Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 slugs or buckshot? >

slugs or buckshot?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

slugs or buckshot?

Old 01-10-2005, 06:52 PM

Default RE: slugs or buckshot?

Big country,

I always wait for hte best shot possible and i tend to pass on more than half the deer i see just for that reason...if one comes running by and i feel confident with the shot and its in my range and broadside then sometimes ill take it sometimes i wont...it all depends on the situation...i dont want you to get teh impression that i go running around shooting at everything i see in range or not..its nothing liek that...i would much rather watch a deer walking around in the woods from high up in a stand with my heart pounding waiting for it to turn broadside for that shot but osmetimes that not always how it happens...i kno people can be hard on other in this side but i just saw it as though i was stating my opinion about the topic...to each his own...ill be hititn the woods tomorrow looking for 1 more deer to make some jerky out of for the winter...
Old 01-10-2005, 09:28 PM

Well, for me... I have 1 shotgun, my browning bps... no scope. I feel more confident taking a 40-50 yard shot with buckshot than a slug only because at 40+ yards that big old bead, is tough to put it right on the vitals. At that range the bead covers a pretty big area... my gun patterns pretty well with buckshot and i've never had a problem with it at 40-50 yards. I can see how you might argue argue about damaging a bit more meat with buckshot, but thats the only arguement i can see against using buckshot under 50 yards. Pattern your gun with a few different loads and chokes and i think you'll agree. I hunt some pretty dense woods here in michigan, therefore i rarely get a shot past 40 yards. I guess if i was taking shots out to 100 yards with a shotgun, i'd have to invest in a scope and try out some slugs... until then, I'll stick with my OO buck. Make sure you match Your weapon and ammo to Your hunting conditions... not these guys that think your going to take 200 yard shots on a regular basis. It's nice to have that kind of range, but it may not be needed for Your type of hunting.

Good Luck
Old 01-11-2005, 06:49 AM
bigcountry

I understand and appologize NJ. I guess I did get that impression. I guess with the only experience with 00 had been a bad one, and then watching a few yahoos popping at deer with it, I kinda put you and other 00 shooters in that group unfairly. Like I said, if it works, I can't argue with results. I just never understood why I got such poor penetration at 40 yards on sika deer.

Old 01-11-2005, 10:11 AM

-
Old 01-11-2005, 01:07 PM

no not me.
Old 01-11-2005, 01:38 PM
Fork Horn

wow. when i did this post i would guess i would get about ten responces. but it seemed to be an argument. I probally will be using a slug form what i have read. 12 gauge slugs have 1 1/2 and i normally shoot 1 1/8. I was wondering about teh recoil. i would liek to know experiences. i haev looked at chuck haws page. if memory servers me right it is 23 and 42 or something in that vicinity. just can anyone tell me how much more felt recoil there is between a slug and birdshot?
Old 01-11-2005, 03:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I vote no on buckshot past 50 yards.

When I was a kid here in Alabama almost everyone hunted deer with dogs and shotguns with buckshot where the most common firearm in the woods. I have used it to kill many deer in my early days. Buckshot is indeed lethal at short range (0-40 yards) but it runs out of steam very very fast. Yes I have seen deer killed out past 50 yards but I have seen a lot lost at that distance too. 75 yards? Thats ridiculously irresponcible with any type of buckshot or choke combination. You would be lucky to put one pellet in a deer at that distance and even then you would have little to no control over where that pellet hit them or how much it penetrated. I've seen several shotguns that would shoot buckshot so well that they would put all 20 pellets from a number 1 buckshot shell in the bottem of an oil case box at 40 yards but even the people who owned those guns would never have taken a 75 yard shot.
Old 01-11-2005, 04:52 PM

Big country..not a problem i saw where you were coming from but i did not want to be placed in that group...if i knew i would be taking shots over 50 yards frequently i would vote no for buckshot...without a doubt...from experience i have seen it kill over 50 yards but not comparable to a slug...under 50 yards its great i shot a nice doe tonight with buckshot...had some problems gettin up the tree with the wet slippery weather but the deer were moving...passed 2 others by and took this one around 4 15...23 yard shot and it folded right there...so my vote for a frequent shot over 50 yards with buckshot is no...
Old 01-11-2005, 05:08 PM

-
Old 01-11-2005, 05:29 PM

Redsox.

Gorse pretty much covered it all...what type of semi do you use...i used to shoot the 11-87 premier and my father still does sometimes...worked great with a fullchoke and 3" 00 copper plated...modified worked well also...the reason why i use 3" is for the extra few pellets...if you take your time and pattern it well you should have no problem...my father also uses a slug gun..rifled out with a nice scope...he lieks it and is accurate out to a hundred yards or so...it was right on at 100 i think and he had the group touching each other...so whatever way you choose you should be ok..depends on the area and shot distance...