Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 slugs or buckshot? >

slugs or buckshot?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

slugs or buckshot?

Old 01-10-2005, 08:26 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: slugs or buckshot?

NJ Deer instead of pop shooting deer, why not actual hunt the deer. Have some patience and wait for your shot instead of taking a chance? Just a opinion and its your deer and really ain't none of my business. Again, I am shocked the ethics nazi's ain't here screamin and hollering.

Old 01-10-2005, 08:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Man this debate is heated . I grew up hunting deer in NJ where Buckshot at the time was the only ammunition legal for deer. When they legalized slugs I used Brennekes and Federal and some Remington slug . I never lost a deer to buckshot as a matter of fact most if not all folded conveniently on the spot. I never shot at something past 40-50 yards because I hunted some dense woods. Using slugs deer usually made their little death run and died as well only one in fact dropped on the spot, the gun had greater range and it was scoped as well . I wish guys would stop inferring that buckshot does not perform well . If you take the time to pattern it and if the gun has the right choke it is extremely effective.
Old 01-10-2005, 09:35 AM
bigcountry

Hey oldelk, I believe ya. Sort of. I believe the deer you shot, did go down, but sure wouldn't say its the rule. I mean, what would you say if you tried it and it performed very poorly? You would report it as I and others have. Sure, I gave up on that very promply. Maybe didn't give it a chance. But your only one of a few that I know had it work worth a darn. And also, most 00 shooters I have seen, are jump shooters. Which I really don't respect as hunting. Nothing wrong with gettin gyour table fair. But I would rather hunt the deer. Usually I notice this type of hunting, you can really tear up a deer. Now I don't mind tearing up a shoulder. Thats for sure. But tearing up the precious backstrap is out of the question for me at least.

Old 01-10-2005, 09:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

BC actually guys that complain about bloodshot meat when using ballistic tips have never seen a deers chest cavity when hit with buckshot. Some were really gruesome. Yes and there were plenty of yahoos that shot deer at ridiculous ranges with their buckshot and there were probably lots of deer limping around after the season with one or 2 pellets in a non vital area. I can't condone that behavior but it seems that one runs across the same yahoo(s) mindset whether its buckshot,slug,rifle,pistol,black powder or archery equipment in their hands.
Old 01-10-2005, 11:09 AM

man!! you guys dont know? deer now adays where bullet proof vest with steel plates on there sides. you all better leave them shotguns at home and go buy a super ultra magnums or those deer will just laugh at you as they runaway!
Old 01-10-2005, 11:19 AM
bigcountry

Right, thats a real useful post.

Old 01-10-2005, 11:27 AM

just trying to lighten the mood around here. what nobody likes jokes any more?[8D]
Old 01-10-2005, 11:43 AM
bigcountry

Your right.

Old 01-10-2005, 01:28 PM

Big country,

I am not arguing that slugs are stronger than buckshot...and i do not pop shoot all my deer...and now because i stated that i have shot deer running i am an unethical hunter...if i for once thought i was wounding deer and losing them due to a non lethal shot from buckshot i would switch in an instant...i was not argueing for or against anyone just stating that i use buckshot for the area i hunt and i likeitthe 2 deer that i shot over 60 with buckshot was due to the fact that i did not judge teh distance correctly...both deer by the way folded up on the spot...take it for what you want but i will not sit here and argue over this...the man asked slugs or buckshot and i replied with my opinion...you are entitled to your opinion and i will nit sit here and degrate you on the way you hunt...it took me hours to pattern my gun and im sure many people on this board have experienced the same...oldelkseems to know where i am coming from...i have nothing against you big country but by no means do i "not hunt for my deer"
Old 01-10-2005, 01:33 PM
bigcountry

stated that i have shot deer running i am an unethical hunter
Oh no, I won't judge you for it. I am just shocked the ethics nazis on here didn't police ya. If you haven't noticed they are hard on people for alot less. Results don't matter to them much. I was just curious on why not wait for ya shot was all. I don't understand it, but it ain't for me to understand. Hunt on man. If your throwing chairs at the deer and its working, do it.

Quick Reply: slugs or buckshot?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.