Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 ice with and plink around need a good pistal cal >

ice with and plink around need a good pistal cal

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

ice with and plink around need a good pistal cal

Old 01-04-2005, 12:03 AM

Default ice with and plink around need a good pistal cal

i am looking to buy a pistol mostly just to target practice
with plink around but yet powerfull enough to do a little
damage to something if nessicary not expensive to shoot
any good calibers you can think of
i know almost nothing about pistols
Old 01-04-2005, 05:18 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: ice with and plink around need a good pistal cal

go and play with some at your local gun shop... See what feels best. In my expereince most people start with one of the wonder-nine set this day and age... Glock 9mm and clones.

If you don't care about "doing damage" the ruger mark II can't be beat, VERY cheap to shoot (.22 LR). and great for target practice.

You might just want to start with the best pistol design ever... The 1911!!! I have played with alot of other pistolsand have decided the 1911 is head over heals better than the others... I just love the feel of that gun... It is the standard in target shooting as well and is chambered in .45 ACP which is more potent than the 9mm's out there.
Old 01-04-2005, 09:19 AM

You have another vote for the 1911 only downside is price but you have to pay to play with the best.
Old 01-04-2005, 09:36 AM
Spike

I seem to shoot revolvers more accurately than autos. The .38/.357 is very versatile. Cheap .38 target loads on up to some powerful .357 loads. Also I do not burn up as much ammo plinking with a revolver.
Old 01-04-2005, 11:15 AM

Get a 1911 in 45acp,and a .22lr conversion for all day plinking and the 45acp for doing damage.
Old 01-04-2005, 12:09 PM

I'm all for the 1911 and the .22 conversion even though the setup would be costly. A decent 1911 will run about $500 and a nice conversion around $200, but at the end of the day you would have one of the nicest setups in town.
Old 01-04-2005, 01:49 PM

I bought a $90 nine millimeter (hi point) and have put three thousand rounds through it, I bought it to do a little experimentation on how long it would last. I haven't cleaned it or anything. I just tear it down periodically to make sure that it is still safe to operate. ammo is cheap. it is fun to shoot. but it is kind of like bringing a big girl home, sure can be fun but don't let your friends catch you.
Old 01-04-2005, 07:01 PM
Typical Buck

since you don't have much experience with pistols... This is what one should look like... This is my Kimber Team Match with custom rosewood grips (didn't really care for the patriotic ones which came with them... I really think Kimber offers a great product for the price, although their are a lot of people whom like the Springfields, they are pretty nice too... I guess nothing can beat the old Colts though (not the new ones).

Old 01-04-2005, 07:02 PM
Typical Buck

other side...

Old 01-04-2005, 07:57 PM

Recommend a 357Mag. revolver. With a good 357 revolver you can shoot both 38Special, the +P's, and 357Magnum ammo. Everything from target wadcutters to 180gr.JHP 357's for deer hunting. Ammo can be pretty inexpensive too. And, with
several 357 loads, you can do a lot of "damage".
Take a look at the Ruger GP100 series of revolvers - built like tanks. Reliable, accurate,
and DURABLE.

Quick Reply: ice with and plink around need a good pistal cal

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.