Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Remington Shot Gun >

Remington Shot Gun

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Remington Shot Gun

Old 01-24-2005, 06:32 PM

Default RE: Remington Shot Gun

Gorse,

Thank you so much!! I'll have to do some range shooting to gauge distance and accuracy, but the info you gave me was great, I figured I had between 50-75yds. Just one more question...(since you have the same gun)...When hunting white tail, would you say the 2 3/4" slug is more effective than buck shot? AND with this gun can I shoot say 6-7 1/2" shells for skeet and target practice..thanks again!

Fraze
Old 01-24-2005, 09:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Frase, your smooth bore is not very likely to give you a good pattern for skeet as it has no choke. With small shot and bird shot, you have a shot column that can benefit by the shaping of some choke.

Buckshot, in those areas that allow it to be legal, is very effective on medium size game. I have heard deer hunters say that you need to pattern your shotgun & try to get 3 pellets minimum or so in your target of the 9, 12, or 15 that it has loaded in it. Otherwise, my experience with buckshot is in soldiering and I will skip that in this forum.

Good hunting.
Old 01-24-2005, 10:04 PM

ORIGINAL: biscuit jake

Frase, your smooth bore is not very likely to give you a good pattern for skeet as it has no choke. With small shot and bird shot, you have a shot column that can benefit by the shaping of some choke.

Buckshot, in those areas that allow it to be legal, is very effective on medium size game. I have heard deer hunters say that you need to pattern your shotgun & try to get 3 pellets minimum or so in your target of the 9, 12, or 15 that it has loaded in it. Otherwise, my experience with buckshot is in soldiering and I will skip that in this forum.

Good hunting.
Actually, remington slug barrels come with an improved cylinder RemChoke, and can be substituted for any size RemChoke tube, so in theory it can be used for any kinda shotgunning if the sights dont get in your way, but the short barrel isnt very well suited to shooting fast moving targets.

Buckshot isnt legal in Il where i am and dont know where it is legal, but i'd go with slugs before i'd shoot shot. More knockdown power, and more consistent accuracy at longer ranges, plus no need for a different choke tube.

Mat
Old 01-25-2005, 06:03 AM

-
Old 01-25-2005, 01:01 PM

Gorse said it pretty well...if you use buckshot you want a good percentage of pellets in a 10-12" circle...my gun patterns 8-9 which is a little rmore than 50% of the load 3" 00(15 pellets) its great for close range...if you are talking longer distances..lets say 50-100 yards than slugs is what you should definately use...my father shoots a slug gun most of the time and it shoots great he only uses 2.75 in.lightfield hybred exp...and theywork great...
Old 02-01-2005, 06:27 AM

Fraze, Go with Gorse, I shoot a 870 also and he seems to have said it right...SEE YA IN THE WOODS.. Kenny
Old 02-04-2005, 05:15 PM

Hey fraze , Welcome Aboard, I don't know if your aware of it but you can buy a 24 inch fully rifled barrel with cantaliver mount for your 870 for only $160.00 . Ithaca and Mossberg both make them for the Rem. 870 . And may i add a heck of a lot cheaper . I have the Ithica barrel on my 870 and its very accurate...It suits me . Good Luck