Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 which .243 is the best >

which .243 is the best

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

which .243 is the best

Old 02-02-2005, 06:43 PM

Default RE: which .243 is the best

no offense, but the man asked about the best .243 not the best 6mm rem. If your 6mm can't shoot 3000 fps 95 gr Nosler deer loads and have all five bullets within 1/4 inch of touching or touching you better not place any bets....now that's how I really feel! OBTW...I own a circa 1980 243 BDL THAT SHOOTS REAL GOOD...nearly as good as my Sako.
Old 02-03-2005, 06:41 AM

Well I just bought a Rem 700 ADL Synthetic in 243. Topped it off with a Mueller 3-10X44 Illuminated Scope. Very sweet setup IMO. Havent got to shoot it yet as I jsut got the scope last night. Plan to hit the range this weekend. The stock is on the flimsy side so I will probably replace it next year. Other than that the gun is great. It will be my coyote/deer gun for long to come.
Old 02-03-2005, 06:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Last time I checked a 6mm is same caliber isn't it? Are you saying 5 bullets at 200 yards or 100 yards? remingtons best rifles were produced in the 60's and 70's anything after that date is inconsistent quality with a few exceptions.
Old 02-04-2005, 03:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have had a lot of Remington rifles. They seem as good to me as ever. I have not bought one for a couple years but the las one in 257 Robert, 2001 speciai run is fantastic. 700 Synthetic.

Sako might be ok but many folks can't afford to take a chance. Just to much money.

I like the 6MM Remington much better than the 243. Same caliber bigger case.
Old 02-04-2005, 04:31 AM
Typical Buck

I have one of the first rem classic's that came out in 243.It was a great shooter out of the box,nothing has been done to it except adjust the trigger.Years ago when I used it for deer hunting I dropped a buck,shot it in the throat @287 yds using my nephews shoulder as a rest,so I would say it is pretty accurate.
A friend has a tika in 243 ( which I have heard that the tika out shoots the sako???) and he didn't think anything could beat the groups he was getting @100 yds till I let him shoot the rem.
Another friend that I shoot with has a rem 700 with a hart bull barrel and at 300 yds that thing is awesome.Watched him shoot some impressive groups at 500 yds with it too.
Mine has been in the safe for years except the day I let the fellow with the tika shoot it,I may have to get it out and shoot it some this summer.
Have seen a few shooting the savage in 243 at the range shooting factory ammo but no spectatual groups.Have other savages that shoot very accurate groups with hand loads.
Don't think there is any guantee that one brand is any more accurate than the other.The best way to start though is to get the one that fits and feels the best to you.Then work on the accuracy.
Old 02-06-2005, 10:23 AM

comments on posts above:

1. The 6mm remington has a different case than the 243 win. It's like mixing apples and oranges......ie .222 vs .223.
2. OLDELKHUNTER,if you are suggesting that you are shooting 1/4 inch to touching groups at 200 yards, then you are the only person in the world doing this.
3. I assumed the question was aimed at factory rifles.
4. I have nothing against the Tikka rifles...they are made in the same factory as the Sako in Riihimaki, Finland. Tikka uses the Sako barrel, however, they use stamped parts and plastic in various parts that lowers the price. The Tikka, by the way is less expensive than a 700 BDL and has a reputation for being one of the most accurate out of the box rifles made. Don't own one....rumor mill only.
5. Don't know much about the newer rifles. My Sako version is a L579 made prior to 1979.
6. My BDL is a circa 1979-80 version that shoots very respectible groups. The Sako and Remington both have excellent fully adjustible triggers.
7. The Remington offers a wider variety of scope mounts than the Sako's.
8. The Sako I spent 240 bucks for in 1978 is worth 700 today. The BDL that I bought in 1980 for 250 bucks is now worth 500. GA prices for NRA excellent rifles.
Bottom line...both great guns, great caliber and fun to shoot. Regards, Rick.
Old 02-07-2005, 01:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

OLDELKHUNTER,if you are suggesting that you are shooting 1/4 inch to touching groups at 200 yards, then you are the only person in the world doing this.
Sorry Grasshopper not the only one doing it the holes touch at that range although the other rifle is an equally old varmint rifle in 6 rem mag. Now a very good friend bought a Sako l579 2 years ago in 243 ..I would say the workmanship was ok but it had a good barrel on it and it shot very well at 100 yards but not any better then this 6mm. My 6mm probably costs 350 dollars that Sako sold for 1000 when he unloaded it.
Old 02-08-2005, 09:20 AM

I have had quite a few 243's but I must admit the Ruger no.1 with a Pecar6x45 I have just now is my favourite.

Stew