Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Anyone have a 257 Roberts Ackley??? >

Anyone have a 257 Roberts Ackley???

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Anyone have a 257 Roberts Ackley???

Old 01-08-2005, 04:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Anyone have a 257 Roberts Ackley???

Just wondering if anybody has owned or does own a 257 roberts ackley Improved. I am pondering the purchase of a Ruger Ultra Light in the Roberts and have access to the chamber reamers to get it ackleyed.
Old 01-08-2005, 05:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Anyone have a 257 Roberts Ackley???

I have a 257 AI that I built from a 98 Mauser action.
I get close to 25-06 velosity
I would shoot the rifle before it is rechambered ,a poor shooting 257 Roberts will be a poor shooting 257 AI
I now load Swift 120 gr A- frame bullets ( dealer sold them at cost ,someone ordered them and never picked them up) with IMR 4350
I have used the Nosler 115 gr BT ,with great results
This year 2 , 1 shot kills on deer 150 and 225 yds
In the spring it becomes my heavey varmit gun with 85 gr Nosler BT's
Best of luck and post results
Old 01-08-2005, 06:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am pondering the purchase of a Ruger Ultra Light in the Roberts and have access to the chamber reamers to get it ackleyed.
From what I understand the conversion won't be as easy as just turning a reamer in the chamber. I think you have to set the barrel back a bit and then recut the chamber.
Old 01-08-2005, 08:18 PM

All the .257 AI I have done are a simple rechambering job but the best way to do it is to use a sized case as a go gauge and the regular go gauge as a no- go. You can do it the "normal" way but then new cases will not head space as well and case lose with fire forming may be high unless you use a fire forming load and seat the bullets tight into the lands, watch the pressures if you go this way.
Old 01-09-2005, 07:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Since it is just a shoulder alteration, I would think that you wouldnt have to set the barrel back, seems to me that you'd have a lot more work than necessary if you did that, but I am no gunsmith.
Old 01-10-2005, 08:04 AM
Typical Buck

I would be hesitant to rechamber a Ruger ultra light. I got into this when i bought my Roberts. I first looked at the Standard model 77. It's a short action. With the length of the Roberts case I would look for a long action. You will not be able to get the bullet anywhere near the lands in a short action. This will not allow you to change bullet seating depth when you are looking for accuracy. My Roberts is on a Rem 700 long action you end up with more magazine length than you need but I can place my bullets .010 off the lands and still have room in the mag. In a short action you can only seat the bullets as long as the mag will allow. Also, the Ruger ultra light is known to have accuracy problems out of its thin barrel.
Old 01-10-2005, 05:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

I wouldnt think that accuracy would suffer with light shooting...........only extended periods at the bench...thats also an interesting point about the action length...for me it would not fir the bill for the roberts for me to get it in a long action, seems like the Ruger UL would shoot it well...
Old 01-11-2005, 11:27 AM

My brother has one, has had it for many years so I will not be able to recall any of the numerical detail. It is liked very well, and has brought many deer home over the years by his son.

Another similar Improved offerring to consider would be the 250-3000 AI. Not in factory offerrings, but then there would be a great reason to order a custom. The performance is nearly identical with lesser powder charges.