Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Best 40 S&W target pistol? >

Best 40 S&W target pistol?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Best 40 S&W target pistol?

Old 01-03-2005, 09:06 PM

Default Best 40 S&W target pistol?

I'm looking for recommendations for the super accurate single-action full-size 40. I hear the CZ 75B is great, but I also like the Kimbers chambered in 40 S&W a lot. (I love my Para 1911, but I've been told that the 1911 design has an inherently slow lock-up time... so maybe it's not the best for pure accuracy (?)

- Aaron
Old 01-04-2005, 03:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Best 40 S&W target pistol?

40 isnt really a favored choice for accuracy and target shooting especially with the lack of bullets designed for pin point accuracy, Most target shooters use 45 acp 38 super and 38 special because of the higher availability and diversity of match grade ammunition. In steel shooting competitions the 38 super is a highly favored gun but alot of people are starting to use 40's because they seem to knock over the plates easier even if you hit low or just nick the plate. Alot use 45's but some feel the 45 has to much recoil. If you want a great single action for accuracy Id go with a 1911 style alot of companies make them in 40 smith. I dont understand what lock up would have to do with accuracy?? The 1911 design is the first choice of most target shooters.
Old 01-04-2005, 05:22 AM
Typical Buck

The 1911's have slow lockup time... Bull honkey... That is what fans of the wonder-nines say... Don't be disuaded from the great 1911... Desert Wolf is right... You won't find really any .40's on the target line. 45 ACP is by far the most common, but the 38 Super is coming on... In the "fast" shooting competition some people shoot their 1911's chambered in 9mm... Kimber makes one and STI makes a bunch chambered in 9mm. To me that defeats the purpose of a 1911, I guess they just want less recoil.
Old 01-04-2005, 05:23 AM
Typical Buck

Oh yeah... 1911's are THE best for accuracy... Hands down... No arguments accepted (other than single shot bolt action pistols).
Old 01-04-2005, 08:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I guess they just want less recoil.
Most competitive target shooters I know use 45's but also reload, To get lower recoil they just tone their loads down a bit with lighter bullets and smaller powder charges, The guys out there using 38 supers and 9mm's more then likely dont roll their own ammo. If you dont reload or dont ever want to reload Id say go with a 38 super, But if you are dead set on a 40 smith then deffinately get a 1911 frame. I'm with new guy when i think of a 1911, 45 acp comes to mind and a 1911 in other calibers i feel defeats the purpose too. But to each his own.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

For out of the box accuracy in a .40, though not a single action, I would go with a Sig.

If you want a pure single action, the 1911 is pretty much the only game in town- and better to get it in .45.

I think the reason for the popularity of the 38 Super is for people who want to shoot IPSC Majr caliber category but want less recoil for faster follow up shots- same goes for plate shooting. Its possible to load 9mm to make major power factor, but it isn't allowed in America for competition, so competitors use 9x23 or 38 supers.

Kimber makes one and STI makes a bunch chambered in 9mm. To me that defeats the purpose of a 1911, I guess they just want less recoil.
I'd love to have a 1911 in 9mm- the ammo costs only half as much as .45 ammo so one can practice with the same type of gun they shoot their .45 in competition with, for much cheaper. I do reload .45ACP, but If I can get 9mm for $10/100 its not worth my time to reload if I just want to shoot.
Old 01-05-2005, 06:08 AM
Typical Buck

good point Briman... Something just pains me to see the 1911 chambered in anything other than 45 ACP... But 9mm is about half the price... It also makes a nice race gun (IPSC, etc.). I actually thought about getting a 10mm for hunting!

If you do want to shoot your 1911 even cheaper you could get a .22 conversion. From what I heard some of the conversions are super accurate.
Old 01-05-2005, 09:52 AM

I have the Kimber .22 conversion, it is accurate and functions perfectly. I do use it on a Kimber frame but Kimber says they will function just as well on any standard 1911 frame. If anyone is really wondering let me know, I have a springfield 1911 that I can try it out on, in fact I ought to just put the conversion on the Springfield and leave it there. I stopped using the Springfield after getting hooked on the Kimbers.
Old 01-05-2005, 02:09 PM
Fork Horn

Have you looked at the Glock 35? I don't have any experience with it, but I know that it was designed for competition shooting. It might be worth a look if you are not anti-Glock.

Spud
Old 01-05-2005, 02:22 PM

ORIGINAL: spuddog

Have you looked at the Glock 35? I don't have any experience with it, but I know that it was designed for competition shooting. It might be worth a look if you are not anti-Glock.

Spud
I actually have a Glock 35. It's a 3.78" .45... fun to mess around with, but it seems like more of a combat gun.
I'm very happy with my Para (the new PXT SSP single stack .45) And I'd be happy to stick with the 1911 for my next gun if there's nothing inherently better out there that I've missed... I don't remember who exactly, but it was a gun smith that told me 1911's have a slow lock-up time. It came up because I asked him if a titanium firing pin (like those that Springfield puts in their A1 Loaded models) would improve lock-up time - and hence, accuracy - the way a skeletonized hammer does. He said don't bother becuase of the lock-up time thing, and also that titanium firing pins wear much faster.
Anyway, I probably won't get around to any BE competitons anytime soon, but accuracy is still the major focus. And the 40 S&W choice is merely because I already have a 9mm Beretta 92FS (with a .22 conversion kit), and the Para .45, so I just wanted something with good target sights in a different caliber.

Quick Reply: Best 40 S&W target pistol?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.