HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   270wsm or 270win? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/89007-270wsm-270win.html)

SquirrleBurger46 02-02-2005 02:48 PM

270wsm or 270win?

I want to get a rifle thar can hunt deer, hogs, and mabey elk or moose. How much more recoil does the wsm have than the win?

BuckMaster7 02-02-2005 02:50 PM

RE: 270wsm or 270win?

You won't even notice the difference.

12 pointer 02-02-2005 03:32 PM

i have a 270 win but have never shot a wsm. From what i have heard, the 270 win can take down about anything walking. the wsm is much more expensive for ammo i think. I would say go with the good ol' 270 winchester.

CalNewbie 02-02-2005 05:53 PM

In theory the WSM cartridge has less recoil. However, the WSM's are typically packaged in a slightly smaller, lighter rifle, negating the reduction in recoil. I have a Browning A-Bolt 270WSM, and like it. No doubt I would've been happy with the standard round as well.

Check ammo prices and availability in your area. Its hard to find WSM ammo in my area. You'll pay more for WSM ammo, and find less choices, though Federal is now chambering new rounds for the 270WSM.

Bottom line - find a rifle you like, and if it happens to be one or the other, it'll make no material difference.

James B 02-02-2005 07:10 PM

If I had no 270 at all and wanted to buy one, I would buy the 270 WSM If I already had a 270 Winchester, I would just stay with it. There is not enough difference in performance for me to switch. I think the ammo selection and availabilty will improve shortly. However If I were not going to reload then I would not go with the 270 WSM. I would rather be shot and thrown in a ditch than buy a factory shell. WELL ALMOST:D

trailer 02-02-2005 07:44 PM

I had to make that same decision just a little while back and ended up with the 270wsm. The 270wsm is about 100 to 200 feet per second faster then the 270win. depending on the type of bullet being reloaded, that’s if you reload. I also didn’t look at the availability of factory bullets so you might want to check that out before buying the rifle as previously mentioned. As for recoil I can’t comment on that because I haven’t shot the 270 win. in quite a while and I haven’t shot my 270wsm yet, but I’m sure looking forward to it. Good Luck.... and either one should do the job.;)

skeeter 7MM 02-02-2005 08:32 PM

I own a 270 win and shot a few 270wsm's, I noticed no difference in recoil between the 2. Like someone mentioned being I own a 270 win I wouldn't go off trading it for the wsm, but if buying new I would opt for the WSM. They will work wonderful for deer/hogs/black bear and will work on elk/moose if you do your part! Ie: pick the right bullet for the job and put forth the proper limitations. I certainly wouldn't consider either anymore than adequate for the larger game and I have actually used it for this purpose. My reasons are the 270 is somewhat limited in bullet choice, range and shot angles as opposed to other choices.

As far as factory ammo the wsm is getting better in the 270 offering I did a quick count from Federals offerings only you have 8 to choose in the WSM flavor and 13 in the standard flavour...a far cry from 3-5 choices total f yesterday. Further more indication to the popularity and longevity of this chambering.

speedgator 02-02-2005 09:06 PM

I'm a big supporter of the WSM's. Especially in the heavier bullets (150 grain) the WSM has a marked advantage, since you want to be able to go after larger game than deer it's a consideration.

Virginia7 02-02-2005 09:15 PM

Probably won't notice much, if any, difference in recoil levels between the two. Mostly, just depends on the rifle (weight, stock design, ...). Personally, I'd stick with the old
270Win. The WSM just doesn't provide enough difference to warrant the higher costs
of ammo. And, in consideration of elk or other larger game I'd just as soon get a
7mm Remington Mag., but the 270Win. will suffice.

Fat-Arrow 02-03-2005 08:07 AM

I have been struggling with this same question for a while now. I am not sure when I will be able to go out west to hunt elk, but I know that someday I will. I would primarily be using the rifle for whitetails in upstate NY. The place where I hunt has some fields, the longest of which is 326 yards according to my range finder. After doing much comparison between the 270 win and the 270WSM, I have to agree with what was said before, there really isn't that much difference in performance, and WSM shells are very expensive. I already have a 243 WSSM which is expensive enough to shoot. I do not reload yet, but would love to get into that someday. i think i may just wait to buy the rifle a while longer. A friend of mine has a 300WSM and loves it.I have shot it and was impressed.

I think the real problem for me is that I am just so interested in the different calibers availible that I want to own one of each. My wife is a very understanding woman, and never complains when I walk in with a new gun, but I could very easily get out of control with it. My want list just keeps growing!