Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Crescent Firearms >

Crescent Firearms

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Crescent Firearms

Old 03-02-2005, 10:47 AM

Default Crescent Firearms

I recently inherited my father's old single shot 12 gauge. After removing the rust that had built up on it through the years since his death, I discovered it was made by Crescent Firearms. Any body else own one of these or have any information about them. I know the gun is old, maybe very old.
Old 03-02-2005, 12:45 PM

Default RE: Crescent Firearms

Google is a marvelous thing:

http://www.museum.state.il.us/RiverW.../crescent.html

"Crescent Firearms Co operated from the 1890s to the 1930s, then was absorbed by H.D. Folsum in 1893 and by J. Stevens Arms & Tool Company of Massachusetts in 1932. This gun was a low to medium-priced gun manufactured on a large scale."

http://www.wikifaqs.com/Q/Crescent_Firearms_shotgun

"Crescent operated from 1893 to 1930. There doesn't seem to be any source to pinpoint dates of manufacture by serial numbers. Crescent was a subsidiary of H&D Folsom Sporting Goods, New York. Many of their products were sold through Folsom's retail outlets, but Folsom was also a large wholesale dealer and many Crescent guns were marked with the names or trademarks of other retail chains and even independent hardware stores."
Old 03-02-2005, 02:57 PM

Thanks Moose,
I know that the shotgun is at least 75 years old. I remember shooting it when I was a kid and when I first got it, after cleaning it up, I shot it a couple of times. It still shoots good, however, I have noticed a small crack coming from just back of where the hammer and the stock meet, so I'll probably just retire it to the gun rack for a conversation piece. I don't want the crack to get bigger, which is what will probably happen if I continue to shoot the gun. I don't know if I could get a replacement stock and I sure if I found one that would fit, getting the color of the stain to match would be near impossible. Thanks again.
Old 03-02-2005, 06:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

ive got one also given to me from my grandfather. i seem to remember him saying at the time they were 7$ each and that he could have bought a bunch of them at that price but didnt. i think it has a 30 0r 31 inch barrel. i havent looked at it in a while.
Old 03-02-2005, 06:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

i have an old single shot shotgun i got from my grandmother after my grandfather past away, i was told it was made by crescent but im not sure. The only markings on it are "Ranger" engraved on the left side of the reciever and a 4 digit serial on the inside of the reciever where the reciever cradles the barrel chamber and on the barrel the only markings it has is "12 ga Proof" and "model 1929" I was told the shotgun was more then likely one of the many single shot utility shotguns made during the depression and that the reason for not having a brand or trade mark on it was because somany were made by many different companies for the sole purpose of offering an affordable firearm to maybe put a rabbit or squirrel on the dinner table of starving america during the great depression. The shotgun is in good condition with not one touch of rust the only flaw is the rear stalk is chipped on the inside corners which meet with the reciever, its a great shooter and being my first shotgun Ive taken many quail and a few turkey with it. If anyone can help me identify this piece let me know either on this thread or PM me.
Old 03-02-2005, 10:24 PM
Fork Horn

I beleive Cresent Arms Co. was located in Norwich,Ct. That's only 12 miles from where I live. They were fairly common when I was a kid, single shot and double barrel.
Old 03-03-2005, 01:27 AM

I believe the factory was located in New York City. I had a double 16 once, had the Cresent name on it. Gave it to a friend with ALS, when his son's druggie friends started scarin' him. We sawed it off to 20". Sittin' at his computer, he could cover his doorway so well a cat couldn't get through. [:@]