Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 which scope for my 270 win >

which scope for my 270 win

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

which scope for my 270 win

Old 01-16-2005, 09:09 PM

Default which scope for my 270 win

I just bought a new Remington 700 BDL in 270 win. WHich scope would be good on this gun with see through sights. I want to shoot to 350 yds or so. My price range is up to $120. i am leaning to the Simmons Prohunter but i dont know. suggestions are appreciated
Old 01-16-2005, 09:32 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: which scope for my 270 win

if you are set on a Simmons I would strongly suggest you bump up to an AETEC. You can get one off of eBay for about 120ish. Personally I see no point in putting see through sights on a .270. The AETEC has a low power setting of 2.8x. I would go that route if I was in your shoes.
Old 01-16-2005, 09:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

WHich scope would be good on this gun with see through sights
If you are referring to see through mounts my advice to to forget about them.They mount the scope far too high for proper cheek position on the stock.They are also quite flimsy and easily knocked off zero compared to standard mounts.
Old 01-16-2005, 10:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yes, as the others have said forget about the see thru mounts. They are very weak and serve no real purpose.

I also agree with reddish about the Atec. I have had one for about 8 years or so and have ahd zero problems with it. It is plenty clear and bright for most hunters eyes.

I know it is hard to do but if you can save up a little more you can make a huge step up to a Burris Fulfield II. For just under $200 you can have a scope that compares with the Leupold VX-III, Pentax, Nikon Monarch, Weaver Grand slam. It would be worth the little extra waiting time and money.
Old 01-17-2005, 07:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have to stick up for the Pro-Hunter Simmons. However this would be just the 6X. The straight 6X. I don't know anything about the variables in this cheaper line but the fixed power ones are very sturdy and clear. I have had a straight 6X on my 7600 Remington 30-06 for several seasons. It has worked perfect and is clear as hell. I am totally sold also on the Aetec. You can't buy a better scope under 150 dollars than the Aetec. I have tried about all of the cheaper scopes and The Aetec is at the top of the heap. You should be able to find one for about 140 if you shop around on line. I think they make the Pro Hunter in a straight 4X as well. You can't go wrong with either. The 6X is about 65-75 dollars.
Old 01-17-2005, 11:01 PM

Check out the Nikon Pro Staff. It is about $149. I had one on my .270 before I sold the rifle and it was nice.
Old 01-18-2005, 07:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

Kind of forgot about that one (pro staff) They are a very good scope as well. Nothing fancy but tough and reliable.
Old 01-18-2005, 09:03 AM
Typical Buck

Don't buy the see thru mounts. They are junk. As for scopes the Bushnell Legend 3-9X40 for around $125 is a good scope. From what I can tell it is the Elite 3200 without the Rainguard coating. You might also try ebay and find a good deal on a used scope or local gun shows if you have them in your area. The best thing to do is not get in a hurry and save as much as possible. A good scope is worth every penny. Their isn't much worse than investing in a cheap scope only to have to replace it in the future on something much better. In scopes you get what you pay for.
Old 01-18-2005, 09:09 AM
Spike

If you want to bump up to an AETEC, which I like as a low end scope, call NATCHEZ Shooters Supply or hit their web site (I think it is NSS.com) They typically have rebuilt AETEC's for around $95.00. ID I recall, they sell new ones for about $150.00.
Old 01-18-2005, 11:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Like the others have said, forget the see through design. As far as scopes are concerned I'm a diehard Leupold fan. However, after reading the praises of the Bushnell Elite 3200 on this site and others, I decided to try one myself. I must say that I am very pleased with the brightness and clarity of the Bushnell. Natchez Shooter Supply had the Elite 3200's on sale for less than 160 bucks but you must call their 800# and ask for a Bushnell price request. The Optic Zone also has some good prices too and they seem to be very friendly to deal with.

www.natchezss.com

www.theopticzone.com

Quick Reply: which scope for my 270 win

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.