Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Spent shells stuck in H&R rifle. >

Spent shells stuck in H&R rifle.

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Spent shells stuck in H&R rifle.

Old 02-22-2005, 01:48 PM

Default RE: Spent shells stuck in H&R rifle.

Well I appreciate the replies, apparently that mistake of putting a thin layer of oil in there probably caused it. Anyhow soon as I get home I'm gonna get it all cleaned out again, and really clean the chamber up. Once again, thanks for the help.
Old 02-22-2005, 05:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

I used to clean my Handi rifles then set them aside. When I went to use them again the chamber was always full of oil. I finally relaized that the oil I always put in the bor would run down into the chamber. However with the handi there is no place for the oil to go except to run back down the barrel when I picked them up again. However that would always leave the chamber coated with oil. Then my brass would stick. Even unfired brass. The same thing will happen if your OLC is to long.
Old 02-22-2005, 06:02 PM

You did not say what caliber your rifle is, or I did not catch it but if it is a .223 then the military 5.56 ammo will cause the problem you are talking about. I do not know why but years back they even mentiontd this in the instructions that came with the rifle.
Old 02-23-2005, 08:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Mike01

Well, I had heard of this problem before, where occasionally shells will get stuck in the chamber after firing and must be pryed out. Sorta thought I was on a roll, I had put about 70 or so shells through this new gun, when today the shell wouldn't come out. I tried using my pocket knife and then a screw driver to no avail. Finally would up sticking a thin steel road down the barrel and gently tapping it out.
Well the very next shot the same thing happened, so I went back home. Now the only thing different I've did before shooting this particular day was leave a thing layer of gun oil in the chamber. Could that honestly be affecting it in some way? I took it all apart, wiped everything down and am currently letting it dry.
Just curious if some of ya'll had this same problem and what ya did to fix it, as I really had putting that rod down my barrel through the muzzle and whatnot. It's a Harrington/richardson Ultra hunter in .243.
You bet it can! Clean your bore and chamber thoroughly, then use Birchwood Casey Sheath to prevent rust, rather than oil!!. Always dry the bore and chamber completely with clean dry patches before firing the first shot. Oil in the bore and chamber can increase pressures, AND allow the case to slam into the face of the breech with considerable extra force. Not a good idea! In addition, an oily bore will make your first shot or two go outside of the group center, often to a considerable extent. And, the first shot is always the most important, if you are a hunter!!