Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Thoughts on "real" knockdown power >

Thoughts on "real" knockdown power

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Thoughts on "real" knockdown power

Old 01-21-2005, 10:58 AM

Default Thoughts on "real" knockdown power

Last September, I get a guy (29 Yrs Old) in the shop wanting me to order him either a 7MM or 300 Ultra Mag because he wanted a gun that would "flatten whitetails on the spot". I don't recall what exactly he had been using, but I think it was an old 30-40 or 303. Anyway, he wanted my thoughts on the 7mm or 300 ultra. I told him rather honestly that I'd been hunting deer for round about 30 years and I've killed a bunch and that in most cases a deer will run 30-75 yards even with good hits. I've seen them drop in their tracks sure, but realistically they will go a little ways. So, we got to talking about what gun probably had the "best" knockdown power. Again, just my opinion, but I told him my dad used a 350 Remington Mag back in the 70's and 80's that I could remember dropped a bunch in their tracks. I told him if I was going to buy a rifle solely for "knockdown power" on whitetails, I'd go with a 350 or 35 Whelen with 200 or 225 grain bullets. I told him rather than buying a new ultra, I'd sell him a used Whelen at a decent price and give it a try. Well, he didn't buy the Whelen, but ordered in a new Remington 673 in 350 Remington Mag. The guy came in yesterday and was telling me what a great gun the 673 was and how it totally "flattened" two nice bucks this past season. I told him I was happy and glad to be of help, but that got me thinking about knockdown power.... if it really exists. I've used a 700 BDL in 30-06 for years and see no reason to change.... I don't mind walking the extra few yards to pick up my deer! I've seen deer shot with pretty much everything through the years and would say my vote for knockdown punch only would be the 350 Remington or 35 Whelen (taking into consideration recoil, cost, etc.). What do you all think?
Old 01-21-2005, 11:06 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: Thoughts on "real" knockdown power

Every time I shot a deer with a sluggun I have been impressed by that knockdown power. Some it has knocked them over off thier feet. But so has most guns I have taken deer with. I think no matter what you use, if its 100gr or higher and going over 2700fps, Your at a significant advantage over the deer. If the deer sees you before the shot, he will be more apt to run and not feel the shot even if you use a 416 rigby. If he is calm and eating and off balance, or taking a step, he might fall over flat.

Old 01-21-2005, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Tell him to get a .444marlin, .450Marlin, or .45-70...or maybe a .38-55 or one of the .35's you mentioned. A LOT of KO power in these rounds.

Any cartridge can make a deer fall, and as you pointed out, even on great hits with high powered cartridges, sometimes deer run off anyway. Throw a bigger bullet at them and you've got a better chance of stopping them flat out, energy or not, the taylor factor of big bullets is more likely to produce dead falls.
Old 01-21-2005, 11:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've seen deer shot with pretty much everything through the years and would say my vote for knockdown punch only would be the 350 Remington or 35 Whelen (taking into consideration recoil, cost, etc.). What do you all think?

I think you are right. I am more impressed with bigger slower bullets, than lighter faster bullets.
If you do not factor in recoil? I really love big & fast bullets for stopping game.
375-Remington Ultra Mag shooting 300-grain Nosler Partitions should work well on deer? I will find out next year if my theory is correct?
Old 01-21-2005, 01:16 PM

A lot of people want a bullet to overcome poor marksmanship or poor shot placement. Where I hunt we always add the contest of 'one shot, one kill' with each additional shot costing $100.00. When you go for clean, neck type shots you see a lot of deer stopped in their tracks. Every caliber imaginable is used on the lease, but all hunters are MARKSMAN and we truly screen all members to keep it that way.
Old 01-21-2005, 01:24 PM

I don't have enough experience with big slow bullets. Only got a 50 beowulf last fall and no chance to use on game yet.

But I know that a small super fast bullet can expand all its energy in the deer. Thats if it can get in far enough. But I've seen the 220 swift used a bunch and every deer shot with it dropped. Had fellow here that shot 220 swift and shot everyone in the flanks on purpose. Never had one run an inch.

That being said I dont' think thats ethical.

And on the big mags-- what is knockdown power really? I use the mags so I can have the power to penetrate large bones from odd angles and long ranges. If you use a mag to instantly KO one in the ribs you'll have to go to a lighter bullet and suffer the damages.

All in all I hope most of you are right and that in the thickets i just started hunting in, my 50 will KO the deer or not let them go but a little ways.

Jeff
Old 01-21-2005, 02:33 PM
Typical Buck

I totally agree with Bigcountry if the animal is aware that you are there and maybe a threat the adrenaline starts pumping and the knocking them right down may or may not happen no matter the size of the caliber. I like the 54. cal under 100yds to take the wind out of their sails right away. Any big and slow bullet at closer ranges will for sure make a bigger difference on knockdown's.

I think the first thing a person should confront is their ranges that they will be using the caliber for. If you never going to take a shot past 150 to 200yds then I wouldn't think you would ever need a fast caliber. I would opt for big and slow like a muzzleloaders, lever guns like the 45-70 or 444 marlin, and under a 100yds the 12ga slug is one chunk of lead for knocking things flat.

300yd limitation the 338win mag would be an excellent choice.

400 to 500yd limitation the faster flatter mid range calibers like the 300 win mag will certainly knock them flat if your praticed enough to make a good hit. I don't recommend guys to purchase a ultra mag class of caliber unless they are familiar with intense recoil or are will to put up with the noise of recoil reducers.
Old 01-21-2005, 02:44 PM
Typical Buck

Bulets make a big difrants on knock down. you have to figer out the best speed to expantion rule. From my group of hunters [friends family] the best round for a 3006 is a 130 get full speed and nice expation it gives lot of on spot kills.I have now swithched to a 300 win i use a 150 works very very good on deer need to go to a 165 for elk though.The 150s loose to much power and you get no pass though.

Each bulet has its own best bullet just have to check many bulets and get people to shoot with you and reload dif typs.
Old 01-21-2005, 04:20 PM
Typical Buck

I'd also go with the bigger slower calibers mentioned. Along with the mindset of the deer at the time of impact, bullet design/performance and shot-placement also play a big factor when looking for a dead fall kill.
Old 01-21-2005, 06:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have seen nothing that knocks deer flatter than the 25-06.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on "real" knockdown power

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.