Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Sniper Rifle >

Sniper Rifle

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Sniper Rifle

Old 01-30-2005, 10:57 AM

Default Sniper Rifle

In your opinion......what is the best sniper rifle out there and why.
Old 01-30-2005, 11:08 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: Sniper Rifle

I load for a FN SPR that is outstanding. The FBI just approved it for buying along with the H-S. The FN can be had for 1350 dollars. What I like most about it is the chrome lined barrel. I mean after shooting this thing 40 rounds, there is almost now copper fouling. It only takes a few minutes to clean out the copper and carbon. It has excellent cold shot POI repeatability too. Almost all myrifles POI cold shot with oil in the barrel is 1-2MOA off center. But this FN doesn't have that issue. It comes with a McMillian stock and the one I shoot is guarnteed for sub .5MOA. Has controlled round feed, 3 position safety, and detachable mag, with a real metal floor plate and trigger guard.

Good value for the price.

I have had PSS's and they just don't compare in the features mentioned.

Old 01-30-2005, 12:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

gogiggen, what ranges are you anticipating?
Old 01-30-2005, 01:48 PM

www.snipershide.com may be good reading
Old 01-30-2005, 04:37 PM

biscuit.....I was just wondering what rifles you thought were good......range doesnt matter....but for a sniper rifle it would need to be accurate at long ranges.
Old 01-30-2005, 06:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Remington 700 VLS 168 gr. FMJ hard surface, 168 gr. HP soft tissue, V-Max or FMJ for extended yardage.
Old 01-30-2005, 08:19 PM

Accuracy International AWP....nuff said!
Old 01-30-2005, 08:29 PM

Are you talking Military sniper OR Civilian sniper (as in police)? Big difference with respect to actual ranges to target. For example, I read that the average shot made by a police sniper with the LA police dept was less than 200 yards (just down the block from the bad guy). And many were just across the street. Such distances are quite unusual for the military sniper.
Old 01-30-2005, 08:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

If I was in the business I would go for a Remington 700 heavy barrel in 7.62 nato (.308 win) and put a good 3x9 scope on it. That way you could cover both close work and reach out for a long shot. In my USMC days in the early 70's our snipers dropped VC at 900 yards no problem. You can certainly set up more powerful and longer range rigs; you are also looking at really expensive stuff, though. That is why the range question. I had a .222 Remington with a low report that would be fine for in town police work. I guess people use 223's now.

I continue to hear issues concerning late model Remingtons, though. Not meaning to stir up the board, but if I was buying new, I would take a careful look at it.
Old 01-30-2005, 11:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jake, I agree with you 100% on the 308 Win. This round is an excellent choice for short, urban situations or long range applications. The correct selection of bullet for each application is the only decision needed. As for the 222 and 5.56 they are quite temperamental when a shot is required through glass or even curtain material. With such a small bullet backed with all that speed, deflection becomes a primary concern, especially in an urban situation.

Quick Reply: Sniper Rifle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.