Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Need Help!!!! >

Need Help!!!!

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Need Help!!!!

Old 02-08-2005, 08:59 PM
Spike

Default Need Help!!!!

What is the best caliber to shoot beaver? Also what would be the best brandof gun in the caliber to buy? This gun will really take a beating in the boat on the river in the spring when the ice is just starting to melt. Any and all opinion is welcome and needed.

Damion
Old 02-08-2005, 09:10 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Need Help!!!!

If you are shooting beaver they are in traps so just use a 22 short. If they are not in a trap check your local laws in most states it is not aloud to shot them.If it is aloud I would use a 22 long rifle so the hides do not get messed up.

If you are just shooting them to get rid of them PLZ ask some one to trap them,hate to see a resores go to waste.
Old 02-08-2005, 09:25 PM
Typical Buck

pick a 17 caliber... Less pelt damage... A 17 mach 2 should work nicely, if distance go with the 17 remington.
Old 02-09-2005, 08:35 PM

.22 long has to be my choice we have beaver problems at our camp
Old 02-10-2005, 01:49 AM
Typical Buck

I've wiped them out in my creek with my Single Six, Ruger MarkII, and Marlin 25N, in 22 LR, and a 22 Mag. Recently started using my new squirrel rifle in 17HMR. The 17 is a little light but with good shooting works well at short distances.

I got some eradication work and the guy wasn't happy just being rid of them. He wanted to see bodys, so I switched over to a 223 in a NEF handi rifle. That thing is "bad medicine" in beaver town. The only problem is the noise. I have to wear ear plugs and it really increases the time it takes for them to come back out. With the 17 I was "killing" several in a sitting. With the 223, one kill an hour is pretty much average.
Old 02-10-2005, 06:43 PM
Spike

Well I think I am going to get one in a 17 our one in a 22 mag. What brand of gun should I get it in. I need one that can really take the beating of bouncing around in the boat when it is runing into ice bergs or when an ice berg slams into the boat. I am going to but a lighted scope on it so I can see the cross-hairs when it starts to get dark.
Old 02-10-2005, 06:58 PM
Typical Buck

if your gettinga 17hmr go marlin, there cheap and there are one of the most accurate right out of the box. it cant be beat. go to www.rimfirecentral.com and search for so groups that people have posted from there marlin.
Old 02-10-2005, 11:59 PM
Typical Buck

I agree with the Malin if you go with the 17HRM or the 22mag. That's what I've got and they are great. The lighted reticle is also the best choice for shooting these.

The easy way to get them is to find a spot where they have to travel to get to thier dam. Knock some down so they have to travle to work on it. They can't stand moving water and will work on it all day until you shoot a few. Then they will try to wait until dark but they are like kids looking at an icecream cone. Break the dam at noon and they can't wait to fix it. They will start coming out before dark.

Even after you get down to the last few and they don't come out until dark you can kill them if you can get high enough to see the reflection of the sky in the water. Watch for the water ripples and it's like a signal telling where they are working. With the lighted retical you don't need a spot light or anything. You'll see them moving with the reflection and it's just like getting them back lighted and you just put the glowing red dot on his head and boom.
Old 02-11-2005, 05:36 PM

17 hrm or .22 mag.
Old 02-12-2005, 07:25 PM
Typical Buck

I'm kick'n beaver butt with my 223 handi rifle. 2 more this evening. 16 total now since Jan 1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.