is the rear stalk is chipped on the inside corners which meet with the reciever, its a great shooter and being my first shotgun Ive taken many quail and a few turkey with it. If anyone can help me identify this piece let me know either on this thread or PM me.

the Razorhead 03-03-2005 07:18 PM

RE: "HELP" need to identify an old single shot shotgun

I want to say Winchester made that, but the Winchester was Model 37. Your initial suspision is most likely correct; however, the trend of the single-barrel and double-barrel "utility" or 'camp" guns continued well after WWII and into the early 1950's... the existance of a serial number most likely dates it a little later than 1929-1937. It could also be a contract gun (made for a sporting goods or hardware house).

Goose_Getter 03-03-2005 08:21 PM

The ranger model is a coey, i have a .410 coey ranger.

HighDesertWolf 03-04-2005 12:45 AM

I know of coey firearms, i will look into that direction see where it goes. thank you

HighDesertWolf 03-04-2005 01:15 AM

got to lookin at it closer the serial number is only 3 digits and noticed on the hinge lug it has C.A.P.T. stamped on it.

HighDesertWolf 03-04-2005 01:26 AM

just found a stevens shotgun that looks identical to mine only has "STEVENS THE FULLY GUARANTEED SINGLE GUN" and "J.STEVENS ARMS COMPANY CHICOPEE FALLS,MASS. U.S.A. MADE IN U.S.A." marked on it

HighDesertWolf 03-04-2005 01:51 AM

I think i have it now, Sears had a line guns under the name "Ranger" which were several different shotguns and rifles from various makers. So my shotgun was probably made by stevens but sold by sears under the name ranger. Man i would like to know for sure though............

HighDesertWolf 03-04-2005 02:18 AM

heres a sears ad from 1933, sure enough theres my ranger shotgun I circled it in red so you guys can see which one mine is. Now I'm 100% sure about my shotgun its a sears ranger made under contract by stevens. Thanks for all your guys inputs.

HighDesertWolf 03-04-2005 02:21 AM

wait on second thought just looked at the ad closer looks like my ranger shotgun was actually made by eastern arms..... hmmmm well it looks just like a stevens aw who knows, atleast i know the shotgun was bought from sears LOL

dawei 03-12-2005 03:28 AM

ORIGINAL: HighDesertWolf

i have an old single shot shotgun i got from my grandmother after my grandfather past away, i was told it was made by crescent but im not sure. The only markings on it are "Ranger" engraved on the left side of the reciever and a 4 digit serial on the inside of the reciever where the reciever cradles the barrel chamber and on the barrel the only markings it has is "12 ga Proof" and "model 1929" I was told the shotgun was more then likely one of the many single shot utility shotguns made during the depression and that the reason for not having a brand or trade mark on it was because somany were made by many different companies for the sole purpose of offering an affordable firearm to maybe put a rabbit or squirrel on the dinner table of starving america during the great depression. The shotgun is in good condition with not one touch of rust the only flaw is the rear stalk is chipped on the inside corners which meet with the reciever, its a great shooter and being my first shotgun Ive taken many quail and a few turkey with it. If anyone can help me identify this piece let me know either on this thread or PM me.

Ranger:
a) Trade name found on inexpensive pocket revolvers of unknown manufacture.
b) Trade name used by Eastern Arms Company on various firearms made for Sears And Roebuck and Co of Chicago.
c) Trade name of the Sears, Roebuck and Company of Chicago on a widevariety of firearms marketed by that firm.