Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Spent shells stuck in H&R rifle. >

Spent shells stuck in H&R rifle.

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Spent shells stuck in H&R rifle.

Old 02-21-2005, 05:13 PM

Default Spent shells stuck in H&R rifle.

Well, I had heard of this problem before, where occasionally shells will get stuck in the chamber after firing and must be pryed out. Sorta thought I was on a roll, I had put about 70 or so shells through this new gun, when today the shell wouldn't come out. I tried using my pocket knife and then a screw driver to no avail. Finally would up sticking a thin steel road down the barrel and gently tapping it out.
Well the very next shot the same thing happened, so I went back home. Now the only thing different I've did before shooting this particular day was leave a thing layer of gun oil in the chamber. Could that honestly be affecting it in some way? I took it all apart, wiped everything down and am currently letting it dry.
Just curious if some of ya'll had this same problem and what ya did to fix it, as I really had putting that rod down my barrel through the muzzle and whatnot. It's a Harrington/richardson Ultra hunter in .243.
Old 02-21-2005, 05:32 PM

Default RE: Spent shells stuck in H&R rifle.

i have a couple of the .223s. the ultra varmint is fine but have had shells stick in the handi-rifle. about the only thing i could think to do was to make sure the shell is catching on the ejector when i close it. when it did stick i just used a cleaning rod and tapped it out. it came easy enough but i'll agree it is not the way they should be. as long as the shell catches the ejector i don't have any problems.
Old 02-21-2005, 06:31 PM

Well it's interesting you mention that. On occasion I'll notice that the bullet slides the entire way into the chamber not catches the ejector. However, previously atleast, it'd eject it everytime. Both times it jammed today, it actually caught on the ejector, so go figure.
Old 02-21-2005, 07:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wonder if you have carbon backing up into your chamber after several dozen rounds, effectively shrinking your chamber diameter. Are your casings fouled? If so, occasional cleaning should work. I've always gotten regular advice not to have oily chambers or ammo though. Someone more engineer minded than I said it hikes chamber pressure. So swab out the excess. :-)
Old 02-21-2005, 08:01 PM

Well just one more thing to add. I had a spent case just laying in my room, so I went ahead and just put it in the chamber to see how it fit. Towards the middle it got exceptionally hard to fit in, to the point of having to use some force to get it to fight right. I didn't put it in all the way for fear of it gettin' stuck again. But carbon, eh? I guess I'll go ahead and clean the entire chamber out real well and see, as that seems the most likely culprit.
Old 02-21-2005, 10:29 PM

Well just one more thing to add. I had a spent case just laying in my room, so I went ahead and just put it in the chamber to see how it fit.
When the shell was fired, it was formed to the chamber. It expands and fills in the empty space around the cartridge. That is probably why it was a tight fit. Try cleaning the chamber with a larger bore brush from the chamber in. That will help if their is any build up in the chamber. Also check the bolt if you can and make sure thier is not any fouling going on with the extractor making it sticky. Good luck.

Allright, don't pay attention to the bolt comment. It was late last night when I read this post, I thought it said H&K. LOL
Old 02-21-2005, 10:53 PM

It might be a dirty chamber,are you using reloads? It might be a sticky ejector,or a rought chamber due to dirt. i would start by cleaning it,and take a rod with you when you go shooting,your not the first,nor will you be the last to have this happen. vangunsmith
Old 02-21-2005, 11:20 PM
Typical Buck

Polish the chamber with Flitz metal polish and then clean the entire length of the barrel well.
Old 02-22-2005, 03:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

There have been complaints about them having roughchambers in some instances
Old 02-22-2005, 06:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

NEVER, BUT NEVER, leave ANY OIL in the chamber of the handi rifle. When you clean it sit it muzzle down so no left over oil can run into the chamber. Its a good idea to polish the chamber as well. Then dry it out and keep it dry.

Quick Reply: Spent shells stuck in H&R rifle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.