HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Which scope for my rifle? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/88180-scope-my-rifle.html)

aaronkash 01-27-2005 12:17 PM

Which scope for my rifle?

Hello all. This is my first post and I appolgize if this is a repost. I very recently purchased a Browning A-Bolt II 30-06 Medallion. Now the question becomes what scope to buy? A buddy of mine is willing to sell me a scope of his (brand new): its a Nikon Monarch 2-7x32. I must be honest, my knowledge of scopes is fairly limited. Would this scope be sufficient for my rifle? I intend to shot at the range and use it for hunting (elk, deer). Should I acquire a more powerful scope? Or a different brand? And as for rings and bases, what kind should I purchase? If anyone has any advice, I would be very appreciative. Thanks.
-Aaron

redsox3624 01-27-2005 12:52 PM

RE: Which scope for my rifle?

personally i want a bigger view that a 32. if i were you i would buy a 3-9x40 bushnell or leuopold. where ever you buy the scope you can buy rings there.

Solitary Man 01-27-2005 01:31 PM

That Nikon scope will probably work fine for you. The magnification range is just right for what you plan on hunting. You may also want to consider the Zeiss Conquest, Leupold VX-II or VX-III and Bushnell Elite 4200. The Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 is my personal favorite. A 40mm objective lens (instead of 32) will offer a little better low light performance.

As far as mounts are concerned I'd recommend Burris Signatures (either dual dovetails or Zee rings), Talleys or Leupold dual dovetails. The Burris Signatures is probably the way I'd go.

And BTW, welcome aboard.

aaronkash 01-27-2005 02:13 PM

Thanks for the advice guys. I will take it all into consideration. And thanks for welcoming me.

speedgator 01-27-2005 03:07 PM

Research over at www.opticstalk.com is very good for scopes. Read a lot and then you can get a good feel for what you want/need. I would absolutely go for a 40mm or above lens right off the bat though.

Virginia7 01-27-2005 03:31 PM

The Nikon Monarch 2-7x32 should work just fine on your 30-06 for hunting of deer & elk.
The magnification power of 2-7x is all anyone really needs for big game hunting. I have
a Leupold 2-7x 33mm, and get all the light I can use (have it on my 270Win.).
Just really depends on the price - is your friend giving you a decent deal?

Here's a link to a good outfit to get scopes from, and can use it to check out prices if nothing else.

Link: SWFA: http://www.riflescopes.com/store/default.asp

aaronkash 01-27-2005 04:19 PM

Well, I met the guy when I worked at Dick's Sporting Goods in the Lodge section. I have since moved on; however, he still works there (worked at Bass Pro prior to that). He somehow got the scope from a vendor through Dick's for $100.00. He has never used it and said he would sell it to me for $100.00. I believe this is a pretty good deal. I suppose my main concern is having enough light in early morning and dusk situations. And I am also somewhat concerned about versatility. While I know I will mostly be huting deer and elk, I dont want to limit myself to that because of the scope I buy. I would rather get something that could be used for different types of game further down the road when I become more experienced (bear, moose; or even smaller game).

aaronkash 01-27-2005 04:32 PM

I guess as of right now, I'm leaning towards the Leupold 3-9x40 VX-I. It appears to be a pretty good scope, and around my price range (I would like to keep my speding to below $250.00). Would this suffice as a good, solid all-around scope? Is 3-9x50 VX-I overkill for my rifle and purposes? or is a 4-12x40 or 50 too much? Also, what is the difference in "gloss" and "matte"? And, is "wide duplex" the best way to go? I really appreciate all of the responses and help.

North Texan 01-27-2005 06:30 PM

Welcome to the forums aaronkash!

With good quality optics, a 40mm objective is just as good as a 50mm objective. For most hunting rifles, a 3-9x40 is an excellent choice. Leupold is a good brand. They have the best eye relief of any scope I have ever shot. Gloss is a shiny black and matte is about as shiny as most rifles. As far as duplex vs. wide duplex, that's just up to personal preference.

jmfa1957 01-27-2005 06:42 PM

ORIGINAL: aaronkash

Hello all. This is my first post and I appolgize if this is a repost.
-Aaron
Aaron, again, welcome to the forum! I suggest that you check the link below out. There is a lot of good information (in opinion form) on scopes. Good luck with your choice!:D

- - John

http://www.chuckhawks.com/index2i.scopes_optics.htm