HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Most acurate? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/85696-most-acurate.html)

primetimearcher 01-08-2005 07:09 PM

Most acurate?

What is more acurate a bolt or simi?(scoped)

Judson 01-08-2005 08:12 PM

RE: Most acurate?

A GOOD Bolt, hands down!!!! I have a National Match M1A and the Boil rifles I build will out shoot it every time! Do not get me wrong the M1A is very accurate but not on a par with a good bolt action though it will hold its own against most factory rifles. Most other autos are rather poor in the accuracy and reliability department with the 7400 far in the rear for standard rifle cartridges and the Browning up front.

driftrider 01-08-2005 09:15 PM

You really can't generalize that much, because there are very accurate examples of both action types that are readily available, and there are far too many variables to compare one action type to another in general.

For instance, a Remington 7400 semi-auto rifle is probably not going to be as accurate as an M700 bolt-action out of the box with most types of ammo, but a Les Baer National Match will put most factory M700's (including the varminters) to shame from a bench rest, but is hardly a big game rifle.

Instead of saying that a bolt-action is more accurate than a semi-auto, it's more accurate to say that it is easier and cheaper to make a bolt-action accurate than it is to make a semi-auto shoot well.

Mike

newguy23 01-08-2005 09:35 PM

There was an article in rifleshooter magazine "The All-American AR" which discusses this a little bit. Most Semi-autos are inherantly more accurate than most bolt actions was the gist... Like he said though, it is kind of comparing apples to oranges... When you start looking at them under a microscope, stuff tends to become skewed.

Anyway, look at it this way, The best Rifles are measured at a distance of at least 300 feet. All exceptionally accurate guns can make a ragged one hole at 100 yards.

"How's that (the AR) compare to a bolt action rifle? A thoughtfully constructed AR15 can go medieval on an average factory-made varmint rifle or tactical-type bolt gun. Purpose-built competition bolt guns, though, do better."

AR's will shoot under a minute of angle at 600 yards.
bolts will shoot under three inches vertical at 600 yards.

Briman 01-09-2005 10:46 AM

For the money, a bolt gun will be more accurate in general.

Most Semi-autos are inherantly more accurate than most bolt actions was the gist
Gun writers get paid to print horsepoop.
when it comes down to it, a semiauto is nothing but a bolt action with a lot more mechanical complexity. To get it to shoot as well as a bolt gun, you need to make everything work perfectly, and that costs $$.

Nomercy 01-09-2005 11:15 AM

If the M-1A, Garands, AR-15's, or any other semiauto were more accurate than bolt guns, you'd see guys using them in 1000yrd competitions instead of bolt guns.

It ain't going to happen. Yes, you can find some autoloaders that are more accurate than some bolt guns, it's much more likely in factory rifles that the gap is closer between the two, but when it comes to the upper escelon of accuracy, there's just no competition. I've shot several garand matches and a few open bench rest matches with M-1A, of course some AR matches, and the accuracy level just doesn't touch the benchrest shooters.

newguy23 01-09-2005 01:34 PM

Look... I love my bolts, but can you tell me the bolt which guarantees accuracy of 3/4 moa... No... My RRA AR guarantees it and produces it with various ammo.

We are not talking about custom built bolt guns. For example the Rem 600 PSS will shoot great, but great is defined by 1 moa, my AR will out shoot it by 25%. If you have a bolt which shoots under 1 moa you should be very pleased, but that same does not go for many of the quality semi-autos. I am not talking about stock army rifles here.

Apparently the "experts" are wrong, you guys should read the article in Petersen's RifleShooter November/December 2003.

stubblejumper 01-09-2005 01:44 PM

but can you tell me the bolt which guarantees accuracy of 3/4 moa
H-S Precision guarantees 1/2" groups at 100 yards for their rifles.

newguy23 01-09-2005 01:46 PM

If the M-1A, Garands, AR-15's, or any other semiauto were more accurate than bolt guns, you'd see guys using them in 1000yrd competitions instead of bolt guns.

It ain't going to happen. Yes, you can find some autoloaders that are more accurate than some bolt guns, it's much more likely in factory rifles that the gap is closer between the two, but when it comes to the upper escelon of accuracy, there's just no competition. I've shot several garand matches and a few open bench rest matches with M-1A, of course some AR matches, and the accuracy level just doesn't touch the benchrest shooters.
Actually from the same article written by Glen Zediker (someone more credible than any of us).

"The AR15 hasn't taken over, but it's taken its place in competitive shooting, and the AR15 and its bigger brothers have made more than inroads in the NRA High Power Rivle events. Some seem to think they are redefining the route and the map itself..."

By the way I have many, many bolts and got my first AR for Christmas based on such rave reviews from people I would consider primarily "bolt" people.

My new AR doesn't compare to any of my bolts in terms of accuracy, it is exteremely better. My bolts include Rem 700, Sako 75, Browning A-bolts, Ruger M77's, etc. My most accurate bolt I have is my Sako 75 in 30-06 it can consistently make sub inch 100 yard groups. Other than that none of my others will consisitently make 100 yard 5-shot groups of 1" with most ammo.

newguy23 01-09-2005 01:51 PM

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

H-S Precision guarantees 1/2" groups at 100 yards for their rifles.

Ummm... Don't those rifles start at 2 grand and most run more around 3 grand... I wouldn't call that your average bolt rifle...

[/quote]
A thoughtfully constructed AR15 can go medieval on an average factory-made varmint rifle or tactical-type bolt gun. Purpose-built competition bolt guns, though, do better."
[/quote]

Let's put a stipulation on this, tell me a bolt under $1,000 that will guarantee a 3/4 moa.