Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Scope for a 7mm rifle? >

Scope for a 7mm rifle?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Scope for a 7mm rifle?

Old 01-04-2005, 04:54 PM

Default Scope for a 7mm rifle?

I see the poll and it looks like Leupold is the overwelming favorite. I have never owned a scope so I have no experience. I like the way the Bushnells look and I have bushnell binocs and I like them very much. Is everyone choosing Leupold because they havent used anything else? Has anyone tried a Bushnell? Any info would be great. The dealer I bought my gun from recommended the Leupold VX-1.
Old 01-04-2005, 05:01 PM

Default RE: Scope for a 7mm rifle?

everyones choosing leupold because they aren't even in the same league as a bushnell. There just isn't any comparision to the bushnell.

I hope that this catches you before you buy a bushnell.

PS i have a tasco that I took off of a friends 3006 after he said "I can't hit anything" and "are the crosshairs supposed to form an x?" not t.
Old 01-04-2005, 05:06 PM

the optical quality and life expectancy of the leupolds is much better than a bushnell. Recoil on a 7 isn't extreme, but it might break a bushnell. It broke a simmons on mine. And, yes there are leupolds out there that have broken, just not as many. And none that i personally know of.
Old 01-04-2005, 05:08 PM
Fork Horn

you can't go wrong with a leuopold. great quality and great price. i'm not sure how good the bushnell is.
Old 01-04-2005, 05:35 PM

Alright well that seems like enough info. I guess I will just buy the VX-1 when I get enough money.
Old 01-04-2005, 05:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: UPofMichHunter

Alright well that seems like enough info. I guess I will just buy the VX-1 when I get enough money.
When people on here rave about the Leupolds im sure they are not talking about the VX I's. The VX III's are of superior quality, but when a VX I is concidered, a similar priced high end Simmons or Nikon will match or surpass the quality of a VX I. I will bet lots of money that says in a match up of strength, durability, and low light situations, a Simmons Aetec will out perform a VX-I any day of the week, and it costs less!!!!
Old 01-04-2005, 05:59 PM

vx-i are much earlier and don't have alot of the features that the newer vx-ii, vx-iii, and lps series have.

they are things like lens coating, etc.

this makes a difference as to the clarity and light transmission.
Old 01-04-2005, 06:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

Depends on what Bushnell and Leupold you are comparing.

If you compare the VX-III with the Bushnell sportsman of course the Leupold will be the better scope. Now compare the VX-III with the Bushnell elite 4200 and the 4200 will be optically better. It is clearer, crisper, and brighter than the VX-III.

Until you get to the VX-III line of Leupold optics they don't offer too much IMHO. I still think they are over priced when you compare them to other optics in the same price range. There are much better scopes than what Leupold offers in their lower end lines and even in their upper end lines. Many times you will find much superior optics than Leupold offers for the same price range. Kind of like paying $250.00 for a pair of Oakley sunglasses.[]

If you really want a scope that is truely far ahead of the competition in terms of what it offers compared to what it costs look no farther than the Burris Full field II. It costs what a Leupold rifleman costs ($200) but compares optically to the VX-III line that Leupold offers. It beats a VX-1 hands down. It also has a "forever" warranty. Before you buy a Leupold look at a BURRIS.

Take a look at the comparison they have on their web site.
Old 01-04-2005, 06:35 PM
Typical Buck

smokem joe... You have no idea what you are talking about.

First off Leupold currently makes the VX-I, VX-II, and VX-III.

For more info go to www.optictalk.com... Those people know a lot of stuff...

Here is some info...

The VX-I is only considered good because it is a Leupold. It has relatively very poor light transmission and does not even have click adjustments, it is no where near as nice as the Bushnell 3200 which it is comparably priced too.

What you should know.

The cheaper Bushnells aren't really that great, although they are probaly more in line with Leupold VX-I... GASP!!! Yes I said that, this is why...

They Leupold VX-I is not multicoated = poor light transmission, has no click adjustments similar to say the Bushnell Banner.

The Bushnell Elite series (3200 and 4200) is really the Bausch and Lomb scope which was bought by Bushnell.

The elite 3200 and 4200 have fully multicoated lenses (good light transmission), have 1/4 click adjustments, and you can get the firefly recticle if that floats your boat, not to mention they are "cheap" compared to the Leupolds.

I have a Leupold VX-II and actually like it a lot... The Leupolds tend to have much better eye releif than the competition. Bushnell is actually very poor when it comes to this. It is a good scope, but really overpriced. You are paying a premium for the name when you buy a Leupold. They do have great customer service.

In my opinion in the under 150 dollar range the Simmons Aetec scope can't be beat... It is fully muliticoated lenses, 1/4 click adjustments, 5 inches of eye releif (one of the best) for aroun $125!

The facts are the facts... Take the name out of the equation and the answers become more clear. There is NO reason to buy a Leupold rifleman or VX-I scope... They just don't offer any features worth anything. If you are considering a Leupold scope the minimum you should consider is the VX-II. Otherwise, think of other more cost effective brands.

Like I said go to www.optictalk.com and see what they say...
Old 01-04-2005, 07:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

The VX III's are of superior quality,
Not compared to other scopes in the same price range.The ziess conquest offers superior optics at a comparable price.

Quick Reply: Scope for a 7mm rifle?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.