Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Seen this yet? >

Seen this yet?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Seen this yet?

Old 01-19-2005, 10:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Seen this yet?

Barrel deresonator from Simms.

http://www.limbsaver.com/limbsaver/f...rrelderes.aspx

It slips over the barrel and absorbes the vibrations from the barrel as the bullet moves down the bore. It is suppose to keep the barrel from vibration so much and tighten up groups considerably.

It seems like a good idea and I can certainly see how it should work.

I may have to try one of these. MSRP is only $20 so if it doesn't work I won't be out much money.
Old 01-19-2005, 10:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Seen this yet?

I thought about something similar to that in the past, except putting a rubber pressure button between the free-floated barrel and the tip if the stock. This would be worth a try, but at the ultra high frequencies and fairly low amplitudes of the vibrations in a rifle barrel, it might not have all that much effect at all. But for $20, might be worth trying just for the heck of it.

Mike
Old 01-19-2005, 10:33 PM

I had a Swedish Mauser that might have needed one of those, shot 4" round groups, no matter what I tried. Beddin', restockin', shortenin' the barrel. nothing worked or even changed the size of the group. Gave the danged thing to my oldest grandson. I was mad at him anyway. [:@]
Old 01-20-2005, 05:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have them limbsaver buttons on all of my bows, because it works. If it works on rifles as good as it does on bows, I think we'll be seing a lot of them in the future.
Old 01-20-2005, 06:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Indeed, if they work as well on a gun as they do on a bow it would definately be worth a try.
Old 01-20-2005, 07:07 AM

Interesting idea. But for a hunter who's gun can shoot 1.25 inch groups out of the box, would it be worth having that ugly thing on the barrel? Could double as a rest in tree stand...hmmm. Don't get me wrong, I like Simms and use their products. I even have four Simms vibration absorbers under my turntable...yes they still exist.
Old 01-20-2005, 09:16 AM

if any one trys one of these please let me know if it works. i dont have $20 to trow away. but if it works it would be worth it.
Old 01-20-2005, 10:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Interesting to say the least. Might have to try one of these for the heck of it.
Old 01-20-2005, 10:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would imagine, that the position of where it rests on your barrel may change your groups also, I am just brainstorming here, not speaking from real data. I could possibly see where moving it up and down the barrel will change the way your barrel "whips" thus cause a different position of the bullet leaving your barrel. Hunting with this could be a problem, one more thing to have to remember "is my dampener in the right spot?" Just my .02 worth
Old 01-20-2005, 11:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hmmm.... when you think you had seen everything and then this comes along. Probably does a nice job quieting the shot down so the animal your shooting at won't jump the string

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.