Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Pump action deer rifle >

Pump action deer rifle

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Pump action deer rifle

Old 02-18-2005, 03:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Pump action deer rifle

Heres the scoop; when I carry the iron sighted lever-gun I see deer on the other side of the marsh, when I carry the heavy, scoped bolt gun the deer race past nearby before I can get it off my shoulder.
I'm looking for a happy median, probably .308 with a low power variable scope on see-thru rings. I like the idea of a pump gun for 2 reasons, first because I'm very comfortable with the action and re-aquiring targets (waterfowling), and also becuase I don't yet own a pump rifle.
Who makes a pump that isn't too long or heavy, is very reliable, and will work well wether I'm sitting on a hill or waiting for the doggers to come thru?
Old 02-18-2005, 05:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Pump action deer rifle

Remington, of course makes the pump action rifle that the rest are compared to. They make a carbine with an 18.5" barrel and a rifle with a 22" tube. They are fairly accurate and dependable.
My one bit of advise, though, would be to forget the see-through scope mounts. Mount a low powered (1.5x5 or 2x6) scope so that you're looking through it when the gun comes up. Otherwise, the act of trying to decide whether to use the sights or the scope in a split second will loose you a deer or two. High mounts usually force you to bring your face off the stock a little. In my opinion, you are better off learning to use one sighting system well. One less thing to think about when you are excited to begin with.
Old 02-18-2005, 05:29 PM
Typical Buck

I have a Rem. 7600 in .35 whelen but the deer I have shot with factory 250 grain bullets have not died well. If I handloaded some fast opening Nosler balistic tips it may work better. However I recently got a Savage 99 in .300 sav. and used it to take a bull moose a white-tail doe and two wolves. I like it a lot as my fast handling bush gun. In the mountains or prairie I use a long barreled bolt action.

Robin
Old 02-18-2005, 06:10 PM

ORIGINAL: Wingbone

Remington, of course makes the pump action rifle that the rest are compared to. They make a carbine with an 18.5" barrel and a rifle with a 22" tube. They are fairly accurate and dependable.
My one bit of advise, though, would be to forget the see-through scope mounts. Mount a low powered (1.5x5 or 2x6) scope so that you're looking through it when the gun comes up. Otherwise, the act of trying to decide whether to use the sights or the scope in a split second will loose you a deer or two. High mounts usually force you to bring your face off the stock a little. In my opinion, you are better off learning to use one sighting system well. One less thing to think about when you are excited to begin with.
Wingbone hit that one out of the park. One side note though, Remington only makes the 7600 carbine in a .30-06. The 22" rifle is chambered in .243,.270,.30-06,.308, and limited runs of .35 Whelen. I suppose if you wanted one of the other calibers, you could always take the gun to a gunsmith and have the barrell cut down to length.

Mr. .45-70
Old 02-18-2005, 06:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

I am not aware of anyone bur Remington who currently makes a high power pump action rifle. However it a good one.
Old 02-18-2005, 07:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks alot guys, pump rifles aren't very common up here, but I may swing into the new Basspro this weekend and have a look at the 7600.
Old 02-18-2005, 07:30 PM

ORIGINAL: James B

I am not aware of anyone bur Remington who currently makes a high power pump action rifle. However it a good one.
Browning has entered the lists. The rifle has a completly different look to it.
I"m still lookin' for a Savage 170 in 35 Remington.
Old 02-18-2005, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Browning made a pump action but i'm not sure if they still do . I have one in 243 win and owned one in 30-06 . they look a lot like the BAR .
Old 02-18-2005, 08:10 PM

I recommend that you avoid se through mounts. I had them on my Remington 742 for 20 years and hated them. They placed the scope too high and they were aluminum. The screws would not stay tight even with Loctite. I replaced them with steel Leupold mounts last year and the difference is amazing. You can torque the screws pretty tight without worrying about stripping the threads.
Old 02-18-2005, 11:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Another vote to trash the open mounts...if ya cant get a good cheek weld theres no way you can shoot as well as possible.

Quick Reply: Pump action deer rifle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.