Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 7mm Rem Mag v. .270 >

7mm Rem Mag v. .270

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

7mm Rem Mag v. .270

Old 01-05-2005, 08:05 AM
Fork Horn

Default 7mm Rem Mag v. .270

If you already owned a .270, when would you need a 7mm Rem Mag? Not trying to start any 'which is better' troll, I just found a good deal on a 7 and would like to be able to justify the purchase.
Old 01-05-2005, 08:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 7mm Rem Mag v. .270

I personally dont think 7 mag is needed for anything but maybe elk and moose, They are questionable also. If you can hunt them succesfully with a bow and/or muzzeloader. Why do you need a 7mm Mag.
Old 01-05-2005, 08:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

personally dont think 7 mag is needed for anything but maybe elk and moose, They are questionable also. If you can hunt them succesfully with a bow and/or muzzeloader. Why do you need a 7mm Mag.
Why are they questionable?
Old 01-05-2005, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like the 7mm RM,you can get fairly heavy bullets for it and get good penetration,but it is a meat destroyer.
The 7mm RM makes a better elk gun than the 270 Win.(IMHO).If all you hunt is deer,and you already own a 270,there would be no reason to buy a 7mm unless you just wan't it.
Old 01-05-2005, 09:28 AM
bigcountry

With the larger caliber, you can shoot heavier bullets. Slightly anyway and have the power to push them. I see the 270 as on the low end for moose and elk even with 150gr bullets. But a 7mmRM with 160s kicking at 2950fps would be in the middle range.

Old 01-05-2005, 10:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Do you really need an excuse to buy a new gun? You could always buy it now and sell it later if you needed to especailly if you got a good deal on it.
Old 01-05-2005, 10:27 AM

ORIGINAL: kelbro
If you already owned a .270, when would you need a 7mm Rem Mag? Not trying to start any 'which is better' troll, I just found a good deal on a 7 and would like to be able to justify the purchase.
First off, as you know, there's not much difference in bullet diameter between the two
(270 = .277" and 7mm = .284", a diff. of just .007"). The "real" difference is going to
be in bullet weights available in factory ammo, and increased velocity & energy with the
7mm Rem.Mag.
So, when would I think I would need the 7mm vs. the 270Win.: whenever I thought I might need a heavier bullet, say for elk, moose, etc., and/or wanted more "punch"
(more velocity & energy), and a little flatter trajectory.
As far as justification goes, note the "need", and of course, who wants to pass up on
a good deal? Besides, most good guns retain their value, and even increase in value as time goes on. Look on it as a good investment. Buy now, before the prices go up even more - and they will.
Old 01-05-2005, 10:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

If you already owned a .270, when would you need a 7mm Rem Mag?
Honestly, you wouldn't.

But who am I to stop someone from buying a new rifle? If you are trying to justify it to yourself the only justification you need is that it's a new rifle. If you're trying to justify it to a wife then use the reasons stated above.

Why are they questionable?
They're not. As you know.
Old 01-05-2005, 10:49 AM
Fork Horn

Well, I have a safe full of former 'needs' that just seem to get picked over when it comes time to shoot a deer or hog. I almost always grab the .270 because it feels good, shoots good, and has always done what I asked it to do.

I may be moving out to Arizona soon and it looks like a lot different hunting than I have grown up doing here in S. Texas. I have been thinking that I now 'need' a bigger game, longer range rifle. The rifle that I've got a chance at is a 7mm Rem Mag Browning A-Bolt Medallion. Beautiful wood and I'm a sucker for pretty walnut. And yes, I can probably sell it right away for more than I'm going to pay for it LOL.
Old 01-05-2005, 11:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Being I own both I can only speak to my reasoning for doing so, which amounts to about a penny's worth..lol.

My reason for buying a 7mm rem mag was mainly based on larger bullet selection for bigger game the likes of elk and moose which I hunt regularly. Also to remove the limits I had in place prior when using a 270 win for these larger animals. It just gave me more range if you will. Now why I didn't step up to a 300 or larger is based on a shoulder injury. I shot many rifles prior to making my decision, including previous owning 300wby . My criteria was I must be able to practice without feeling the effects afterwards and not requiring a Muzzlebreak to do so. A lot has changed since then so I am sure I could combat that now and my shoulder has recouped some but I simply have no need for the time being for more gun. The 7mm rem mag has become my all around biggame CF mainly because it fits me to a T, shoots amazing and I have the utmost confidence when I am toting it. It has put down everything I have pointed at with ease. I also don't see it being anymore devasting on the meat compared to my 270 which I used 130 NBT's as my deer medicine. In short i am pleased with my desicion.

Is it required that is up to you, but it is a good choice for deer up IMHO.

Best of luck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.