Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 New or Old Browning Bar? What's better? >

New or Old Browning Bar? What's better?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New or Old Browning Bar? What's better?

Old 02-10-2005, 04:51 AM

Default New or Old Browning Bar? What's better?

Buying a Browning Bar in 308 Win, but also came across a used older version. The dealer indicated he originally sold the rifle and knew the owner, the used bar is in awesome shape.

Obvious differences, the new version has a bolt release lever and a newly designed gas port and trigger, that supposedly requires less maintenance and is easier to clean.

Any thoughts on which one is better, build better or has better accuracy? The difference in price is not a factor.

Old 02-10-2005, 08:00 AM

Default RE: New or Old Browning Bar? What's better?

How much older is the used one? Browning used to have a service on-line that you could date these things with. It's still there http://www.browning.com/services/dategun/index.asp
Old 02-10-2005, 10:42 AM

To be honest, I have no idea. Just know its the older version, made in Belgium, either a Bar or maybe Bar I (if that exists), with no bolt release.

My main concern is workmanship and accuracy.
Old 02-10-2005, 12:22 PM

Would the dealer be willing to let you shoot a grouping with the used one? If so, and you like the way the old one is grouping get which ever one "feels" the best to you.

My dad had the older version BAR .270 and that was one of the best feeling and shooting automatics I have ever seen - He could get three shots inside a quarter at 100yds. His old BAR got stolen and He replaced it with a new version BAR .270 about two years ago, and to me the new version doesn't feel nearly as good as his old version did and he has not been able to get the same tight groupings on paper either.
Old 02-11-2005, 11:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

The Older Belgian made BAR were much better built IMHO and usually had better triggers then the current version as well as better walnut. I'm talking about a 200 dollar rifle when I was 17 years old and couldn't afford one.
Old 02-11-2005, 06:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Old or new BAR's are made in Belgium. I have the Safari's Made in Belgium. The Safari's are a improved model.If they are any better or not I can't say.The new models have the slide release as mentioned.They also have a different magazine set up.At first I didn't care for it. After attaching it a few times it isn't that bad.Something to consider are parts for the older models still available? Once Remington discontinues a model they stop stocking parts. Browning may do the same. Just a thought.A new one will have a warranty. Used is probably as is.I think I would go with the new Safari. If nothing else you know Browning will have the parts to work on it if needed. Just my opinion for what ever that's worth.

Ruger Redhawk
Old 02-11-2005, 08:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

BAr's have Belgian parts assembled in Portugal and have been this way for a few years ..the Long Trac models I am not sure where they are made. I am talking 100 % made and assembled in Belgium.
Old 02-11-2005, 08:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would buy the older Belgium model. They were excellent rifles and hold thier value quite well. I should have bought one years ago. If buying a more modern version I would buy the lightweight stalker in .308. It has a synthetic stock, matt finish and a 20" barrel in .308. Excellent rifle for most Ontario cover.
Old 02-12-2005, 09:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: oldelkhunter

BAr's have Belgian parts assembled in Portugal and have been this way for a few years ..the Long Trac models I am not sure where they are made. I am talking 100 % made and assembled in Belgium.
OEH You are right.I forgot they are assembled in Portugal. I need to look at the boxes and see what they say.I could have sworn it said Made in Belgium.

Ruger Redhawk
Old 02-14-2005, 05:00 AM

Thanks everyone for your posts.

You guys were right on the ball. I was interested in the old Bar because of assembly quality and accuracy, the saying 'they don't build them like they used to" is definitely the case with the new Bar short/long trac's. I heard way too many complaints from store owners that the new short/long trac's suck (too much plastic, scope mount problems). Anyway the older bar was sold but I did find a Safari Mark II in 308 (wood stock), so I'm more than happy.

Quick Reply: New or Old Browning Bar? What's better?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.