HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   looking for 270 for first deer gun (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/88554-looking-270-first-deer-gun.html)

kyleskinner 01-30-2005 02:12 PM

looking for 270 for first deer gun

I am looking at purchasing my first deer rifle. My friend told me to look at a savage 270 short mag. I didn't know what other people thought and if someone has something to sell that would be good let me know. Thanks.

bigbulls 01-30-2005 03:06 PM

RE: looking for 270 for first deer gun

Well you need to tell us where you will be doing you hunting. What type of terrain it is, what is the farthest shot you will have?

We will be inclined to reccomend two completely different rifles and cartridges to different types of hunting situations. IE...... long "bean field" type shots in the open Texas brush country VS. very short shots along the Eastern and Southern US.

dkhamner 01-30-2005 03:15 PM

cousin of mine got a left handed browning .270wsm for christmas. its a salty little dude. should be a great deer gun but woudn't recommend on awful long shots. good luck.

kyleskinner 01-30-2005 03:15 PM

I will be using it for deer hunting. I will be shooting no further than 200 yards mainly in pastures and woodlands in kansas and texas.

bigbulls 01-30-2005 03:31 PM

With this being your first deer rifle and shototing deer out to 200 yards I would highly reccomend sticking with the regular .270 Win. It will do absolutely anything you would want it to do on deer size animals and do it for about 1/4th the cost of the 270WSM. The savings would allow you to thoot the rifle much more and get some good practice.

Other good suggestions would be any of the cartridges based on the 308. Such as the 308 itself, 7mm-08, & 243

kyleskinner 01-30-2005 04:08 PM

What do you think of a Browning A-Bolt 270 winchester. I had a guy offer one to me for 500. I saw that there was a guy selling a winchester on this website for 400 but haven't been able to get a hold of him.

James B 01-30-2005 04:28 PM

I agree with BB on this for sure. If you are talking deer from 0 to 400 yards, the regular 270 is all you need. However if the 270 WSM is in a rifle that you like better then there would be nothing wrong with that either. Graig Boddington recently wrote a good article in which he said the 270 was in his opinion, the best deer rifle going. He added that for that reason the 280 would be just as good. The browning A-Bolt in either caliber would be hard to beat. However on my retirement income, the Savage would get my vote. If it was just a money issue the NEF 270 Handi rifle for 200 bucks new would save some serious money.

12 pointer 01-30-2005 05:03 PM

I have a Savage model 110 in 270 winchester that I got new for about $320. It is extremely accurate and good quality for the money. It will kill deer from probably 400 yards easy. I think it is one of the best values for a rifle.

Ruger-Redhawk 01-30-2005 05:27 PM

Go with a 270 Win.A couple of rifles I might suggest are a Remington 700 ADL or the Ruger M-77. I have a Remington mentioned and it's proved to lay them low.The Savage is a great rifle for the money.Being your first rifle I wouldn't go overboard buying a high dollar rifle until you decide what you really want. The Brownings are great rifles.I might suggest a 30-06. They are a good all around cartridge.Get a caliber where you'll be able to find most places.Some of the newer cartridges maybe harder to find.Example I went to Wally World the other day. I asked for 7mm08. The woman looked at me like I was crazy.She never heard of them.They carry all of the common calibers,not saying the 7mm08 isn't but that's one she didn't have a clue about.Yes she looked under the counter.

Ruger Redhawk

beebecl 01-30-2005 07:06 PM

When you decide what you want, let me quote you a price on a new one.