Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 What type of Handgun? >

What type of Handgun?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

What type of Handgun?

Old 01-31-2005, 01:44 PM

Default What type of Handgun?

I'm getting my pistol permit and I am having a hard time deciding on what kind of pistol to buy. I really have my heart set on a semi-automatic, but how effective are these in hunting situations? I really dont want to go with a revolver, due to the fact that i may want to use it for personal protection as well. Suggestions or Thoughts Please!
Old 01-31-2005, 02:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What type of Handgun?

There really isn't much that is going to cover your entire spectrum. A concealed carry pistol is not going to make for a hunting peice, and a super black hawk isn't going to conceal easily. Do not fear a revolver in a PP scenerio, is not about how many rounds the gun holds its about the gun going bang when you need it and every time you pull the trigger. a 6" double action 357 mag would probably be your closest attempt to cover both, but again its not anywhere near optimal for either.
Old 01-31-2005, 02:05 PM

my duty weapon is a beretta 96ss 40s&w this is also my off duty weapon. exept when i am hunting i carry my ruger super blackhawk 44mag. hope this helps
Old 01-31-2005, 02:12 PM

A personal protection (by that I assume you mean carrying it) semi-auto, that is also appropriate for hunting. Hmmmm - that seems like a bit of a stretch for a single gun. My advise would be to not get a single "compromise" gun. Get two - one for hunting, and another for personnal protection. If you can't afford two right now - get the one you need/want the most, and save up for the other.
Old 01-31-2005, 04:26 PM
DM

I really have my heart set on a semi-automatic, but how effective are these in hunting situations? I really dont want to go with a revolver, due to the fact that i may want to use it for personal protection as well.
Are you saying that when i pull my revolver, what ever i shoot with it won't be dead??????? Tell that to the dog that attacked me, one shot and it was over!!!!

I don't subscribe to the "spray and pray theory", if i didn't get the job done with the 6 rounds in my revolver, i doubt if "any amount more" would help at all!!!

Drilling Man
Old 01-31-2005, 04:31 PM
Typical Buck

desert egale in 50AE should handle both

http://www.magnumresearch.com/Browse...Eagle:Mark+XIX
Old 01-31-2005, 07:20 PM

Desert Eagle .50 AE is a good choice for a semi. auto. I've carried one for a few years now. How ever the weight can wear down the weak. A .44 Desert Eagle would be a good choice also. I like relovers over auto for hunting. There is no good for everything gun.
Old 01-31-2005, 07:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

IMO buy 2 pistols
1 Ruger revolver in 44 mag or 454 for deer and hog ect
1 9mm , 40 or 45 for a carry gun . I have a Kel tec P-11 9mm that rides in my pocket most of the time , works perfictly even full of pocket lint.
Old 01-31-2005, 09:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's hard to beat Rugers on value. They're as accurate and well made as anything, not to mention AMERICAN MADE. They're strong enough to have their own section in many reloading manuals, and as far as I'm concerned, they're just as good looking as any other revolver cheaper than $1000.

If you want something that will hunt AND save your life, look into the new Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan. In .454cassul with a "short" bbl, you've got a LOT of punch for hunting, but lightly loaded .45colt rounds are excellent for self defense.

As far as using semiautomatic pistols for hunting goes, they're essentially worthless. Yes, the .44supermag and the desert eagle pistols are good hunting weapons, but basically, the "common" pistol rounds aren't "hunting rounds", especially for a beginning handgunner.

You might also look into something along the lines of a Ruger .44mag Redhawk in a 5.5" bbl. You'd have plenty of power for hunting, but a cheap .44spcl alternative for plinking, and light recoiling .44spcl hp loadings for self defense. You could consider the same gun in .45colt also, but it's getting pretty light for hunting big game. Or you could go with a Ruger GP-100 .357mag 4". Just enough stank for hunting as long as you're accurate, and very fast and handy for self defense.
Old 01-31-2005, 10:48 PM

ORIGINAL: TrailTimer
I'm getting my pistol permit and I am having a hard time deciding on what kind of pistol to buy. I really have my heart set on a semi-automatic, but how effective are these in hunting situations? I really dont want to go with a revolver, due to the fact that i may want to use it for personal protection as well. Suggestions or Thoughts Please!
Don't know of any semi-auto pistol that would really be a good choice for a hunting handgun. Since you want to use this handgun for both hunting & pers. defense I'd have
to suggest a good revolver. Take a look at the Smith&Wesson N frame revolvers.
A 44mag. will do for the hunting, and you can load it with 44Specials for personal defense. Another possibility would be a Ruger Redhawk in 44mag., or step up to the
454Casull, using 45Colt for defense. However, none of these would be very suitable
for conceal carry use if you want that.
The other option, as noted, is to go for two. Get a revolver for hunting, and a pistol for personal protection.

Quick Reply: What type of Handgun?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.