Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Classifieds > Guns
 Shipping accessories to Canada (Heads Up)! >

Shipping accessories to Canada (Heads Up)!

Guns Buy, sell, or trade your guns and gun accessories here.

Shipping accessories to Canada (Heads Up)!

Old 12-14-2011, 02:42 PM
Typical Buck
Treebeard's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ontario
Posts: 646

Easy my friend you guys were no better so let's not get ugly!
This truly a pain in the a.s.s I agree but we used to have a friendly border that you guys locked down and that is where this started
Originally Posted by HighDesertWolf
Thats a crock of horse dung....... Canada is sooooo FUBR. Canada should change the name of their country to Canadung. But what do you expect for a country that started from french origin
Treebeard is offline  
Old 02-07-2012, 05:16 PM
Typical Buck
Pioneer2's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 692
Default Your Sterotypical ........

Originally Posted by HighDesertWolf
Thats a crock of horse dung....... Canada is sooooo FUBR. Canada should change the name of their country to Canadung. But what do you expect for a country that started from french origin
Not a nice way to speak of an ally .The USMC sure liked us when our snipers saved their hides pinned down in a ditch in Afghanistan hunting Bin Laden.Thirty dead terrorists later problem solved..........courtesy of the Princes Patricia Light Infantry...........snipers.................have a nice day!
Pioneer2 is offline  
Old 04-01-2012, 04:38 PM
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Northern Ontario Canada
Posts: 5

My wife and I almost got arrested last fall coming back from a S Dakota pheasant hunt by US customs for "trying to export" legally purchased shotgun shells.First I'Ve heard of being checked while LEAVING the country.I think That is taking it too far.Apparently I can purchase,use,possess but cannot export ammo OUT OF the US.Canada customs says I can bring INTO Canada 5000 rds.
A visiting Americam hunter can bring into Canada Guns AND ammo no problem,no 5 months in advance paperwork,just declare them at our border purchase an export permit right then and there.
A candaian has to fill out a form 6 months in advance to bring a hunting gun INTO the US.Plus I would be able to bring ammo IN to the US with my gun but whatever I don't use stays in the states,no export.
I've been hunting in America for 30 yrs before 911.
Beleive me things have changed bigtime.
I attribute the actions of our Canadian customs to ignorance and stupidity,however your official stance against visiting sportsman is just being mean.
palermo is offline  
Old 05-14-2013, 09:36 AM
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 2

Just thought I would post this up as it seems as though things have changed(?) since the original post was made back in 2005.

Importing Firearms, Firearm Parts and Ammunition

The following information describes requirements under Canada’s Firearms Act for Canadian residents who import firearms, ammunition and firearms parts.

When firearms are imported into Canada from another country, the applicable Canadian laws, as well as laws of the countries where the firearms are coming from or transiting through, must be complied with.

Information on the laws of other countries can be obtained by contacting the authorities in that country or their embassy in Canada.

Importing Firearms
•An individual cannot bring a prohibited firearm into Canada as a new import, even if he or she is licensed to possess that class of firearm. A prohibited firearm that was temporarily taken out of Canada may be re-imported, providing the individual has the license privilege authorizing possession, as well as a Canadian registration certificate for the firearm.
•Note: If planning to take a firearm out of Canada, individuals may need an export permit from the Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade (DFAIT). More information is available from the Export Controls Division of DFAIT at 1-800-267-8376 (toll-free in Canada). Information on applying for an import or an export permit for controlled goods, such as firearms or ammunition, is available on the DFAIT website.
•In order to bring a restricted or non-restricted firearm into Canada as a new import, an individual must be at least 18 years old and have a Possession and Acquisition Licence (PAL) with the licence privileges for the class of firearm that is being imported. A Possession Only Licence (POL) does not allow individuals to import a newly acquired firearm, though it does allow the re-importation of one that was temporarily taken out of Canada.
•All firearms must be declared at Canada Customs and the applicable duties and taxes must be paid. More information on the declaration process is available from the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) Border Information Services telephone service at 1‑800-461-9999 (toll-free from within Canada), or for calls outside of Canada, at 1-204-983-3500 or 1-506-636-5064. CBSA also publishes a guide titled Information on Importing a Firearm or Weapon Into Canada (BSF5044).
•Before a restricted firearm can be imported into Canada:
◦it must be verified and registered with the Canadian Firearms Program (CFP). Assistance with the verification and registration of a newly imported firearm is available from the CFP at 1-800-731-4000 (Canada and the U.S.) or 1-506-624-5380 (outside Canada and the U.S.).
◦an individual must obtain, in advance, an Authorization to Transport (ATT) from the Chief Firearms Officer (CFO) of the province or territory where they will be entering Canada. A restricted firearm must first be verified and registered with the CFP before the CFO will issue an ATT for it. Individuals can apply for an ATT by contacting the CFP, or by mailing or faxing form RCMP 5490 to the applicable CFO.
•Firearms that are shipped to an individual in Canada must be handled by a carrier company licensed under the Firearms Act to transport firearms. A list of eligible carrier companies is available here: http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/c.../index-eng.htm
•Firearms shipped by a licensed carrier must be in a sturdy, non-transparent container that cannot readily be broken into and that is not likely to break open accidentally during transport. To deter theft, there should be no markings on the outside of the container to indicate that there are firearms inside unless the marking is an address. It is generally recommended that an envelope labelled “Customs Documents” be firmly attached to the outside of the container. Any waybills, import permits and export permits can then be put into the envelope.

Importing Firearm Parts and Ammunition
Prohibited ammunition or firearm parts that are classified as prohibited devices, including handgun barrels that are 105 mm or less in length or parts made exclusively for a fully automatic firearm, cannot be imported into Canada.

A valid firearms licence under Canadian law is not required to import non-prohibited firearm parts (except for a frame or receiver). However, an export permit from the other country may be required.

The Explosives Act sets limits on the amount of ammunition and ammunition components that may be imported without an import permit. Generally, the Explosives Act allows individuals to import up to 5,000 cartridges of non-prohibited ammunition for personal use without an import permit.

More information is available on the website of Natural Resources Canada (NRCan), or by calling the Explosives Regulatory Division of NRCan at the appropriate number listed on their website. An import permit may be required for smaller amounts in order to comply with the laws of the exporting country.

Authorizations to Import
Currently, an import authorization under Canadian law for firearms or firearm parts that are not prohibited is not required. More information on whether one is required by the laws of the country from where the firearm is being exported is available by contacting DFAIT or the country’s embassy in Canada.

For more information, contact the CFP.

This fact sheet is intended to provide general information only. For legal references, please refer to the Criminal Codeand theFirearms Act and their corresponding regulations. Provincial, territorial and municipal laws, regulations and policies may also apply.

Importation of Ammunition
A person is permitted to import up to 5000 rounds of safety cartridges for personal use and not for resale into Canada. An Importation Permit is required to import larger quantities. This restriction also applies to Americans citizens passing through Canada.

For additional information, contact:

International Trade Canada (for an International Import Certificate)
Tel.: 613-996-2387
Fax: 613-996-9933

Canadian Firearms Program
Tel. (toll-free): 1-800-731-4000
E-mail: [email protected]

Canadian Border Services Agency
Tel. (toll-free in Canada): 1-800-461-9999
Tel.: 204-983-3500 or 506-636-5064

Canadians must follow U.S. federal and state laws when purchasing ammunition in the U.S. For more information see the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosive’s



Last edited by Jaymac10; 05-14-2013 at 09:41 AM.
Jaymac10 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread Starter
Last Post
Whitetail Deer Hunting
04-24-2006 08:56 AM
Mike Hill
Black Powder
04-14-2006 11:00 AM
12-17-2004 12:31 AM
04-06-2004 07:05 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Quick Reply: Shipping accessories to Canada (Heads Up)!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.