HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Bolt Action Advice (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/88721-bolt-action-advice.html)

Dakota Blues 01-31-2005 04:40 PM

Bolt Action Advice

I am stongly considering a 300WSM. I've read great things about the Browning A-Bolts, but I'm a little hung up on the lack of controlled feeding and a mauser style extractor. I mainly hunt deer, but will be going on a moose trip in Alaska in the near future. It seems that while hunting in bear country, you should be adequately prepared to shoot a bear (and it seems mauser style extractors are definately prefered). Any comments on the Brownings, and is the extractor consideration way over-blown? Browning and Remington can't have it all wrong can they?

Also, any experiences with the 300WSM recoil would be appreciated.

bigbulls 01-31-2005 06:34 PM

RE: Bolt Action Advice

Are you planning on chambeing your rifle upside down? If not then don't worry about it.

And to be honest with you most push feed bolt actions will still chamber a cartridge upside down. All of mine do. Fast and slow.

If you have to have CRF then there are a number of other rifles that have this feature.
Winchester, Kimber come immediately to mind.

The recoil of the 300WSM is very manageable. My 11 year old son shoots mine just fine and never complains about the recoil.

48thguns 01-31-2005 06:40 PM

If you mainly hunt deer and go on an occasional moose hunt then I recommend a 30'06. 200 or 220 gr for moose and 165's for deer. Check out the new Steyr rifles w/ syn stock...great value...great rifle. http://www.stevebarnettfineguns.com/frm_inventory1.htm
guns America also has them along with the new Sako/Tikka...good luck. Regards, Rick

gorse 01-31-2005 10:11 PM

-

Dakota Blues 02-01-2005 05:48 AM

Bigbulls,

Thanks for the reply. What rifle do you have chambered in 300WSM and any guess as to it's weight (with and without scope and mounts)? The Kimber 8400 only lists as 3 oz. lighter than the Browing Stainless Stalker. I sure like everything I read about the Kimbers, just concerned it won't be fun to shoot.

Thanks again.

Slamfire 02-01-2005 06:37 AM

Beside the excessive shineyness, there's one thing I've got against the A bolt for dangerous game. With three luga and a bolt lift of 60 degrees, the rifle lacks the extraction power of the two lug/90 degree bolt lift rifle. You don't need to worry about gettin' the next round into the chamber if your can't get the old one out. [:@]

oldelkhunter 02-01-2005 08:10 AM

Well if your concerned about the reliablilty of push feed guns ..maybe you need to examine The Model 70. first off the action was not designed for 300 or any of the WSM cartridges just something modified to work with them and it shows based on my experience with them. The Model 70 extractor is cast not spring steel like on other mauser copy rifles. I wouldn't feel comfortable with any model 70 WSM in a dangerous game situation, Even if the gun had been gone over by a very competent gunsmith. Look at Howa ,Sako and Kimber and Browning. An accurate rifle is only one part of the equation . Reliability and Rifle design is the most important and most overlooked by some.

Dakota Blues 02-01-2005 09:19 AM

Thanks Oldelkhunter. The Sako's do have a mauser style extractor I believe; and the Kimber's do for sure. What Browning are you refering to? I really like the construction of the Kimber, but at 6lbs 2ozs clean, I'm just not sure. I definately don't want a muzzle-brake (can't stand the noise), but still wonder if the recoil will be too much. I really like the sound of the 300wsm round, and realize the recoil won't bother me on a hunt, assuming of course I can stand to put some time in behind the gun at the bench. Maybe the Kimber or Sako Finnlight and a sissy-pad is the right answer. Any comments appreciated.

James B 02-01-2005 09:38 AM

You will have no trouble with the Browning. I have been using mine for years and notta problem of any kind. Mine is a 308.

oldelkhunter 02-01-2005 09:53 AM

If I had to pick a gun for a WSM cartridge it would be the Sako 75 SS hunter(not the finnlight) or a Kimber 8400 in the wood stock. Browning A bolt and the Howa would be the next choices. I have owned/own 2 of these(Howa and Browning) both fine guns..now if someone at Howa would redesign their triggers they would place higher.