Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Most accurate 1911 .45 acp >

Most accurate 1911 .45 acp

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Most accurate 1911 .45 acp

Old 01-11-2005, 04:09 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Most accurate 1911 .45 acp

No Mercy is correct when he says that Kimber and any other production guns won't match the accuracy of most custom guns out there. But to me the difference isn't that noticeable, you would have to be one hell of a shot to notice a difference with open sights. My point is the Kimber will shoot more than accurate for most sports, other than bullseye, which is a totally different game, you could always have your Kimber modified to play... The Bullseye shooters use various types of optics as well, so most guns (even custom guns) will require some work to be a good bullseye gun. There are a few custom gun makers whom make specific bullseye guns, but I digress.

Your Kimber will shoot as reliably as most custom guns out there as well.

I completely disagree with greg though... I think most people are very displeased with the quality of the most recent colt 1911's... It is a shame, because Colt and 1911 should be synonomous, but that just isn't the case anymore... They are also severly overpriced.

The Sig GSR is a great concept, take the best the 1911 world has to offer in the way of parts an assemble them to make the finest 1911 pistol possible. I have heard some complaints about reliabilty and they aren't selling like hotcakes. I would definately look at them, but they are the new kid on the block without much for a track record. Much like when the Kimber Series II came out... It might take a while to work the kinks out.

If I were you I would stick with a Kimber or Springfield... No Mercy is right when he says you will fall in love with them and probably end up with a custom one some day, but most 1911 owners can't have just one gun.

As for the Eclipse Target, I think that is a good gun, but lacks their best trigger, ambi safety and a mag well, if those are important to you you might want to look at the team match, gold match, or stainless gold match.

Also check out the 1911 forum... www.1911forum.com
Old 01-11-2005, 07:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

One of the Old Series 70 Colt "Gold Cups".That's if you can find one.

Ruger Redhawk
Old 01-11-2005, 10:32 PM

I am looking at getting my first pistol, and I am positive that I want a 1911. I was looking at some different brands online, and talking to my local gunsmith, and found the least expensive is a Rock Island for a little over $300. I know "least expensive" translates into cheap in this case. But with the difference in price, over $400, could I drop that into the cheaper pistol and end up with a gun that is just about as good? Just wondering, because if I can do it that way it would be nice to be able to improve the gun in installments, since Im in school and funds are not that plentiful. Plus it would allow me to support my local gunsmith who doesnt get much businessaround here, I live in a shotgun only state so no one has anything worked on that much. Just looking for any opinions on the idea.
Old 01-12-2005, 12:45 AM

But with the difference in price, over $400, could I drop that into the cheaper pistol and end up with a gun that is just about as good? Just wondering, because if I can do it that way it would be nice to be able to improve the gun in installments, since Im in school and funds are not that plentiful. Plus it would allow me to support my local gunsmith who doesnt get much businessaround here, I live in a shotgun only state so no one has anything worked on that much. Just looking for any opinions on the idea.
You get what you pay for, especially with friearms, Ive never heard of rock island so i cant say much about them, if your set on 1911's look into the Springfield GI. This is the same gun issued to troops in ww1 with some more modern parts. It somes with the older style sights but that could be fixed easily by your gunsmith,get a set of cheap hogue(or other) grips, drop a match barrel and a custom trigger job in it and you have a very sweet pistol for the money that was spent, and the match barrel isnt really that important unless your looking into competition. I have shot a couple of these pistols and they are accurate even with the factory sights. Deffinately look into the springfield for the money you are looking to spend, cant beat almost 50 years of dependability.

Oh yeah and brand new your looking at right at $400 maybe $425 if that.
Old 01-12-2005, 05:53 AM
Typical Buck

You did the right thing in talking to your local gun smith... He would tell you which gun he likes to work with. As for the Rock Island Armory gun... I have heard gun things about it, like No Mercy said the GI spec gun from Springfield is a very good deal. I would also think about coming up with $200 or so more to afford the basic line of Springfields, Kimbers, Dan Wessons, etc. You will be happy you did later, that $200 speant initially will save you a lot more if you plan to modify your gun later. But all of them are still 1911's so you can't go wrong. Another gun to ask your guy about is the Thompson/Kahr, I don't know much about it, but it looks like a good gun for the price.
Old 01-12-2005, 06:33 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]