Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Scope problem?? >

Scope problem??

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Scope problem??

Old 01-19-2005, 11:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Scope problem??

I would mount a scope on the rifle you trust, and see if the problem disappears. Good luck.
Old 01-20-2005, 03:43 PM

I did not see where you said what rings and bases you have on the rifle. I had a very simular problem with Leupold QD rings and it drove me nuts untill I found the problem. Every thing seemed tight but the half round cut is the rings were beaten out of shape from recoil I guess. New rings and everything is fine. Other then that it sounds like the scope.
Old 01-20-2005, 06:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had an experience with a Bushnell very similiar to yours. Although the impact point would change with every shot never really returning to perfect zero. This was a gun shot from sandbags on a bench rest. Replaced the scope and haven't had the problem since. Hope this helps.
Old 01-21-2005, 11:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

For a busted scope to come back on target EVER is a miracle. For it to come back OFTEN is next to impossible. In your first thread, you said yourself that after the first incidence YOU shot the rifle and it was on...sounds like operator error to me.

I'm not going to say it's a flinch necessarily, but I'd say a practice round with a few dummy rounds thrown into the mix is in order (load the gun for him and don't tell him there are dummies loaded). You'll be able to tell a lot about how he shoots by letting him THINK it's going to fire, then watch him when it doesn't.

He could also be "driving" the rifle if he is consitently shooting low. Many shooters will DRIVE the rifle forward and down after a shot in order to recover from recoil...on a surprise dummy round, this will be extremely evident and appear VERY differently than a flinch. Some shooters I have instructed have driven the muzzle down 12-14" on a non-recoiling shot. It's just habit, they expect a push, but need to recover quickly. It's not necessarily a bad habit, unless he's doing it BEFORE the shot.

If he doesn't really know how to use a scope properly, or the eye relief is not set properly for him (or he doesn't hold the rifle consistently it may be off from position to position and shooting session to session), that may also explain the odd behavior. A LOT of new shooters don't know about "shadow effects" caused by not having their eye properly positioned behind the recticule. The X-hairs are on target, but if there is a shadow on one side of the image, the bullet will run from it. If he's got a shadow all the way around, the eye relief is wrong and he would have a VERY hard time compensating for this error. If he ever mounted the rifle properly, then he may shoot well that time.

I'm not saying it ISN'T the scope, but I've never known a busted scope to come back on that frequently...it could be possible if the recticle is sliding back and forth in the tube, but I doubt that's the case in this instance...the cross hairs would totally disappear occasionally because they would slide out of focus.

Really, you need to have someone else shoot the gun. You already proved it's his fault once, but didn't realize it because you KNOW the gun or scope is at fault. If it shoots well for you and not for him...it's pretty clear.

By the way, to drop 18" at 50yrds, you've only got to drop your muzzle about 0.3-0.4" from your line of sight. 18" at 50yrds sounds like a huge miss, but remember, that's only half a yard at 50yrds, or 1.5ft at 150ft. The angle of deviation for 18" at 50ft is only about 0.57 degrees. At the muzzle, that translates into only around 1/3".
Old 01-21-2005, 07:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

Check the action screws good. I have seen scopes go bad but never return to Zero again. It could be the action screws are loose. On a Remington that would mean its not pulled down on the pressure point near the end of the forend. cut a little piece of match book cover and slip it in on the pressure point and tighten the screwa again. That might fix it.
Old 01-21-2005, 09:36 PM

Try shooting several different kinds of ammo and various bullet weights before you change scopes. Gun just may not like those loads much!
Old 01-22-2005, 10:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I see allot of good suggestions here.It sounds like a defective scope to me.Universal scopes made in good old Hialeah weren't the best quality.I'm sure they were made by Universal Firearms of Hialeah FL. They made allot of M1 Carbines.We sold hundreds of their Rifles and their little Enforcers if I remember they were called. They were a 30 MI carbine made as a pistol.I lived not far from where they were located and work for a gun shop in Hialeah.As far as I know they are no more.I would suggest mounting a decent scope on that Remington.I'll be willing to bet my bottom dollar the scope is the culprit.Or take that scope in question and mount it on a rifle you know to have constant accuracy.If it proves to be the scope there would be not point trying to have it repaired.Since Universal is gone it would cost more trying to repair it.Chalk it up to experience and buy a better quality scope next time.The rifle can only be as accurate as the shooter,scope and ammo will allow.Don't take me wrong. Way back I bought cheaper scopes.I found you get what you pay for in optics.

Ruger Redhawk