HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   75 Grain V-Max for deer? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/89276-75-grain-v-max-deer.html)

Mike01 02-04-2005 03:52 PM

75 Grain V-Max for deer?

I was curious what you guys would think about this

I had been looking to buy a bulk pack of ammo off cabelas for my .243, and noticed they had a 75 grain V-max bullet. Do you guys think this would be aight to use on deer? I'm sorta iffy one this one, for the fact it's a ballistic tip, and 75 grains seems just a tad too light, but I figured I'd ask. If it matters when hunting, it's practically a guarentee that all my shots will be under 100 yards...

bigcountry 02-04-2005 03:54 PM

RE: 75 Grain V-Max for deer?

Wow, you want to push the envelope don't ya. I don't know. I would go 100gr and a bullet of better construction instead of a Varmit bullet

North Texan 02-04-2005 03:57 PM

For neck shots, they'd probably work pretty good. I question the penetration on lung shots.

Mike01 02-04-2005 03:59 PM

Well alright, I really wasn't for sure of the dependability of these bullets, I guess I'll probably stick with the 100 grains. Thanks for replies.

gopher slayer 02-04-2005 04:42 PM

the v max bullets have a hollow space at the bottom the ballsistc tip this creates rapid expansion and fragentaion. a good 100gr bullet would be better for deer.

Virginia7 02-04-2005 05:05 PM

NO! This 75gr.V-Max is a varmint bullet. It's not intended for deer or any other big game use. For the 243Win., best to stick with 100gr. bullets, and preferrably those of
premium quality such as Nosler Partitions.

bigbulls 02-04-2005 05:15 PM

There is a reason that the "V" is there on a Vmax bullet. It stands for "varmint". No varmint bullet should be used for big game. They are not constructed to hold up on deer size animals. They are designed to literally explode upon impact.

Ishootbigbuck 11-13-2018 10:20 AM

75 Gran V-Max for deer

Originally Posted by bigcountry (Post 906966)
Wow, you want to push the envelope don't ya. I don't know. I would go 100gr and a bullet of better construction instead of a Varmit bullet

Apparently you have never used this load for whitetail. As i have i can tell you as with any caliber a well placed shot is devastating as i have taken several whitetail with it with both a single shot and a follow up shot.

hunters_life 11-13-2018 01:43 PM

Then you must not live up to your ID on here. You shoot anything bigger than a coyote with a 75gr V-Max, especially the whitetail we have around here, and you are going to be in for a long search with a very small chance of recovery. I wouldn't trust one on a neck shot let alone a vitals. Figures that someone would dig up an ancient post to put up horrible information. Only someone completely ignorant of bullet performance would say a Vmax of any grain is acceptable for big game.

Mykey 11-16-2018 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by bigbulls (Post 907060)
There is a reason that the "V" is there on a Vmax bullet. It stands for "varmint". No varmint bullet should be used for big game. They are not constructed to hold up on deer size animals. They are designed to literally explode upon impact.

^^ True ^^! With the .243 i'd no doubt use a 100gr bullet and a standard cup and core will work fine for deer. If you wanted to step up a notch a bonded bullet like the Nosler Accubond or a solid copper such as the Barnes TTSX will work great as well.