Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Most acurate? >

Most acurate?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Most acurate?

Old 01-09-2005, 10:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Most acurate?

'ere ya go... with money left over for some nice glass

http://www.remington.com/firearms/centerfire/700vls.htm
Old 01-10-2005, 05:53 AM
Typical Buck

A ruger that shoots sub moa is an exception and not the rule... I have cycled through 3 M77's and the best they would make a 5 shot group would be approximately 1.25 inches at 100 yards.

As for the 700 to make it shoot that well, you would have to free-float the barrel and drop in a decent trigger, and that might only get you to 3/4 moa, if you want to do better than that you might have to replace the barrel.

By the way, many bolt action guns offer guarantees. Take Sako for example... Why can they offer it, because they make a gun with more stringent quality control than their american counterparts (forget the whole blow-up thing).
Old 01-10-2005, 05:12 PM

Sometimes, it ain't the arrow, it's the Indian

I've got an unproven theory (better known as a sneekin suspicion), that there are a whole lot more Sub MOA rifles out there than there are Sub MOA shooters.

-------------------------

I primarilly use my BAR in 30-06 for hunting, but I do enjoy spending time at the range as well. Is my BAR as accurate as bolt action rifles........who knows, and who cares. It's a beautiful gun, I'd wanted one since I was a kid and it's way more than accurate enough for hunting. It's no slouch at the range either...LOL Here's a sample of 100Yd groups shot with this gun.

180Grn Game Kings (Dark squares 1/2")

165Grn Partitions........................................ ................180Grn Ballistic Tips

I bought this gun used this past spring for $650. The only thing I've done to it is get the trigger worked on. It now has a smooth, crisp 2 1/2Lb pull. These are the only three bullets I've tried so far. All are handloads on top of IMR4831 or IMR4350.

firstshot
Old 01-10-2005, 06:50 PM

One thing you have to keep in mind is that we have to keep things in perspective. I build rifles for a living and all will shoot under half inch groups and all cost over $4000.
I build custom stocked, (wood stocks) rifles mostly dangerous game rifles and for the most part bolt guns. These rifles will blow the socks off a factory gun but for the price they should. You can not compair a custom match built M1A, AR 15 or rifles like that to a 7400 or BAR, nor a 700 Remington or Ruger 77. Custom is like blue printing an engine, as close to perfect as is possable. A match AR will out shoot most bolt guns from the factory, on the other hand ever see a bench rest semi? Along with this who wants to try a rapid fire string with a bolt. Both types of actions have their place but we have to keep in sight the fact that there are factory and custom guns of both action types
and to compair a custom to a factory job is not a fair comparison.
Old 01-30-2005, 01:54 PM
Typical Buck

I just wanted to revisit this topic since there were two articles this past month in two very prominent magazines...

In American Rifleman "The 2004 NRA Nation Matches at Camp Perry"

The High Power Rifle was won by Norman Houle whom used a modified AR-15
The Long Range Rifle was won by David Tubb whom used a modified AR-15 (6.5 mm)

In Guns and Ammo "The Accurate AR"
"The AR-15/M16 now dominates High Power Service Rifle competitition."
It discusses how the AR-15 is more accurate the bolt rifles.

CASE CLOSED: SEMI-AUTO's HAVE THE CAPABILITY OF BEING MORE ACCURATE THAN BOLT RIFLES!!!!!

I LOVE being right!!!!!!!
Old 01-30-2005, 03:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

The High Power Rifle was won by Norman Houle whom used a modified AR-15
The Long Range Rifle was won by David Tubb whom used a modified AR-15 (6.5 mm)

In Guns and Ammo "The Accurate AR"
"The AR-15/M16 now dominates High Power Service Rifle competitition
So what rifles currently hold the benchrest and 1000 yard records?
Old 01-30-2005, 03:22 PM
Typical Buck

not sure... Just that obviously the semi's are dominating the competitions... The "records" could be a freak/lucky day... What the pro's use is obviously the best equipment.. Why else would they use them... Do we need to continue this discussion anymore or can we admit I was right and move on
Old 01-30-2005, 03:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Since you never mentioned benchrest and 1000 yard competitions which are the ultimate tests of accuracy,you have proven nothing.
Old 01-30-2005, 03:35 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

Since you never mentioned benchrest and 1000 yard competitions which are the ultimate tests of accuracy,you have proven nothing.
You OBVIOUSLY aren't paying attention...

The high powered rifle is up to 600 yards!
The long range rifle is shot at 800,900, and 1,000!!! I have proven EVERYTHING NOW!!!!

I am right... Bow out of this discussion now...
Old 01-30-2005, 03:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

The AR-15/M16 now dominates High Power Service Rifle competitition

This quote is taken from the high power service rifle rules.

Equipment
Rifle: Rifles to be used in High Power Rifle competition must be equipped with metallic sights (Some long range, 1000-yard matches allow the use of "any sights"), should be capable of holding at least 5 rounds of ammunition and should be adapted to rapid reloading. Tournament programs often group competitions into two divisions, Service Rifle and Match Rifle. The rifles currently defined as "Service Rifles" include the M1, M14, M16 and their commercial equivalents. Winchester and Remington have made their Model 70 and Model 40X rifles in "match" versions and custom gunsmiths have made up match rifles on many military and commercial actions. 1903 and 1903-A3 Springfield, 1917 Enfields and pre-war Winchester Model 70 sporters in .30-06 are all equipped with clip slots for rapid reloading. The most suitable rear sights are aperture or "peep" with reliable, repeatable 1/2 minute (or finer) adjustments. Front sights should be of either the post or aperture type.

Do you notice that only metallic sights are allowed except for a few 1000 yard matches?Do you also notice that rapid fire and reloading are important?Therefore the ultimate accuracy can't be achieved in these events without telescopic sights and the speed factor also hinders accuracy.Nice try though.

Quick Reply: Most acurate?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.