Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Which scope for my rifle? >

Which scope for my rifle?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Which scope for my rifle?

Old 01-27-2005, 08:55 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Which scope for my rifle?

ORIGINAL: aaronkash

I guess as of right now, I'm leaning towards the Leupold 3-9x40 VX-I. It appears to be a pretty good scope, and around my price range (I would like to keep my speding to below $250.00). Would this suffice as a good, solid all-around scope? Is 3-9x50 VX-I overkill for my rifle and purposes? or is a 4-12x40 or 50 too much? Also, what is the difference in "gloss" and "matte"? And, is "wide duplex" the best way to go? I really appreciate all of the responses and help.

Don't waste your money on a VX-I, they are of inferior optic quality... They do not have fully multicoated lenses nor do they have click 1/4 adjustments. To add onto all that they have a poor field of view at 100 yards and are made of three piece tubes (most companies beleive that 1 piece tubes are more durable)... You are just paying for the Leupold name.

Others to consider are the Sightron SII 3x9x42 or the Simmons AETEC 2.8-10x44... There are a bunch more but that would be a good starting point. If you are sold on getting a Leupold save up and at a minimum get a VX-II... Don't get the rifleman or VX-1, they are just inferior scopes.
Old 01-27-2005, 08:57 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: North Texan

Welcome to the forums aaronkash!

With good quality optics, a 40mm objective is just as good as a 50mm objective. For most hunting rifles, a 3-9x40 is an excellent choice. Leupold is a good brand. They have the best eye relief of any scope I have ever shot. Gloss is a shiny black and matte is about as shiny as most rifles. As far as duplex vs. wide duplex, that's just up to personal preference.
I agree with North Texan, not much vissually difference betweena 40 and 50 considering good optics, Leupold does have very good eye releif, but the Simmons AETEC is slightly better and offers constant eye releif, if you find that a plus (I do).
Old 01-27-2005, 09:23 PM

Aaron,

$100 for the Nikon is obviously a good price. I'd go for it.
Now, the Leupold VX-I, 3-9x40 is also a good scope, as are most any of the Leupold scopes. Currently, all my scopes are Leupold, and I got no complaints. But, the only gun I have a 3-9x on is my 22magnum which I use on crows & squirrels. It's a Leupold
compact. But, between the Nikon vs. the Leupold VX-I, I'd go for the Nikon.

When I lived in Wyoming I routinely used my 2-7x on my big game rifles. It had/has plenty of magnification for deer size game. I have it on my current 270Win. rifle.
I live in SW Virginia now, and hunt deer. I've also hunted other places, including N.J.,
MO., and PA., among others. I've never found my 2-7x wanting in any way.
All that said however, if you feel you would be more comfortable with a 3-9x, then go for it. A 40mm objective should be fine.
I don't see any point in scopes like the 4-12x, and 50mm on big game rifles. If someone is using it on a combo. rifle (big game & varmints), then maybe it makes sense, but don't overdo the magnification. The more magnification you get, the lesser the field of view - and the harder it seems to hold steady on your target.
Heck, my other big game rifles have 1-4x, and 1.75-5x scopes on them. Plenty of power for deer, etc. Big game is big targets. Too much scope is never good, especially for close in shots - all you see of the deer is hair. The real value of a scope is not the
magnification, but the single focal plane for sighting.
As for gloss vs. matte, I'd go with the matte finish if I could. Gloss is sort of like a polished blued finish on a rifle. It can be a little reflective under the right conditions, and
that (reflectivity) is never a good thing. The matte finish is just that - matte. Maybe think in terms of gloss latex paint vs. flat (?). You really should take a look at a few scopes at a shop to check out the differences.
My scopes have Duplex reticles. The wide duplex is okay I guess, but I like the standard
duplex reticle. Again, take a look at a few at a shop if they have 'em available with the
different reticles, and pick what you think would suit you best. Take your time - deer season don't come around again till next fall.

Try visiting Leupolds website. You'll find some good info. there, and you can check out the specs. for actual magnifications of the various scopes, along with eye relief figures, length, weight, etc.

BTW, if you need rings/bases for your rifle, I'd recommend the Leupold there too. The
torx head screws work a lot better for the rings compared to the std. slotted head screws.

Leupold link: http://www.leupold.com/main.htm

ps: Another good series of scopes is the Weaver. Here's a link for them: http://www.weaveroptics.com/
Old 01-27-2005, 09:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Been using a Tasco World Class 2x7x32 for the last 8 years on a 270. Have killed 30-40 deer with it at ranges from 5-300 yards.....2x7 is perfect for whitetail hunting if there are trees involved and not all open fields. Killer deal on that Monarch.......
Old 01-27-2005, 10:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

aaronkash:

Since you limit is $250.00 I would go for a Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40. Go to www.riflescopes.com . The scope comes with a free Burris spotting scope for $200.00. Good luck.
Old 01-27-2005, 11:06 PM

I must say, I am very, very appreciative for all of the responses. I feel lucky to have stumbled across such a great resource. To start, I don't have my heart set on a Luepold, it was just an idea. From word of mouth and reading, it seems to be the most popular scope brand. However, it seems that if I were to go that route, I woud at least need to purchase a VX-II or -III. So the question becomes is whether I should pay the ~$270+ for one of these scopes, or go with the Nikon my friend is offering for $100 bucks even? It seems that the Nikon Monarchs recieve very good reviews, and that the magnification will work just fine for the game I have in mind (although I am slightly concerned about lighting - will this hold up in darker times of the day?). Is it necessary to spend another ~170 bucks for a Leupold? Also, that combo deal with the Burris seems like a pretty good deal. I was hoping to get some of your guys' views on that. Is it really a good deal and a good scope? Does it compare or surpass the Nikon I have available? It seems like I'm narrowing it down to about three different ones: the nikon 2-7x32 monarch, a leupold (at least vx-II) with similar magnification, or this Burris combo deal. I would greatly apprecaite some advice on this. And again, I'm not set on any of these three scopes, I'm still open to suggestions. Thanks!
-Aaron
Old 01-28-2005, 06:58 AM

JMO. . . . Your gonna spend the money now or later. . .but you will probably learn and end up wanting at least 3-9X40 before all is said and done. Don't cheap out . . . you will regret that too and end up changing out the scope down the road.

.260 3-9 X40
.270 3-9 x40
7RM 4.5-14 x56

Old 01-28-2005, 07:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think anyone's mentioned the Bushnell Elite 3200. This is a good scope for the money. Not quite as much scope as a 4200, but a good value nonetheless. I've got one myself. It'll certainly be better than a VX-I.
Old 01-28-2005, 09:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't think anyone's mentioned the Bushnell Elite 3200. This is a good scope for the money. Not quite as much scope as a 4200, but a good value nonetheless. I've got one myself. It'll certainly be better than a VX-I.
My thoughts exactly.
Old 01-28-2005, 09:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I love Leupold scopes but I just purchased an Elite 3200 and it is definately clearer and brighter than my VXI's and my Vari X II's. Natchez shooter supply had them on sale for 154.99...you must call their 800# and ask for a Bushnell price on request. Definately a lot of scope for the money.

Quick Reply: Which scope for my rifle?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.