Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Too much gun? >

Too much gun?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Too much gun?

Old 01-28-2005, 12:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Too much gun?

James. I love your way of thinking about rifles. I think you and I must be related somehow.

I love this little article from Chuck Hawks web site about "adequate elk rifles".
It has come to my attention that it takes a much larger and more powerful cartridge to kill elk these days than it used to. Last time I checked, all the elk that I have shot with a .30-06, are still dead, but I fear that soon this will not be the case.

If what the gun writers say is true, then, in just a few short years the .30-06 will not be just "marginal," but totally inadequate for killing elk. It's just a short step from there to proclaiming that killing an elk with a .30-06 is "virtually impossible."

As you are probably aware, the elk was almost shot into extinction over most of the west before smokeless powder was invented. As you are also well aware, the elk population in the west is increasing and expanding into places where elk have not lived for a hundred years.

There can be only one explanation. Those elk that were killed in the 19th Century are coming back to life because they never could have been killed in the first place.

So far, this has not affected me personally, other than giving me more elk to shoot at but, as I said earlier, I fear that soon my antler collection will begin to slowly and mysteriously vanish, as if it never existed. What does this mean to the future of hunting? How will it affect the space-time continuum?

I might also point out that mule deer numbers are probably in decline because they are being killed really, really, really dead at 3000 fps from 400 yards away, rather than just sort of dead with a .30-30.

And how long before bow hunters get caught up in the Short Magnum fad? Talk about feed problems!
Old 01-28-2005, 02:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

I believe your right BC. I keep hearing nothing can be to much but would there ever even be enough?
Old 01-28-2005, 08:21 AM

IF YOU CAN SHOOT IT .....IF IF IF ...THEN DO SO
Old 01-28-2005, 08:59 AM

ORIGINAL: James B

I believe your right BC. I keep hearing nothing can be to much but would there ever even be enough?

I totally agree with this!!!
Old 01-28-2005, 09:01 AM
bigcountry

I think there are too many busy bodies worrying about what everyone else is shooting and not worrying about thierselfs and family anymore. I think alot of it has to do with insecuritys. What I am saying, is they feel somehow dejected cause others are not shooting what they are shooting. Thats all I can figure or why would they even care. I never ask the question is someone shooting too much gun or whatever. Ain't none of my business, I ain't paying for thier hunt, so what what do I care. I don't get any of thier meat.

Old 01-28-2005, 11:03 AM

A few things on this post aggravte me.

1. Its not body size that dictates how a person percieves recoil. If you can handle it,then shoot it. Don't just stick with 243 because you are small. Keep trying so you know your threshold. While I can kill anything on the continent with a 22LR or probably a 22 short, that doesn't mean that larger is wrong. The extra horsepower is there if you ever need it. Of course as stated shot placement in foremost.

2. Large calibers make hamburger of deer etc...... When I was a kid I shot a 243 and lost lots of meat to shoulder shots with that rifle. I ended up headshooting for a long time because I didn't care for the mess. Then I bought a 300 wtby and had to shoot a deer in the body to see. Much to my amazement that large hunk of lead did less damage by far than my 243 ever did. Now again if you shoot a mag and decide for some silly reason to shoot a light bullet-- then yes I'll agree to meat damage. But not more than my 243 ever did.

End result. Use what you can handle and don't let others persuade you. Proof is in the pudding and if you kill all yours with a 22lr and are happy so be it. But let the rest of us use what we want and, while I"m at it, shoot as far as we are capable of ethically.

Jeff
Old 01-28-2005, 12:01 PM

Nope, can't have too much gun.

Look, people in general are stupid, impractical, naive, and incredibly gullible to advertising. If a gun company can convince just one moron that he needs to buy a .460 Wby for "all purpose" hunting, and he can convince just one of his 3 friends that they need one too...well, it doesn't take long before everybody needs one.

Does he need that .460? Will he ever shoot anything with it that can't be adequately killed with something smaller and cheaper? Will he ever have to defend himself from some charging wild beast that no other gun could possibly save him but the 460 will? No, no, and amazingly enough, no.

But is it his right to have that .460 and hunt anything that he wants to with it in the statues of the law? You betcha.

And God bless those laws that lets us own what we want for what we want.
Old 01-28-2005, 12:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

is the goverment working on anything big enough for deer or elk i'm looking for something that will field-dress, skin, and de-bone my deer, anybody got any suggestions

i'm also looking for a 4 wheel drive p/u that gets between 30-50mpg and can attain a top speed of 150mph, but that is quite enough that i can hear the radio
Old 01-28-2005, 04:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

M. T. Sounds as though a laser is what your looking for. A built in cooking system could also be installed. Now is the laser would melt a Hippo with one blast then it would soon be needed for elk and deer as well. Maybe the folks a Winchester could get to work on this right away. It would have to have an artificial recoil unit so it could be set to knock peoples eyes crossed or the macho feeling wouln't be there.
Old 01-28-2005, 04:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

LMFAO!!!! So what you are tryin to say is it needs a folding hand that come sout of the stock and smacks the taste out of our mouths after pulling the trigger?

M.T. Sign me up for one of them there trucks..I gots to have it!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.