Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Gunsmiths

Old 02-02-2005, 12:23 AM

Default Gunsmiths

Any gunsmiths on here ?
Old 02-02-2005, 01:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Gunsmiths

Yes
Old 02-02-2005, 07:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

There are several of them on here, some seem rather good, some I wouldn't send a gun to...Personally, I prefer to do most light end work by myself.

Of course, I've now got a lot of expensive tools and experience that are collecting dust, but I know how to fix or improve my own guns at least. And I know what was done to what and how. Buddies of mine tend to call me first before going to the "Doctor" to see if I can do it instead, since I don't charge labor[&:][:@]...the only "small time" gunsmith that I ever REALLY trusted with my guns (short of a specialized/nationally acclaimed expert like Cody Conhager, Bowen's boys, Wilson's team, or Dan Wesson's team) died two years ago. I bought a lot of tools at his estate sale and took up the job myself after that.

Kinda like why I prefer to change my own oil, or head gasket, or piston rings.

I'd venture that most of us here have done some "light" gunsmithing on our own guns in our day. If I need a part replaced or fitted, or if I'm replacing springs, triggers, hammers, followers, basically any "assembly", free floating, bedding, new stocks, drill and tap, etc. it's no going in.

When I need a bbl turned, a new bbl, a bbl shortened, muzzle recessed or recrowned, any soldering or welding, flutes cut, sear jobs, or any other highly techincal improvement or repair that either I couldn't do, or can't afford the tool for a one time use, then I'll take it in.

I figure it's MY gun that way, and I'm not hoping into Jr.'s car and just driving.
Old 02-03-2005, 01:38 AM

Yeah, I haven't got allot of tools to work with but what I can do I'll do on my guns to, and family and friends guns as well..

But I just had a question for one about boring and taping a shotgun barrel for choke tubs...
Old 02-04-2005, 05:42 PM

I am a gunsmith of sorts. I make my living building custom rifles with wood stocks but I have done a few "rubber" guns. We specalise in rifles which fit the shooter and for the most part start with a stock blank which gives us the most leway for proper fit. If this picture will post it is of a custom rifle based on a P-14 action which has had some rather major changes made to it. It is chambered for the .366DGW cartridge which is based on the .416 Rigby case.
Old 02-07-2005, 10:30 AM

Have you ever taped a barrel for choke tubes ?
Old 02-07-2005, 12:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

If you are going to be sinding it somewhere you would do well to send the barrel(s) to Briley for some choke tubes. They are the best in the business at this. This is what they specialize in.

They are in Houston Texas.
http://www.briley.com/
Old 02-07-2005, 06:01 PM

Yes, have been for 38yrs, worked for some big Man. co. as well as teaching gunsmith school,and having my own business. Nice to hear that there are fellow gunsmiths on this forum. Just new to this one. Brileys would be my choice also. Nice looking firearm Judson. looking forward to being with all in this forum. vangunsmith
Old 02-08-2005, 03:21 PM

vangunsmith
You got a PM...
Old 02-08-2005, 04:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

vangunsmith, where did you teach gunsmithing?

I just recently graduated from CST this past August.

Quick Reply: Gunsmiths

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.