Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Anybody have any tips for shooting offhanded? >

Anybody have any tips for shooting offhanded?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Anybody have any tips for shooting offhanded?

Old 02-01-2005, 07:20 AM

Default RE: Anybody have any tips for shooting offhanded?

Doe Dumper

I dry fire at deer all the time. Its amazing how still and relaxed the brain allows you to be if you know you aren't gonna shoot. Still its good practice.

Don't discount the value of a good 22 and a case of GOOD 22 shells. That doesn't have to mean expensive. It does mean you go down to the local gun shop and buy a box of every bullet they have. Then what shoots best you try to buy 5000 of at least. Of course there is no guarantee that it will shoot well if its not from the same lot # but for practical purposes it should work fine. IE not match winning accuracy but good enough for this game.

I'd shoot the 22 so much till you are one with it. And say you have a Ruger 77, buy a 77-22. If its not heavy enough, put some lead in the buttstock. Keep the same kind of scope basically. Same weight trigger pull. And shooot.

You can then move up to something like a small centerfire at the end of summer and finally to the real deal as season closes in. One thing you don't want, is to burn up your good barrel. While a 22 might take 100K rounds to shoot out, a 300 mag can do it in 1500 rounds.

FWIW Idon't shoot my actual hunting rifles much except for load testing and zeroing. IE drop checking. My brain accepts the fact that shooting is shooting. Doesnt' matter what you put in my hands. And lately for longer ranges I'm much more inclined to click on the sights instead of guessing holdovers.

Finally for practice ammo-- don't discount bulk surplus ball powders (www.patsreloading.com, powder valley and a few others) and bulk bullets like Rem bulk corelokts etc.... They may not be quite as accurate or have the same trajectories but its sure cheaper than blasting with primo ammo. SAve that for zeroing, checking and hunting. IMHO

Jeff
Old 02-01-2005, 11:57 AM

The right gun/sight set-up is also important. A lever action with iron sites or ghost rings is a lot easier to snap shoot than a long barreled, bolt action with a scope. If you use a scoped rifle invest in a set of brush rings for it. Then practice snap shooting with your iron sites. As a general rule a shorter, lighter gun that is very "pointable" will be easier to snap shoot than a longer, heavier gun.
Old 02-01-2005, 12:09 PM
bigcountry

Does anyone have the armys handbook online for rifleman? I got a copy for pistol which helped me out alot years ago with correcting my stance and eye and breathing.

Old 02-01-2005, 06:03 PM

Big

Sorry I don't have an online copy BUT go to delphi forums Florida Highpower(rifle shooting?) and ask for it. They have done a bunch of online stuff and it may be available. I lived there every day while actively match shooting till family health issues etc... all caved in and I decided its high time to start hunting again, I'd like to kill an elk etc... before I die....

1865, I have to respectfully disagree on iron sights. I used to think the same way but I can snap shoot onto target much faster and very accurately with low power optics. I'm not fighting sight alignment and am very quick that way. In fact if its really close shots, I suspect out to 30 yards or so you don't need sights anyway. I sure don't use pistol sights at close range ever.

Jeff
Old 02-02-2005, 06:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for all the tips!