Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Remington Model 700 >

Remington Model 700

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Remington Model 700

Old 02-25-2005, 03:14 PM

Default Remington Model 700

Hey all, I am new to the forum and happy to be here.
I am purchasing a new .30-06. I was looking at a Remington Model 700 BDL Stainless/Synthetic with a detachable mag. Now here is my problem: before Christmas this rifle was listed on Rem's website. I called Bass Pro today (I have collected over $300 in gift certificates to BPS, so my rifle is coming from there) they said that model was an '05 and they had not begun to receive them yet. I checked Rem's website and the rifle is no longer listed. Did they discontinue it? Do any other brands have a similar model? I am used to and really like the detachable mag, and it was worth the extra money to me, but are these "trapdoor" mags reliable? Any feedback would be great. Thanks and I hope everyone has a good weekend.
Old 02-25-2005, 03:57 PM

Default RE: Remington Model 700

I've used both types....... if you like detachable, go with it. I prefer the other, but can see no major differences! Both will get the job done.
Old 02-25-2005, 06:09 PM

Both types are fine and purchase should be based on user preference (I prefer a floorplate over a detachable, since I can lose the detachable but not the floorplate). I also like blind magazines, since they promote stability and potential accuracy, but if you keep loading and unloading cartridges you can beat them up a little.

Brian
Old 02-25-2005, 10:49 PM

Welcome to the forum, Busch7596! I have a blued .30-06 700 BDL and a 700 Classic 8x57, both new last year. Both have the trap-door magazines, and I prefer these. They are not likely to get lost, and they are not all that easy to damage. I've had trouble with damaging the feed lips on detachable mags for other types of weapons and don't much care for them on a hunting rifle, but of course not everyone is a clutz who drops their magazines...[:@]

As far as Remington rifles go I like them a great deal. I am sort of partial to controlled feed, which the Rem does not have, but this is not that important unless you hunt dangerous critters. The accuracy of the 700 rifles is generally quite good. My .30-06 is great, and the 8mm is reasonably good (not sure I've optimized a handload yet.) The triggers are pretty stiff coming from the factory but they are still crisp so I haven't messed with them.

The trigger and safety on the 700 are the subject of some controversy; I haven't had a problem with them but there are lots of posts on this and other fourms from folks who have had problems with them. Recommend that if you don't like the trigger, and aren't comfortable with mechanical things, that you entrust the job to a qualified gunsmith. If you don't know what you're doing you might create a condition where the gun may accidentally discharge. Here's a link if you want to read about how it is done:

http://quarterbore.com/library/artic...00trigger.html

Good luck!
Old 02-25-2005, 11:00 PM

ORIGINAL: Busch7596
Hey all, I am new to the forum and happy to be here.
I am purchasing a new .30-06. I was looking at a Remington Model 700 BDL Stainless/Synthetic with a detachable mag. ..... I checked Rem's website and the rifle is no longer listed. Did they discontinue it? Do any other brands have a similar model? I am used to and really like the detachable mag, and it was worth the extra money to me, but are these "trapdoor" mags reliable? Any feedback would be great. Thanks and I hope everyone has a good weekend.
Welcome to the forum.
Looks like the 700BDL Stainless/Syn. has been dropped. But, appears a stainless/syn.
is still available in the SPS line. Here's the link:
Model 700 SPS Stainless: http://www.remington.com/firearms/ce.../700sps_ss.htm

It has the hinged floorplate mag. release, but these are the most common. They are
pretty reliable or all the major manufacturers wouldn't be using 'em. I've never had a
problem with 'em on my rifles. And, you can't lose 'em, as you can with a detachable
magazine.
Remington does make an SPS in 30-06 with detachable mag., but it's blued with synthetic stock, not stainless.
Old 02-26-2005, 08:04 AM

Thank you all so much, I really would wish i sould have posted sooner. I would have saved alot of time in research. To be honest with you, I am tired of looking at rifles and waht to get out and shoot my new one! I have decided to go with the trapdor style. I figure this WILL NOT be the last rifle I ever buy and I can always get used to the different set-up. Thanks again! Hope your weekendsare great, I know mine will be with a new rifle!!