Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Which scope for my rifle? >

Which scope for my rifle?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Which scope for my rifle?

Old 01-28-2005, 10:26 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Which scope for my rifle?

O.K... Let me break down your options for you...

I have a Leupold VX-II 3x9(one of this years models). I got a great price on it so I couldn't pass it up. It is a very good scope, I find it to be bright and the click adjustments are pretty exact. I also know that with a Leupold I am paying a premium for their amazing customer service. It has great eye releif, but is not constant. I find the variable knobs easy to use and the are easy to adjust with gloves on. Having said all that, I do not think this scope is really worth $300, I do like the clean look of it though.

I hava a new Nikon 4x12-40 Monarch UCC. This scope is the brightest scope I own, again I got a great deal on it I couldn't pass up. Click adjustments are very accurate, eye releif is average and constant. I beleive their customer service to be O.K., but have no experience. The variable knobs are somewhat stiff when using gloves and it does not have as clean of a look ast the Leupold. Having said all that this scope to me optically is well worth the $300+ and optically is more comparable to Leupolds VX-III line than their VX-II. One other problem I have is that the monarch is not as forgiving as some other scopes I have used in terms of head position.

My father just purchased a Zeiss Conquest 3-9... It is a great scope, but I think some people out them over rate them a little. I find that the sight picture is extremely easy to pick up rapidly. The scope looks very clean and is bright, however I think the Nikon Monarch is a little brighter to my eyes. I would definately chose this scope for the money over the Leupold VX-III.

I have a Busnell elite 3200 and an older Bausch and Lomb 3000 (really the same scope). I really like both of them optically, they are one of the best deals out there. My only problem is I don't particularly like to use them on any guns with heavy recoil due to their VERY low eye releif ~3 inches. Some people don't find this a problem, I don't know why they haven't made a scope with better eye releif.

I don't own a Burris Fullfield II. Everyone seems to love them and what a deal... 200 bucks with a free spotting scope!!! I do own the "free" 20x50 spotting scope that comes with it (purchased from Natchez for $50) and think it was a great bargain. The reason I didn't like these scopes was because of the Ballistic Plex (some people love it), I am just too old fashioned I like nice cross hairs. I do have Burris compact on a TC Omega and find it works pretty well, the eye releif is almost too much though. It is a very bright scope and it is very compact (hence the name). By the way the Fullfield II isn't "really" a typical Burris scope, it is Chinese, obviously so they can compete with other inexpensive scopes out there, just in case you thought you were getting an american scope.

Don't write off the Simmons AETEC... It is hands down the best deal for the money... It is a 130 dollar scope that optically compares to scopes worth more than twice that.

I have also heard the Weaver Grand Slam is a pretty good scope, I think they are made with the same glass as the AETEC, they are a little more expensive, but offer some features the AETEC does not.

My next scope is going to be the Sightron SII 3-9x42... I think you can get one on Natchez for around 220 dollars. I have picked up this scope a couple of times and have been very impressed. Everything I hear about them is positive. From what I hear they might offer the best customer service in the business, rivaling even Leupold. Anyone whom has sent their scopes in for service whom I have heard from have received a brand new scope! They actually manufacture the glass for Leupold as well. I would heavily consider this scope.

Of course opinions are like belly buttons, we all have one, but compare the statistics and draw your conclusion after you look at some of the scopes out there... Good luck!
Old 01-28-2005, 04:09 PM

Well, after reading these many responses, and reading articles online, I think I have narrowed it down to three scopes.

1) Leupold 3-9x40 VX-II
2) Sightron SII 39x42 (after reading articles about this scope, it is becoming very
tempting)
3) Burris 3-9x40 Fullfield II (will eye relief be an issue with this one?)

What do you guys think? Remember, this is going on a 30-06.
Old 01-28-2005, 04:18 PM

-
Old 01-28-2005, 04:23 PM

Gorse, I appreciate your straight forwardness. This clears up a lot of issues and concerns. I feel more comfortable buying the Nikon. Again, thanks.
Old 01-28-2005, 11:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

aaronkash:

Go to www.burrisoptics.com/fullfield.html Good luck.
Old 01-29-2005, 08:14 AM

Well, I talked to my friend again. Apparently he was mistaken about the Nikon being a Monarch. It's actually a Nikon ProStaff Shot Gun scope. So how are this line of scope? anygood? and I'm not feeling too great about mounting a shotgun scope on a Browning A-Bolt 30-06. Any advice on this matter would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 01-29-2005, 09:19 AM
Typical Buck

The prostaff is not a very good scope compared to the monarch...

The prostaff is Nikons low line of scopes, it does not have fully multicoated lenses, it might have click adjustments (not sure). Buckmasters by the way is their middle of the road line.

Will it work, yes... Is there better scopes out there... Definately yes...

$100 wouldn't be a great deal, I think it is a reasonable one...

If it were me and I had $100 to spend I would buy a Simmons AETEC 2.5-10x44 a much better scope (optically) than the prostaff
Old 01-29-2005, 10:57 AM

I went through the same process when I got my Omega and decided on a Simmons AETEC. I looked at the Leupold VX I and II, and I think the aetec is just as good as the vxii, much better than the vxi. I think it is a much better value than the Leupolds. It has constant 5" eye relief and a lifetime warranty.
Old 01-29-2005, 11:59 AM
Fork Horn

I'm a big fan of the Aetec. I've had Nikon Monarchs, Leupold VX-Is, VX-IIs, VariX-IIIs. Dollar for dollar the Aetec is hard to beat. Here they are for $129

Since the Nikon you were looking at turned out to be a Prostaff shotgun scope, I would pass on it if I were you.
Old 01-29-2005, 12:24 PM

For the price range suggested, go with a Mueller Scope, I have 3 of them and they smoke my Swift, Vai-X II and Elite 3200. They're a new company but making a big name for themselves on some of the biggest hunting and shooting forums. You can also find a review by Chuck Hawks on them, thats how I found them.

http://www.muelleroptics.com

CB

Quick Reply: Which scope for my rifle?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.