Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
35caliber guns >

35caliber guns

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

35caliber guns

Old 09-05-2002, 04:35 AM

Default 35caliber guns

i wonder sometimes why most gun companies don't come out with big 35caliber guns anymore.i think it is one of the best deer rounds ( JMHO ). i hear that alot of people don't like/not a need for the 35 caliber bullets but i hear more people wish they could get one in 35 whelen, 350rem, 358win etc.
just like the remington 7600's came out with that short run of 35whelen's and they went real quick ! that just show's them that their is a need for them..
now if this new 2003 comes out with the 358WSM maybe it will open the eye's to other companies.

what do you all think?

Old 09-05-2002, 10:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 35caliber guns

Quilly, the answer is very simple. Not enough of us buy .35 cal. rifles when they do offer them to make it profitable to chamber guns for these rounds. When push comes to shove, the corporations are looking at the bottom line-profitability. Decisions are all made by the "bean-counters", and a company cannot afford to make something that will sit on the shelf, remaining in inventory, when a different chambering would have sold!! Americans are generally wedded to smaller bore, higher velocity rifles, probably thanks to Roy Weatherby, the greatest gun SALESMAN of the 20th Century!! He won the PR war, Elmer Keith lost it!!

Keep yore powder dry!!
Old 09-05-2002, 02:05 PM

Quilly,
Eldeguello is right. So, for those of us who enjoy shooting non-mainstream calibers, we have to watch for older guns in great condition. I, myself, am rather partial to the older guns anyway. I have very few shiny new ones in the cabinet.

Old 09-05-2002, 03:11 PM

The Marlin 336 chambered in 35 Rem is one of the more popular rifles for deer hunting in this area. I have heard some folks claim it is the best all around cartridge for deer.

My Dad used to have an old Rem Model 8 in 35 that was a lot of fun too. He used to say how he could take the head off a partridge at 100 yards with that rifle.

Too many people have fallen into the "greater velocity is all that matters" crowd. Their reasoning would make my 45-70 about useless.

They have a lot to learn.