Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Inferior Rounds >

Inferior Rounds

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Inferior Rounds

Old 02-02-2005, 05:33 PM

Default RE: Inferior Rounds

ORIGINAL: 1dahunter

I would have to disagree, the .410 makes a great squirrel or rabbit gun, the 10 gauge is super for geese and turkey.
.410 bore, 2.5" (1/2 at 1200) 5.75 7.1
.410 bore, 3" (11/16 at 1135) 5.75 10.5
20 gauge, 2.75" (7/8 at 1200) 6.5 16.1
20 gauge, 2.75" (1 at 1220) 6.5 21.0

The 20 gauge is almost just as light as the .410 and the recoil is about the same. You can also hunt deer and geese with the 20 gauge.

12 gauge, 2.75" (1 at 1180) 7.5 17.3
12 gauge, 2.75" (1 1/8 at 1200) 7.5 23.0
12 gauge, 2.75" (1 1/4 at 1330) 7.5 32.0
12 gauge, 2.75" (1 1/2 at 1260) 7.5 45.0
12 gauge, 3" (1 5/8 at 1280) 7.5 52.0
12 gauge, 3" (1 7/8 at 1210) 8.75 54.0
10 gauge, 3.5" (2 1/4 at 1210) 10.5 62.9

Go to Chuckhawks.com if you want to see the chart.

That extra load of that 10 is really going to make a difference. Basically if you hit with the 10 gauge you would have hit with the 12 guage. It kicks like a b!tch even though it weighs a lot. You would probably flinch a lot and miss even with that big load.
Old 02-02-2005, 05:44 PM

ORIGINAL: Nanook85

Especially the .410 and 10 gauge
Since when is the 10 guage worthless? Like 1dahunter said, it's great for turkey and it's powerful deer medicine.
10 gauge with buckshot for deer? You're kidding me. Even the 20 gauge with core-lokt ultra bonded slugs outbeats the 10 gauge with buckshot. Which deer are you hunting? Coues deer? In a lot of states it's illegal to hunt whitetails with buckshot. For the most part, they get wounded. If you're talking about 10 gauge 3 1/2 slugs, the 20 gauge still beats it.
Old 02-02-2005, 06:28 PM
Typical Buck

There are reasons for these guns such as the 25-06 it is a very flat shooting round and will stop a deer on a dime also this gun won't send you to the doctor everytime you shoot it to have surgery on your shoulder

The thing is not everybody has the money to shoot $20+ a box for 20 rounds of wsm or wssm ammunition

Also the 410 is a good rabbit gun it will drop rabbits just as good as your godly 20 guage and not put 100 pellets through it ruining all the meat
that point made i hope you can see why people want to have other guns in their arsonal and not just the brand new overpriced wsm & wssm cartridges

Plus i would rather own as many guns as i could and not just a few wsm and wssm cartridges
Old 02-02-2005, 08:04 PM

What a contoversial thread. I was staying out, but then saw the 10ga and buckshot quote. I've shot quite a few deer and hogs with buckshot and never lost a one. Its not the fault of the gun or buckshot. Only those that don't know how to use it. Same as it is with anything else.
Old 02-02-2005, 08:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

Buckmaster7 do you actually have any first hand knowledge about this thread you started or do you just like spewing nonsence?

Seriously, you have not made one point that has actually had any merit or made an ounce of sense.

Most every single cartridge made today has a very good reason for being here.

Since this is your thread please enlighten us as to which ones actually "need" to be here. I am actually very interested in hearing what you think should stay and what should go.
Old 02-02-2005, 08:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

In a lot of states it's illegal to hunt whitetails with buckshot.
In other states and places like military installations buck shot is the only thing you can legally use.

For the most part, they get wounded.
It's not the buck shot that wounds the animals. It's the people behind the trigger that do not respect the limitations of buck shot. That sounds very similar to what the anti's say about guns in general. You know.... "guns kill people".[:'(]

That extra load of that 10 is really going to make a difference.
Yes it can definetly make a differance. Perhaps you should go out and actually pattern a shotgun sometime with different loads and different gagues. Charts like the one you quoted mean very little in the real hunting world.

It's overkill on deer. It has a long action and is a belted magnum. The recoil would be on the extreme side.
Everything from the 243 on up is over kill for deer.

The 25 WSSM uses 14% less in powder than the 25-06 and does just as good.
It also has a very fat case for its length. This can result in jams in fast cycling of the bolt. It also costs about twice as much to shoot.

I don't know exactly
That statement you made right there pretty much summs up you real world knowledge on this subject.
Old 02-02-2005, 08:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

Just out of curiosity, how old are you?
Old 02-02-2005, 09:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

The .410, 28, and 10 gauge are useless
I can't wait till the WSSM and WSM take over the other calibers which are inferior. I have a whole list of inferior rifle rounds that should not be made anymore
Wake up people, there's a revolution going around
if the deer, turkeys, squirrels, rabbits and all the other game animals catch wind of this can you imagine what a devastating effect it would have on hunting ,
Old 02-02-2005, 09:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

First, you sound 12 years old. If you are older than that then thats just truely sad.

Second, the WSM's won't do a single thing that their standard length counterparts can't do except fit in a shorter lighter gun. And for the life of me I can't imagine why most people would want a light weight 300 magnum. Just to see how much more a gun that weighs 2 lbs less will kick? The only application that I can envision the 300 WSM fitting is if I had to hike 8 miles through the back country then take a 400 yard shot at a 600 plus pound animal. For deer they are light weight teeth rattling market hyped overkill.

I have two buddies that are like you. They run out and buy whatever new whizzbangzoomsuperduperultramag caliber the gun makers tout as the next greatest revolution in the shooting world. Last count they have about 5 revolutionary calibers apiece collecting dust in their gun cabinets. I spotted one of those guys about mid-season and he had two black eyes and a half moon cut on the bridge of his nose. I knew instantly the cause and yelled out to him,"Ain't them light weight short magnums great?" He just shook his head and walked on. I ran into the other one last week and he's already trying to sell his 300 WSM and swears he's going to buy a 243. Reason? The recoil is killing him and he says he's developed a flinch that has severely hurt his ability to shoot the 300 WSM accurately. Yep, marketing hype. Isn't it great?

I killed all my deer last season with a 25-06 and a 7mm-08. Both are mild and pleasent to shoot so I enjoy shooting them a lot at my local gravel pit. Don't need a chiropracter when I get home either. As a consequence of my frequent enjoyable shooting sessions I have become quite proficient with both these guns. I can easily kill deer out to 300 yards which is as far as I could ever need to shoot on our land. And the deer I shot last year all seemed pretty dead to me but I'm sure your WSM's would have killed them even deader.
Old 02-02-2005, 09:22 PM

I'll just stick to my ol' Elsie 16. It's as light as most 20s, and when you run outa ammo tryin' to limit out, you can't start shootin' up my supply.

Quick Reply: Inferior Rounds

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.