Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 S&W Model 60 Question >

S&W Model 60 Question

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

S&W Model 60 Question

Old 01-22-2005, 10:37 AM
Spike

Default S&W Model 60 Question

Added a Model 60 SS Chiefs .38spl with 2-1/8 barrel to my collection several years ago. I also have several other S&W's. I've always enjoy shooting this revolver it has the smoothest trigger that Ive ever used on any revolver. I'm trying to get an idea when it was made it has the pinned barrel into the frame and a combat trigger something I don't find on my Model 66, 629, or 10. In part my interest is with a Model 19 Ive been looking at to buy that has the same trigger and barrel pin but yet it looks well used the current owner tells me it came from his dad and that makes me wonder because he is in his mid 80's and his father past away in the late 60's. Well thanks for any help that comes this way. steve
Old 01-22-2005, 11:31 AM

Default RE: S&W Model 60 Question

Steve,

I can't tell you when your revolver was made, but the S&W mod.60 has been around a
long time. If memory serves correctly, the mod. 60 was the very first stainless steel
revolver made. I know when I was an LEO, back about 20yr. ago, that the models 19 and 60 were very popular. If you contact S&W I'm sure that they can give you the date of manufacture. You might also be able to get some good info. on the S&W forum. Here are some links:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/

http://www.smith-wessonforum.com/
Old 01-22-2005, 01:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

According to a few year old Gun Traders Guide the Model 60 in 38 spl was made from 1965 until 1996.. From 1996 to date the Model 60's are 38/357 mag .I have a M-60 in 38 spl I bought probably back in the mid 70's.Great little gun.This is probably not what you are looking for but at least you know what years it was made between.I also have a Model 649 Bodyguard. It's great for CCW use.

Ruger Redhawk
Old 01-22-2005, 03:22 PM
Spike

Question for Ruger-Redhawk , On your Model 60 from the mid 70's is it with the pinned barrel/frame and the combat trigger? This would help me timeline mine thanks.
Old 01-22-2005, 05:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Steve d I dug it out to see. I was very accurate on when I bought it. It was 10/75. S/N range is R1328XX. Yes it does have a pinned barrel.The Trigger is a standard S/S Trigger with the small finger grooves. As far as combat trigger I'm not sure what you're talking about.I know on the K and N frames you could get target triggers,hammers and grips.I assume on the L frames also.I've never seen a wide trigger on a J frame.That's my guess what you are talking about.Mine is the 2" barrel. They did make some 3" if I remember correctly.I'm almost 100% positive that they made some with adjustable sights.I haven't looked at a new Smith in a long time.It's doubtful I'll ever buy another one.They are nice. The quality isn't what it was 40 years ago but it's still a decent gun.I guess when Ruger's disappear I might check the Smith's back out.Being I don't see Ruger going out of the business soon,I hope S&W aren't holding their breath.

Ruger Redhawk
Old 01-25-2005, 12:25 AM
Typical Buck

Kind of off-subject, but you're right RR, they made the 60 with adjustable sights. Its still a 60, but they called it the "Chief's Target". They also made a blue 36 with adjustable sights, but its the model 50. My dad has a 60 Chief's Target and I have the 50. Neither one is any different than the standard one other than the sights. Same trigger and hammer as the standard model.